• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Given how much a punter can impact a game, are you sure about that? My feeling is that kickers and punters are not valued enough during a draft, given the impact they can have on a game. Remember what Mike Scifres did for the Chargers, literally winning a playoff game. Take a look at the quality of players one usually gets in the 3rd round - guys like Trey Pipkins, Justin Jones, Dan Feeney, Max Tuerk, Craig Mager and Chris Watt. Go back and look at players drafted in the 3rd round by any team in the NFL. Rarely does a player drafted in the 3rd round have the impact that a great, gifted punter can have.
    Scifres was a 5th round pick so yes I think Araiza is being over drafted in here. Most punters don't get drafted at all and when they do it's 5th round on down.

There are 3 or 4 good punters in this draft.

​​​​​​
    11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
    35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
    37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
    66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
    69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
    100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
    110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
    140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
    181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
    225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• equivocation
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Given how much a punter can impact a game, are you sure about that? My feeling is that kickers and punters are not valued enough during a draft, given the impact they can have on a game. Remember what Mike Scifres did for the Chargers, literally winning a playoff game. Take a look at the quality of players one usually gets in the 3rd round - guys like Trey Pipkins, Justin Jones, Dan Feeney, Max Tuerk, Craig Mager and Chris Watt. Go back and look at players drafted in the 3rd round by any team in the NFL. Rarely does a player drafted in the 3rd round have the impact that a great, gifted punter can have.
      Scifres won games with accuracy. There are 3 punters available round 6 or 7 who are more accurate than Araiza.

Comment

• gzubeck
        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
        • Jan 2019
        • Tucson, AZ
        • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

Scifres won games with accuracy. There are 3 punters available round 6 or 7 who are more accurate than Araiza.
        I just want to see a punter who actually plays football as well. Araiza loves to set the tone by actually sticking the runner and making tackles after punts. Fun to watch but yeah don't go crazy over drafting.

:hello:
        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
        X