• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Another guy worth considering is Alexander Johnson, ILB from Denver. He knows the scheme and has been a productive player after getting a late start, although he tore a pec muscle last year and missed more than half the season. While he is over 30, he has only played 2 and a half seasons, so it is more age than mileage.

It would give us someone else to try and push our base ILB with.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2020
      • Oklahoma
      • Send PM

[QUOTE=beachcomber;n1345917]if they sign Aboushi, that would prolly affect a roster spot @RB/FB or OT ??
      on D, they could add another NT, either bring Linval back or sign someone like Danny Shelton, and.... we need another edge, someone like Takkarist McKinley ??
      the guess is that would take the CB group back down to 5, if we added two DL ??

Edit: Callahan included

QB * Herbert, (Peters practice squad)
      RB * Ekeler, Spiller, Horvath, Leddie Brown, Nabers
      WR * Keenan, MW, Palmer, Guyton, Carter
      TE * Everett, McKitty, Parham
      OT * Rashawn, Feiler, Pips, Storm
      OG * Zion, Salyer, Jaimes, Aboushi
      OC * Linsley, Clapp

NT * Ogbonnia, Fehoko or ?
      DT * SJD, Johnson, Tillery, Covington
      DE * Joey, Khalil, Rumph, Fox or ?
      LB * Murray, Tranquil, Reeder, Ogbongbemiga, Niemann
      CB *Jackson, Asante, Davis, Callahan, Taylor, Leonard
      S * Derwin, Nas, Woods, Gilman or Webb

PK * Hopkins
      PT * JK Scott
      LS * Josh Harris
      Last edited by Leslie Grossman; 05-03-2022, 10:14 PM.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

If they really want to add someone, looking at Jerry Hughes or Justin Houston as situational rushers looks like it might be good. Then they can move Bosa around more to gain mismatches, and it would still give Rumph a chance to play on earlier downs, and still rotate in on passing downs if he is developing the moves.

Clowney and Flowers are good players, but they are both looking for starting jobs, not to play 2nd fiddle to Mack and Bosa.

If I brought back Ingram it would be to play goalline MLB, not to be a situational pass rusher. He still adds a little, but not much.

JPP only thing going for him is that he typically plays better every other year, and last year was a bad year for him. But he has a long list of on-field injuries, including the bad shoulder that limited him last year. He also has the very public off-field injuries. But unless he has Lee Major's doctor ($6 mill dollar man reference), I can't see him being a big help, even as a situational rusher.

The only name that really looked good to me that is not on the list is Anthony Barr, and while he has not been used as a pass rusher much in the NFL was viewed as one of the best edge rushers in his draft class, and didn't do much of that because of Minn always had a strong group at edge. He is probably looking for a starting gig, but at this point there are several better options ahead of the list, and while he doesn't have much experience as a edge rusher, he has been a good LB for Minn and sets a pretty good edge vs the run. But given his recent injuries, it would have to be a cheap contract.
        I think it’ll be Morgan Fox. It just makes too much sense given the Staley connection and the other two Rams players he brought in.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

[QUOTE=Leslie Grossman;n1345927]
          Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
          if they sign Aboushi, that would prolly affect a roster spot @RB/FB or OT ??
          on D, they could add another NT, either bring Linval back or sign someone like Danny Shelton, and.... we need another edge, someone like Takkarist McKinley ??
          the guess is that would take the CB group back down to 5, if we added two DL ??

Looks good. I'm adding an edge, guard, and DT, subtracting a FB, RB, and corner if we can squeeze it in under the cap.

