• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I don’t think clock is really a thing, as long as the O scores, and the D holds. Let the clock be what it may.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
      Beef Before Gazelles
      • May 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
      I don’t think clock is really a thing, as long as the O scores, and the D holds. Let the clock be what it may.
      Dominating the clock means the opposing offense gets fewer possessions... which are opportunities for them to score.

Keeping the opposing offense on their bench also keeps your own defense watching the action from the sidelines, conserving energy for later in the game.

I see no downside at all to stiving to dominate Time of Possession.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Moving the chains, dominating Time of Possession, putting points on the board and keeping the opposing offense off the field-- IMO, those are the four objectives that are most likely to ensure victory.

If the running game is fixed, as we hope, then the offense will be more run/pass balanced than in recent years. That will mean fewer passes, and-- if the idea is to run time off the clock-- fewer long bombs.
        LOL. You put a big smile on my face with this post. I said this two months ago, and a few posters weren't having it.

I'm hoping with the additions of Zion and Spiller (and possibly a contribution from Jamaree Salyer down the road) we will see the running game improve and be more of a factor. For one thing, I would like to have comfort in knowing we can hold a big lead in the second half by running out the clock. Keeping Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, and the other great opposing quarterbacks on the bench would be very nice, too.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Dominating the clock means the opposing offense gets fewer possessions... which are opportunities for them to score.

Keeping the opposing offense on their bench also keeps your own defense watching the action from the sidelines, conserving energy for later in the game.

I see no downside at all to stiving to dominate Time of Possession.
          I think we’re saying the same thing, just different focus.

Comment

• GetBolted
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Mar 2021
            • Butler, PA
            • Send PM

(150) Isaiah Spiller 2022 Minicamp Press Conference | LA Chargers - YouTube

Seems like a humble kid, and thats good to see.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

I agree with the TOP thing, but I think the addition of Spiller & Zion really help by giving options in short-yardage and redzone. Last year, if we ran the ball, you knew it was going to be running the ball to the offensive left to Ekeler in any reasonably important situation. Every D knew what we were going to do.

Adding Zion gives the option of running middle (maybe a bit to the right), as well as the left. Spiller is also an option in the passing game. He isn't another Ekeler, but he is a solid receiver and in pass protection (for a college player). Our first (best) option is to run behind the left side with Feiler and Slater, but teams have to take running to the right or middle of the line as a serious alternative and Herbert can read defenses, so they can't just sell out like they did last year.

Teams that are 1-dimensional in goalline and short-yardage usually have a much harder time coming away with TD. That is especially true for us since we put the excitement back into the FG/XP kicking the last few seasons.

Comment

• Charge!
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by GetBolted View Post
                I like him. I think he will be a better pro than he was in college. We finally have a real NFL quality every down type of back. He will likely lead the team in running carries, while Ekler will likely lead in receptions for RB's. Both players can run and catch passes extremely well and both players are elusive. Spiller adds more power and durability, allowing Ekler to stay healthier and more refreshed. Our RB group will be much improved this season.

Comment

• Pat_Swindle
                  WustinSlurbert
                  • Apr 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                  Remember without Gordon's shit we don't have Herbert.
                  I don't want to give any credit to Melvin Gordon for Chargers landing Justin Herbert. He did hold out 4 games, and Austin Ekeler was ballin' out in Gordon's absence, but how much of a difference was it? I know he looked rusty once he came back, and fumbled twice vs the Vikings, but that was also a game they would have lost, even without the fumbles. But one has to wonder, if Gordon did hold out the whole year, and Ekeler remained the RB1 that whole season in 2019, how much would that have affected their overall record? Would they have won 1, maybe 2 more games with Ekeler in? And would Herbie have slipped a few more spots in his draft class? Ohhhh, my brain hurts now.

Comment

• RobH
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Tokyo, Japan
                    • University English Lecturer
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Pat_Swindle View Post

I don't want to give any credit to Melvin Gordon for Chargers landing Justin Herbert. He did hold out 4 games, and Austin Ekeler was ballin' out in Gordon's absence, but how much of a difference was it? I know he looked rusty once he came back, and fumbled twice vs the Vikings, but that was also a game they would have lost, even without the fumbles. But one has to wonder, if Gordon did hold out the whole year, and Ekeler remained the RB1 that whole season in 2019, how much would that have affected their overall record? Would they have won 1, maybe 2 more games with Ekeler in? And would Herbie have slipped a few more spots in his draft class? Ohhhh, my brain hurts now.
                    And if the dog hadn’t stopped to crap, he would have caught the rabbit.

Comment

• AK47
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      I agree with the TOP thing, but I think the addition of Spiller & Zion really help by giving options in short-yardage and redzone. Last year, if we ran the ball, you knew it was going to be running the ball to the offensive left to Ekeler in any reasonably important situation. Every D knew what we were going to do.
                      The YPC numbers behind Slater last year was actually really good. If we can get those number improved for the other side and the middle of the line it would be great too.

The reason why the other backup RBs sucked was that JJ kept getting hurt and Roundtree/Kelly could not break tackles. So now we look at this kid Spiller. Excellent broken tackle stats which is deceiving. The kid does not break tackles like say Gordon did where it was violent for the defender and Gordon as well. Spiller on the other hand is rather really slick. As if he was drenched in oil spill residue and defenders can't get a grasp on him.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

The YPC numbers behind Slater last year was actually really good. If we can get those number improved for the other side and the middle of the line it would be great too.

The reason why the other backup RBs sucked was that JJ kept getting hurt and Roundtree/Kelly could not break tackles. So now we look at this kid Spiller. Excellent broken tackle stats which is deceiving. The kid does not break tackles like say Gordon did where it was violent for the defender and Gordon as well. Spiller on the other hand is rather really slick. As if he was drenched in oil spill residue and defenders can't get a grasp on him.
                        The YPC doesn't tell you how consistent the running game is. It only tells us how many long runs came off the left side. If you know anything about statistics, it is the left-skewed distribution thing. A single long run, if it is long enough, can keep the YPC high for an entire season, especially if you only consider one side of the line. You can see that is what is happening here https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/d...ion--off-.html (put in LAC).

Comment

• AK47
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • May 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

The YPC doesn't tell you how consistent the running game is. It only tells us how many long runs came off the left side. If you know anything about statistics, it is the left-skewed distribution thing. A single long run, if it is long enough, can keep the YPC high for an entire season, especially if you only consider one side of the line. You can see that is what is happening here https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/d...ion--off-.html (put in LAC).
                          Woah pretty cool rushing map stats. The Raiders are the opposite of us. Sucks running left side of o-line but good on the right.

Comment

Working...
                          X