Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Nope, the good ones were gone. And Guyton has a ways to go. Really, our receivers break down:

Slay

MWill

Ekeler

Likely Everett

Palmer

Likely Spiller

Guyton

So yeah, we may end up with a top 4 receivers group, but Guyton won’t be on that list.
    Guyton is not going to have the opportunity to produce as much as he is capable of, with the depth chart the way it is now, because there is so much talent ahead of him. The Chargers have talent to spare in their corps of receivers of WR/RB/TE. It's a good problem to have; even if talent is not fully utilized. If you look at the depth chart of other team's WRs, you won't find another guy with Guyton's talent at No. 4 or 5. Fourth and fifth WRs don't do the things Guyton does, or make the plays that Guyton does. DeAndre Carter had 300 yds receiving and scored 3 TDs as a WR catching balls from Taylor Heinicke last season. He's going to be 5th on the Chargers depth chart. You don't see guys who are at the bottom of a WR depth chart produce like this. This is why I say the Chargers have the deepest WR corps in the league.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Nope, the good ones were gone. And Guyton has a ways to go. Really, our receivers break down:

Slay

MWill

Ekeler

Likely Everett

Palmer

Likely Spiller

Guyton

So yeah, we may end up with a top 4 receivers group, but Guyton won’t be on that list.
      Can add some parham somewhere in your sandwich? I think above Guyton and Spiller
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
        If you count "receivers" as guys who catch the ball a lot regardless of position letters, answer me this.
        How did Herbert throw for the most yards in the AFC, 2nd most completions in AFC with less than top receiver depth?
        True, MW & KA are the best receiver duo in the AFC but they caught less than half of our receptions.

Tampa Bay was the only team with more receptions and receiving yards.
        Herbert is like Rivers . ..almost and makes players better.

Do you remember in 2010 when our WR had some injuries and hold outs (VJ played in only 5 games) and they signed Kelly Washington from the street and traded a low pick for Patrick Crayton?

Rivers had a terrible WR corps. Those two plus Legadu Nanee had to start 9 games. Think Floyd missed time too ( as usual). Gates had only 50 receptions and missed 6 games as well.

Rivers spread the ball around a lot and we didn't have 1 thousand yard reciever but yet Rivers had 4710 yards and 30 TDs.

That's only 304 less yards than Herbert had last season while throwing 131 less passes....with that WR group.
        Our RBs Sproles had 59 and Mathews had 22. Tolbert had 25.

So there you go.
        Last edited by Boltjolt; 07-06-2022, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Carter has 58 career receptions in 5 years with 5 teams.
          Sure he had 24 last year and scored his ONLY career recieving TDs but c'mon.
          McLaurin had the same QB and just signed a 3 year 71 million contract extension.
          Maybe there is something to this Heineke guy.
          He had more passing yards than Russell Wilson, Goff, Hurt, Bridgewater and Mayfield.

Carter is signed for 1 year and can be cut for 100K if for example, Reed is healthy and shows well in TC and preseason.
          Carter is signed as a return guy.
          Last edited by Boltjolt; 07-05-2022, 11:56 PM.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Herbert is like Rivers . ..almost and makes players better.

Do you remember in 2010 when our WR had some injuries (VJ played in only 5 games) and they signed Washington from the street and traded for Crayton.

Rivers had a terrible WR corps. Those two plus Legadu Nanee had to start 9 games. Think Floyd missed time too ( as usual).

Rivers spread the ball around a lot and we didn't have 1 thousand yard reciever but yet Rivers had 4710 yards and 30 TDs.

That's only 304 less yards than Herbert had last season while throwing 131 less passes....with that WR group. Gates had only 50 receptions and missed 6 games as well.
            Our RBs Sprokes had 59 and Mathews had 22. Tolbert had 25.

So there you go.
            One of the most frustrating years I've ever experienced watching football. A.J. should have just paid Vincent Jackson.

With all of the issues I have with Tom Telesco, at least he took care of Keenan Allen and Mike Williams.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

One of the most frustrating years I've ever experienced watching football. A.J. should have just paid Vincent Jackson.

With all of the issues I have with Tom Telesco, at least he took care of Keenan Allen and Mike Williams.
              Agree but he probably knew VJ had a drinking problem. Im just guessing here. We had no idea how bad it was.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Can add some parham somewhere in your sandwich? I think above Guyton and Spiller
                Oh shit, yeah absolutely.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Here is another one today. Clearly KA and MW are top 3 to 5. Here they are 3rd.

http://@NFL: Is the best returning WR duo in this tweet? https://twitter.com/NFL/status/15448...115525/photo/1 Shared via TweetCaster

Comment

• equivocation
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                    Here is another one today. Clearly KA and MW are top 3 to 5. Here they are 3rd.

http://@NFL: Is the best returning WR duo in this tweet? https://twitter.com/NFL/status/15448...115525/photo/1 Shared via TweetCaster
                    I agree they're top 3 to 5. The rest aren't relative to their roster spot, putting us in the 8-12 range IMO. It's not just about top 2 anymore, we saw what happened when both were doubled last year.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

I agree they're top 3 to 5. The rest aren't relative to their roster spot, putting us in the 8-12 range IMO. It's not just about top 2 anymore, we saw what happened when both were doubled last year.
                      Yup. Why I’m glad we replaced some potential pass-catchers, hoping for better results moving forward.

Comment

• equivocation
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2021
                        • Send PM

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Why I worry about WRs #3-6…

Comment