POLL: Will TT Pick Up Tillery's 5th Year Option?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

The Bengals have picked up the 5th year option on their left tackle, Jonah Williams, selected No. 11 overall in 2019. He has missed a lot of time with injuries, but played well last season.

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

I don't look at the DT position as a two man position. I think it takes four because those bug dudes run out of gas after a few plays. So in my way of looking at it, Tillery is our number three of the four man rotation. He's also the best pass rusher.

One way or other I look for Tillery to be back and I expect him to be important to our pass rush. Maybe a new contract, maybe they'll just pick up the option, but I expect him back.
      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
        I don't look at the DT position as a two man position. I think it takes four because those bug dudes run out of gas after a few plays. So in my way of looking at it, Tillery is our number three of the four man rotation. He's also the best pass rusher.

One way or other I look for Tillery to be back and I expect him to be important to our pass rush. Maybe a new contract, maybe they'll just pick up the option, but I expect him back.
        The new DL they just drafted out of UCLA has the same skill set as Tillery, an interior defensive lineman with a long body who can rush the passer from the middle, but is not a good run defender. I don't know what that means for Tillery, if anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Velo View Post
          I say no. TT will not pick up Tillery's 5th year option, based on Tillery's performance in his first three seasons. Telesco has to make the decision in the next few days, and I believe Tillery's 2022 and 23 salaries would be guaranteed. He is set to earn just over $2 mil this season; if Telesco picks up the option, Tillery would get paid $13 mil for his 2022 & 23 salaries. He has not earned that, IMO.
          I would not only not pick up the 5th year option, I would cut him if I could save a dollar. IMO, the team is better with him not on the roster and not on the field for us ever.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I think Tillery just got pushed.

Comment

• equivocation
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2021
              • Send PM

Still 'no'.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Send PM

Telesco/Staley are cutting it close to the wire. The deadline to exercise the option is tomorrow. I wonder if they will take this long to decide on Herbert next year.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Wow! That is a very bold prediction.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I would not only not pick up the 5th year option, I would cut him if I could save a dollar. IMO, the team is better with him not on the roster and not on the field for us ever.
                    And replace him with whom?

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                      Telesco/Staley are cutting it close to the wire. The deadline to exercise the option is tomorrow. I wonder if they will take this long to decide on Herbert next year.
                      They'll decline, but in a manner that makes it seem like they agonized over the decision.

Why tell him 4 weeks ago that they had absolutely zero inclination to extend him?
                      If Chaincrusher was the GM, he'd go so far as to tell Tillery that he probably won't make the roster
                      because he's a waste of a roster spot.:goofylol:

Bulaga redux.....waiting to the last second to do something everyone knows is the eventual outcome.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Utah
                        • Midnight Toker
                        • Send PM

It sucks he's shown flashes. But for me, it's a simple equation. Would I draft him again in that spot? If the answer is HELL NO. Then he probably isn't worth the 5th year.

Comment

• northerner
                          Charger fan since '79
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

And replace him with whom?
                          this is the critical question. the past is the past (disappointing high draft pick, etc.), all that matters is putting together the best d-line we can right now.

Comment

Working...
                          X