POLL: Will TT Pick Up Tillery's 5th Year Option?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I agree that Tillery is a better pass rusher than most end of the roster DTs (quite an accomplishment for a first round draft pick :facepalm1, but just how much of a passing situation does it have to be to feel comfortable with Tillery on the field? For me, I have no confidence that the opponent will not pop a 10+ yard run at any time with Tillery in the lineup, so I would need to see 3rd and 11+ yards at a minimum before I would have even a small degree of comfort.

I just do not think we need to carve out a special role for a player like that that may produce about 2 more sacks than the typical bull rushing DT with no pass rushing ability whatsoever. Tillery seems to give opponents extra yardage in the running game about 10 times for every good pass rushing play he makes. I literally would not roster him at all. The faster we move on from a mistake, the faster we can roster a better player.
    The percentage of teams running on 3rd and 10 are pretty low even with Tillery on the field. In fact, unless they’re a predominantly rushing team like the Titans, they’re more likely to pass even if it was only 5 yards. At the end of day, he can probably produce more pressure and sacks if he wasn’t a full time starter and just concentrated on pass rushing instead of stopping the run. It’s a good niche to have for someone like him. Staley knows his limitations after last year, and that’s why he loaded up on run stoppers at key positions.

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

Tillery will have his best season, walk and net us a 4th comp pick
      P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
      P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
      P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
      P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
        Tillery will have his best season, walk and net us a 4th comp pick
        One can only hope.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Tillery might have saved the Chargers from having Drew Lock instead of Justin Herbert. I believe Telesco had considered drafting Lock in 2019, and might have if not for Tillery. The Broncos drafted Lock a few picks later. If Telesco had drafted Lock in 2019, he would not have drafted Herbert in 2020. So I really don't mind Tillery being a bust, because what could have been is much worse.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
            The only better news would be if we were releasing him outright.
            Okay, this'll be his last (maybe) season. But the team is going to need to find another DT (aside from OO the rookie draft pick) who is as good as Tillery in pass rush to fill his shoes if they let him walk.

Originally posted by blueman View Post
            We can always sign him next year at market rate, but not for $10.75 mil.
            He'll probably end up like Jones and White. If he has his best season he is going to desire the money.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
              I've said this before and I'll say it again. Tillery might have saved the Chargers from having Drew Lock instead of Justin Herbert. I believe Telesco had considered drafting Lock in 2019, and might have if not for Tillery. The Broncos drafted Lock a few picks later. If Telesco had drafted Lock in 2019, he would not have drafted Herbert in 2020. So I really don't mind Tillery being a bust, because what could have been is much worse.
              What do you base your belief about Lock being drafted on?

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

What do you base your belief about Lock being drafted on?
                Leading up to the 2019 draft, I read more than one report that Lock was on Telesco's radar in the 1st round. They wanted to ease in a successor to Rivers. I was expecting Lock to be the Chargers' 1st round pick. I think Telesco was considering it.

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Steelers decline to pick up Bush’s 5th year option. Ouch.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

The percentage of teams running on 3rd and 10 are pretty low even with Tillery on the field. In fact, unless they’re a predominantly rushing team like the Titans, they’re more likely to pass even if it was only 5 yards. At the end of day, he can probably produce more pressure and sacks if he wasn’t a full time starter and just concentrated on pass rushing instead of stopping the run. It’s a good niche to have for someone like him. Staley knows his limitations after last year, and that’s why he loaded up on run stoppers at key positions.
                    The concern is that even in 3rd and 10, teams can rush at/through Tillery and frequently and fairly easily get 7-8+ yards, especially with an even man front (i.e., only two interior DL players on the field) as might typically be seen in a nickel or dime defense. That may put them in position to go for it on 4th down depending on field position. In some cases, they may even pick up the whole 10 yards by running the ball.

I would rather give up the difference of two sacks over the course of a whole season, which is the difference between Tillery's whopping 4.5 sacks and the estimated 2.5 sacks that "Joe Schmoe" DL player would get for us by just being on the field enough snaps during the season, to prevent the run possibility altogether. With Tillery on the field, the defense is susceptible to a whole other set of plays to which it is not susceptible with literally any other DL player on the roster on the field.

It is not worth it. Tillery is nowhere close to the likes of Donald, Simmons or Chris Jones, and some on this forum make his pass rushing capabilities sound like that kind of pass rush is what we would be giving up by not having Tillery on the field. The reality is that his pass rushing ability is marginally better than Joe Schmoe DL player, but his run defending just might be the worst in the league.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

The concern is that even in 3rd and 10, teams can rush at/through Tillery and frequently and fairly easily get 7-8+ yards, especially with an even man front (i.e., only two interior DL players on the field) as might typically be seen in a nickel or dime defense. That may put them in position to go for it on 4th down depending on field position. In some cases, they may even pick up the whole 10 yards by running the ball.

I would rather give up the difference of two sacks over the course of a whole season, which is the difference between Tillery's whopping 4.5 sacks and the estimated 2.5 sacks that "Joe Schmoe" DL player would get for us by just being on the field enough snaps during the season, to prevent the run possibility altogether. With Tillery on the field, the defense is susceptible to a whole other set of plays to which it is not susceptible with literally any other DL player on the roster on the field.

It is not worth it. Tillery is nowhere close to the likes of Donald, Simmons or Chris Jones, and some on this forum make his pass rushing capabilities sound like that kind of pass rush is what we would be giving up by not having Tillery on the field. The reality is that his pass rushing ability is marginally better than Joe Schmoe DL player, but his run defending just might be the worst in the league.
                      Tillery got 4.5 sacks only because he had to be a full time starter with Jones and Joseph constantly out of the lineup. I would wage it’ll be much higher if he’s only on third and long.

And if you can get me the running plays on third downs and distance last season, as well as when it happened in the gam, that would be greatly appreciated. I would like to see the breakdown of passing plays versus running plays when it’s at least 5 yards or longer on third down.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                        Tillery got 4.5 sacks only because he had to be a full time starter with Jones and Joseph constantly out of the lineup. I would wage it’ll be much higher if he’s only on third and long.

And if you can get me the running plays on third downs and distance last season, as well as when it happened in the gam, that would be greatly appreciated. I would like to see the breakdown of passing plays versus running plays when it’s at least 5 yards or longer on third down.
                        So, have you ever seen Jerry Tillery play football? Feel free to re-watch all of the games.

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

So, have you ever seen Jerry Tillery play football? Feel free to re-watch all of the games.
                          Yes I have. If you’re going to make up scenarios about rushing on 3rd downs, then I need you to back it up for me with proof.

Comment

Working...
                          X