Welcome Zion Johnson, OG, Boston College (R1, #17)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WindsorUK
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Windsor, U.K.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I’m in the middle of the Atlantic, approaching Funchal tomorrow. So no gelato yet.

I’m 8 hours ahead of San Diego so I went to bed at 3:30 this morning after the Bolts finally picked. It was a long draft day for me.
    That's better than I did.....I went to bed before the draft even started!
    Safe passage.

Comment

• Eurobolt
      *** Jim Harbaugh ***
      • Sep 2018
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Old Marine View Post
      What kind of name is Zion
      Old name I would say Jewish one defo can be found in Bible.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

the sid gillman era featured some awesome lines as did the air coryell era with dan fouts. I wasn’t around for the early charger teams with ron mix and those guys but I remember that late 1970s charger team with the charger power line, shields, wilkerson, macek, white, and washington is the best I’ve seen in my lifetime as a charger fan, that includes the boss ross era that featured swayne, hall, and brock with different guards coming and going, the rivers era line isn’t even in the top five mcneil was okay, even dielman and hardwick are not enough to boost those lines goff had a good year or two tho
        Yeah, I know the OL in the Fouts era was pretty good with those players you listed. That I was when I became a Chargers fan, and I paid all my attention to Fouts, Air Coryell, Jefferson, Winslow and Joiner. I was young, and really didn't think the OL was that important, they were just big bodies you could find anywhere. The 49ers, during their glory years, assembled offensive lines from players they got off the scrap heap. That was their philosophy - Bob McKittrick was their OL coach - they didn't spend a lot of money on the OL, nor spend premium draft capital on OL players. They found decent, competent players and built cohesive units during the '80s that did their job well. It wasn't until the LT era when LT was setting NFL records that I learned to appreciate the OL. It was McNeill, Dielman, and Hardwick who opened my eyes to how important a good OL can be.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Eurobolt View Post

Old name I would say Jewish one defo can be found in Bible.
          Zion is a place name for the Holy Land - Mt Zion in Israel. A Zionist was a Jewish person who advocated a Jewish state in Israel prior to the First and Second world wars.

Comment

• Silversurfer
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2019
            • Los Angeles
            • Send PM

Am I the only one who noticed how big his biceps are? (no homo)

Comment

• Craig440
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

the sid gillman era featured some awesome lines as did the air coryell era with dan fouts. I wasn’t around for the early charger teams with ron mix and those guys but I remember that late 1970s charger team with the charger power line, shields, wilkerson, macek, white, and washington is the best I’ve seen in my lifetime as a charger fan, that includes the boss ross era that featured swayne, hall, and brock with different guards coming and going, the rivers era line isn’t even in the top five mcneil was okay, even dielman and hardwick are not enough to boost those lines goff had a good year or two tho
              I agree on Sids and Coryells OL's. I wish our line would get a little nastier. It pissed me off when that Steeler guy punched Herbie in the stomach and our guys did nothing. Can you imagine if he did that to Fouts? The linemen would kill him.

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Geezbolt View Post

Something in the back of my mind remembered Sweeney being moved to guard, and not drafted as one, even though that may have been Sid Gillman's intention all along. So I did a little research, and the 1996 Chargers Media Guide I have listed his position as "End" from the 1963 Draft. I also went back and looked at his stats from Syracuse. They listed him as a WR of all things, and he even had a few receptions. Here's the link: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...sweeney-1.html
                I remember him being a great guard, but what I remember most was he was a special teams beast in his rookie year and almost always made the tackle on kickoffs. He had a cult following among fans and Balboa Stadium would erupt when he would make the tackle.
                great story.... thx for sharing,

was just going off of Pro Football Reference, which shows him as drafted in '63 as an OG ??
                1 Walt Sweeney 2 G 1975 2 9 12 80 181 0 8 0 0.5 Syracuse
                San Diego/Los Angeles Chargers All-Time Draft History | Pro-Football-Reference.com
                5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Grade A
                  Los Angeles Chargers

Draft pick

Analysis: Leading up to the draft, I thought Johnson would be a good fit for the Chargers because he fills a big hole at right guard. I’ve graded him as a first-round pick for quite a while because he’s smart, hard-working, experienced and does not give ground to any defensive lineman. He’s a 10-year starter with Pro Bowl potential. The Bolts may still look to add a right tackle, but the team can find value at that spot later in the draft.

Chad Reuter reveals his quick-snap grades for all 32 teams based on their decisions from Day 1 of the 2022 NFL Draft.

1st Round litmus test is: 'do I see myself guaranteeing this players' 5th year salary?' With Zion, the answer is Yes.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Craig440 View Post

I agree on Sids and Coryells OL's. I wish our line would get a little nastier. It pissed me off when that Steeler guy punched Herbie in the stomach and our guys did nothing. Can you imagine if he did that to Fouts? The linemen would kill him.
                    I think they were too ******* stunned to do anything. And a singular incident like that won't happen ever again, concerning Justin Herbert.

Comment

• Craig440
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

great story.... thx for sharing,

was just going off of Pro Football Reference, which shows him as drafted in '63 as an OG ??
                      1 Walt Sweeney 2 G 1975 2 9 12 80 181 0 8 0 0.5 Syracuse
                      San Diego/Los Angeles Chargers All-Time Draft History | Pro-Football-Reference.com
                      Walt Sweeney was one of the players my mom sold a house to. His wife was a firecracker and ruled the roost. haha. They lived by Granite Hills in east El Cajon. He was quite a physical presence. I remember after games he always had a bloody crack on the bridge of his nose. It was there every time. I also remember I worked as a box boy at Alpha Beta on Second street. He would come in and shop. There was one check out lady who would almost faint when he was there, she was infatuated. Last I saw him he had a book signing at JP's bar and grill in Tierrasanta shortly before he passed away. He had a bad drug and alcohol problem that he accused the league of causing. He was a good guy. RIP Walt. Theres another old story for ya Chargeroo.

Comment

• PR#1
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Great pick. I'm thrilled the Chargers are dedicated to getting BEEF and protecting Herby.

Comment

• Boltdiehard
                          The Precious
                          • May 2019
                          • Send PM

With Herbert and several of our Oline picks we have some serious brain power happening. Computer Science and cyber security degrees aren’t exactly easy majors.

Comment

Working...
                          X