Welcome Zion Johnson, OG, Boston College (R1, #17)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

We are only keeping 8 maybe 9 OL on the roster. Storm could very well be cut.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Never saw the truck coming, but I do like the pain.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
        Fluent in Sarcasm
        • Jun 2013
        • Iowa
        • Man of the People
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

They carried 10 last year, slater, feiler, linsley, aboushi, bulaga, norton, pipkins, jaimes, quessenberry, and schofield. Then when bulaga made his quick exit they again filled the roster to ten OL with kelemete. You think because they have better quality on Oline now it means they’ll carry one fewer?

if the season started today, slater, feiler, linsley, johnson, pipkins, then norton is the swing, jaimes, clapp, and hunter? I don’t know if that’s good enough in a 17 game season…at minimum they need another tackle even if pipkins is penciled in as the starter.
        Schofield wasn’t on the opening roster. The opening day roster had 9 OL: Slater, Feiler, Linsley, Aboushi, Bulaga, Jaimes, Pipkins, Storm, and Quessenberry. Kelemete and Schofield replaced Aboushi and Bulaga who both went to IR, keeping us at 9 active OL.

I do agree that they need another OT, which is why I said a draft pick and Pipkins/Norton would be the backup OTs.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

Schofield wasn’t on the opening roster. The opening day roster had 9 OL: Slater, Feiler, Linsley, Aboushi, Bulaga, Jaimes, Pipkins, Storm, and Quessenberry. Kelemete and Schofield replaced Aboushi and Bulaga who both went to IR, keeping us at 9 active OL.

I do agree that they need another OT, which is why I said a draft pick and Pipkins/Norton would be the backup OTs.
          I like the 9 keep 8 active on the game day roster plan. I just remember the one game Dielman against the Jets got the career ending concussion - only dressed 7. So did Dielman have to go back in that game or did the concussion end his career - will never know

But I am always about 9, keep 8 active. Hell, I would do 10, keep 9 active if need be.
          Chargers are in a good spot - I have no idea what they are going to do today and especially tomorrow but I think a solid offseason

As for OT - see how the draft goes, maybe they find one in R3 or R4 - but otherwise, I thikn a veteran will be signed for depth. Dennis Kelly, Darryl Williams, Duane Brown are a few names, maybe Reiff too. Thats four names that are probably better depth at this point than Storm Norton.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
            French Speaking Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Québec city
            • Send PM

Even if you were not my first choice, welcome to LA, Zion.

file:///C:/Users/a15043/Desktop/Gianna%20Logo%20Dress%20_%20GUESS%20Factory%20Ca.h tml

P.S. Mike Williams and Justin Herbert were not my choices neither in recent years.
            Last edited by Maniaque 6; 04-29-2022, 08:24 AM.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

It's nice to have a plethora of weapons at WR for Herbert to crush opposing defenses with. But it's more important to build a wall around Herbert and protect him so he has time to hit his weapons.

The Chargers had a great OL early in the Rivers era, with Marcus McNeill, Kris Dielman, Nick Hardwick, Mike Goff and Shane Olivea. This line TT/Staley are putting together may the best yet.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Popper’s article on Zion:
                The Chargers went from 2013 to 2020 without drafting a first-round offensive lineman. Now they've taken one two drafts in a row.

A rugged, tough football team’: Chargers invest in offensive line again with Zion Johnson

From the moment Brandon Staley took over as Chargers head coach in the winter of 2021, his roster-building priority — particularly on offense — was clearly stated.

“You have to be a line of scrimmage team in this league,” Staley said two weeks after he was hired. “And we certainly are hoping to be able to live that.”

The Chargers’ allocation of capital has aligned with that vision. They signed center Corey Linsley to a top-of-the-market contract in free agency that March. In the same week, they signed guard Matt Feiler to a long-term deal. They drafted left tackle Rashawn Slater with the No. 13 pick that April.

A year later, the commitment to that process — building an offense that can dominate the line of scrimmage and protect star quarterback Justin Herbert — has not wavered. In fact, it has only strengthened.

And that is why the Chargers selected Boston College offensive lineman Zion Johnson with the 17th pick in the first round of the draftThursday night.

“That’s what stands the test of time in the league. In the game of football, what stands the test of time is what happens up front,” Staley said. “It’s the one place I feel like on the field that it’s really hard to make up for. If you’re not good up front, it’s really hard as a play caller to make up for that. OK? And if you do, you have to overcompensate in such a way that it really inhibits your ability to make plays.”

Johnson has the skill set and polish to be an immediate starter on the interior of the Chargers offensive line. For now, his starting spot will be at right guard. And we will get to how he fits specifically in a moment.

Hard to argue with more protection for Justin Herbert
                What Boston College OL Zion Johnson brings to the Los Angeles Chargers

On a broader level, the Chargers needed more talent on the offensive line. Johnson addresses that need. He is smart, powerful and physical. And along with Feiler and Linsley, the Chargers now have a sturdy and imposing interior to keep Herbert upright and make an impact in the running game.

