POLL: Will TT Pick Up Tillery's 5th Year Option?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maniaque 6
    French Speaking Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Québec city
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

I looked... they were not trolls, lol.
    Maybe family's members ?

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Yeah, Telesco probably didn't think his early production translated to a near Franchise cost.. I would love a great season out of Tillery this season, but with contracts due on Derwin and Justin Herbert, its going to be hard to shoehorn him in.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
          Fluent in Sarcasm
          • Jun 2013
          • Iowa
          • Man of the People
          • Send PM

The only better news would be if we were releasing him outright.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Yeah, in the past few days with multiple teams declining on decent players, I was pretty sure they were going to decline on Tillery. He's due to make $2.05 mil this season, then his salary would've jumped to $10.75 mil next season under the 5th year option, and all of it would have been guaranteed. Nope.

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
              The only better news would be if we were releasing him outright.
              Nah. He’s the only DT who can provide a pass rush on the team. Anyone else in FA we try to pick up would probably cost more. All the DT moves we did this year was made to keep him from ever seeing the field except on obvious passing downs.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

We can always sign him next year at market rate, but not for $10.75 mil.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                  Yeah, Telesco probably didn't think his early production translated to a near Franchise cost.. I would love a great season out of Tillery this season, but with contracts due on Derwin and Justin Herbert, its going to be hard to shoehorn him in.
                  I just hope that Tillery has the type of season that makes him a good commodity in free agency next spring.

Chargers are pretty much capped out for 2023 per OTC if you include the 22 and 23 draft classes plus the 53 man roster - so Tillery at over $10m guaranteed was a tough one to allocate based on his first four years.

Comment

• equivocation
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2021
                    • Send PM

Everybody can now relax.

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

"Thank you, but no thank you."
                      G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Next year Telesco/Staley will have to decide on not just Herbert but Murray as well. I suspect they will sign Herbert to a long-term contract, the first year he is eligible for a contract extension. But for Murray, unless he has absolute studly breakout season and makes All Pro, they will most assuredly decline his 5th year option.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                          Tillery should only be on the field on passing downs because that’s where he’s best at. Even Telesco implied as much. I just don’t think a role guy like him should get his 5th picked up. Maybe he’ll blow it up this year but that’s the small risk you take.
                          I agree that Tillery is a better pass rusher than most end of the roster DTs (quite an accomplishment for a first round draft pick :facepalm1, but just how much of a passing situation does it have to be to feel comfortable with Tillery on the field? For me, I have no confidence that the opponent will not pop a 10+ yard run at any time with Tillery in the lineup, so I would need to see 3rd and 11+ yards at a minimum before I would have even a small degree of comfort.

I just do not think we need to carve out a special role for a player like that that may produce about 2 more sacks than the typical bull rushing DT with no pass rushing ability whatsoever. Tillery seems to give opponents extra yardage in the running game about 10 times for every good pass rushing play he makes. I literally would not roster him at all. The faster we move on from a mistake, the faster we can roster a better player.

Comment

Working...
                          X