“He’s tough, he’s durable,” general manager Tom Telesco said. “We have some excellent skill players. … We have Justin Herbert, obviously. These guys cannot really do their jobs without a rock-solid offensive line. So as much as this pick is to protect our quarterback, which is a big part of it, it’s also to facilitate everybody else. So it’s pass protection, it’s run game. When we’re in the second half of the game and we have the lead and we got to the run the ball and they know we’re going to run the ball, he’s going to help there. So if he does what we think he can do, he’s going to play 900 to 1,000 snaps for us his rookie year.”

Said Staley: “He’s really, really impressive. Smart, tough, really physical, versatile, played in a pro-style offense. I think from a physical standpoint, big hands, long arms, really good feet, can really anchor in pass protection against the biggest, strongest, best interior players in the league. Just really felt like this guy was a really complete player in both the run game and in the pass game. And, again, just his intangibles really fit what we were looking for.”

Johnson played for head coach Jeff Hafley at Boston College. Hafley coached in the NFL as a defensive backs coach for the Buccaneers, Browns and 49ers from 2012 to 2018. Johnson’s offensive coordinator at BC, Frank Cignetti Jr., coached in the NFL in 2007 and from 2012 to 2018, including in 2015 as the Rams offensive coordinator. His offensive line coach, Matt Applebaum, is now the OL coach on Mike McDaniel’s Dolphins staff.

Johnson is prepared for NFL schematics, both in pass protection and as a run blocker. That was part of the appeal for the Chargers.

“You’re seeing him do things that really translate to the NFL,” Staley said of watching Johnson on film. “You’re really able to see this guy operate.”

The Chargers relied heavily on the left side of their offensive line — Slater, Feiler and Linsley — last season. They were solid in pass protection, but they also created a vast majority of the Chargers’ rushing production. On runs to the left guard, left tackle and off the left tackle in 2021, the Chargers averaged 4.91 yards per carry, according to Sharp Football Stats. On all other runs, the Chargers averaged 3.61 yards per carry.

As Staley said, adding Johnson to the interior “really balances our run game.”

“He gives you a two-way go,” Staley said.

Both Staley and Telesco said the Chargers will keep Feiler at left guard for this season.

“That was the strength of our O-line unit last year,” Staley said, “and we really kind of believe in that chemistry.”

That will leave them exposed at right tackle. Trey Pipkins and Storm Norton are in line to compete for that starting spot — though the Chargers do have nine more picks in this draft, starting with No. 79 in the third round Friday.

Staley was more concerned with solidifying the interior.

“We were looking for power players on offense, particularly inside, and now we feel like we have that,” Staley said. “You have Matt, Corey and Zion, and that’s a really impressive trio in there.”

Staley added of Johnson: “He can pass protect inside. You can help tackles in this league a lot more than you can help inside players, and it’s a lot easier to neutralize an edge rusher than an interior rusher. And so when you have to go block the Aaron Donalds of the world, the Chris Joneses of the world, the DeForest Buckners of the world, when you got to go block those type of players inside with the money on the line, you got to have an inside three that can get it done. And we feel like Zion can do that at a really high level.”

The Chargers did not draft an offensive lineman in the first round for eight straight seasons from 2013 to 2020.

Then Staley arrived.

The Chargers have now drafted an offensive lineman in the first round in consecutive years — Slater and Johnson.

“I’m happy to be a Charger,” Johnson said. “I can’t wait to work and earn my right to be one.”

They are building an identity, and it is starting up front.

“What you’re trying to do is build a rugged, tough football team,” Staley said. “That’s what it takes in this league, and that’s what I want to be known for here.”

Comment

• WindsorUK
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Windsor, U.K.
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                  It's nice to have a plethora of weapons at WR for Herbert to crush opposing defenses with. But it's more important to build a wall around Herbert and protect him so he has time to hit his weapons.

The Chargers had a great OL early in the Rivers era, with Marcus McNeill, Kris Dielman, Nick Hardwick, Mike Goff and Shane Olivea. This line TT/Staley are putting together may the best yet.
                  Not to mention Ekeler, Everett, Parham, McKitty and Anderson( when they bring him back)
                  We are so thin at S, CB, LB, RB, Edge,IDL, just say no to a Day 2 WR.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post

Not to mention Ekeler, Everett, Parham, McKitty and Anderson( when they bring him back)
                    I agree. The offense is very deep with good receiving options and there's only so many throws to be had every season. There are far more important priorities IMO.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post

I think the pick in R3 should be
                      CB or even RB, possibly Edge or DT
                      I don't see WR a need in R
                      WR in R4 - maybe
                      Last edited by Bolt4Knob; 04-29-2022, 08:18 AM.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                        French Speaking Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Québec city
                        • Send PM

There are good DBs in 3rd and 4th.

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I think the pick in R should be
                          CB or even RB, possibly Edge or DT
                          I don't see WR a need in R
                          WR in R4 - maybe
                          You may be right, but if it were me I would draft a WR with one of the 6th or 7th round picks, a guy with good raw skills but who is a developmental project, and plan to park him on the PS for 2022.

Comment

Working...
                          X