QB * Herbert, Peters
          RB * Ekeler, Spiller, Horvath, Leddie Brown or JJ
          WR * Keenan, MW, Palmer, Guyton, Carter
          TE * Everett, McKitty, Parham
          OT * Rashawn, Feiler, Pips, Storm
          OG * Zion, Salyer, Jaimes, Aboushi
          OC * Linsley, Clapp

NT * Ogbonnia, FA vet
          DT * SJD, Johnson, Tillery, Covington
          DE * Joey, Khalil, Rumph, Fox or ?
          LB * Murray, Tranquil, Reeder, Ogbongbemiga, Niemann
          CB *Jackson, Asante, Davis, Tevaughn, Ja-Sir Taylor, Leonard
          S * Derwin, Nas, Woods, Gilman or Webb

PK * Hopkins
          PT * JK Scott
          LS * Josh Harris
          Austin Johnson played NT at Tennessee

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I don’t see us getting another ILB after signing Reeder already. It’s depth at Edge and CB.
            you want to add another CB to the seven we've got right now + an UDFA ??

how do you feel 'bout bringing back Linval, or do you prefer Fehoko, Forrest, or.... ??

and do you like Gaziano @all ?? who do you see us bringing in @ED ?? and CB ??
            5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

you want to add another CB to the seven we've got right now + an UDFA ??

how do you feel 'bout bringing back Linval, or do you prefer Fehoko, Forrest, or.... ??

and do you like Gaziano @all ?? who do you see us bringing in @ED ?? and CB ??
              The depth quality after the starting three CB are questionable IMO. I don’t know if I trust our 6th rounder yet.

I think we’re set at DT unless an injury happens.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                The depth quality after the starting three CB are questionable IMO. I don’t know if I trust our 6th rounder yet.

I think we’re set at DT unless an injury happens.
                Every team's CB4 and/or CB5 are not going to be as good as the top 3 CBs on a team. It's almost like teams having a drop-off after their starting QB once you get to the backup QB. Then you also have the fact that CB4 and/or CB5 makes contributions on special teams, whether to be a gunner, a returner, going for blocks on the kick blocking unit. You don't want any of your starters to be on the kickoff or punt coverage unit, whether it be the cornerbacks or players from the other position groups. The 4th CB doesn't see time on defense that much. Another thing; cornerbacks can play 90% or even 100% of snaps on defense. They can be on the field that much. Unlike a few of the other position groups on a football roster, cornerbacks don't come off the field to go get a breather.

I wouldn't say DT is set. Not quite. The problem the team has in regards to the position is that most of the players are good in only one of run stopping and pass rushing, and not both. OT.OGB seems like someone who is good at both, so his addition helps. SJD and AJ will deliver in run defense, but they'll be the same as Linval Joseph and Justin Jones when it comes to rushing the passer. The defense needs to get as many pass rush penetrators as they can. They don't have enough. Although adding OT.OGB helps. Teams who have two good interior rushers fare better than not. We have the rookie from UCLA and Tillery. It would be great to have another. Covington isn't a guarantee to make the roster, I think we can do better than him. We have Gaziano, Fehoko, and Merrill. I like their upside over Covington. The one I like the best of the three is Gaziano. He can get to the QB, he showed he could do that in college. But we didn't see that in the times he was on the field, because he didn't have that much opportunity. Another thing is Staley overworks the starters on the defensive front, he needs to understand to cut down on the high snap counts, play them on a lower snap count, and not overwork them, it would help Bosa and Mack to not be weary and in being healthy.
                Last edited by ChargersPowderBlue; 05-02-2022, 01:40 AM.

Comment

• Chargerfreak
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
                  Oday Aboushi. If the Chargers don't want to move Feiler to RT (stubborn)... then move Zion to RT. It would give Zion a veteran presense (ala Feiler/Slater). Maybe Pipkins has miraculously improved. Hard for me to fathom... having seen his prior play. Even if he has improved, he's a free agent at season's end.

I would also like to see Justin Jackson re-signed. Let Spiller take one of Kelly/Roundtree roster spots.
                  Let Jackson take one of Kelley/Rountree spots.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Well today is the day veterans can sign and it not affect the comp pick. Now the Chargers - it doesn't matter. But I think they were waiting for the draft to fill in other areas of need and not just the comp pick game

First and foremost - Edge rusher depth. Said it in the other thread - I think they go Morgan Fox

Staley also mentioned the DL is going close to the way he envisions it - so maybe Akiem Hicks or Eddie Goldman could be signed

OL; still would like RT depth so maybe Kelley. Though can always bring back Aboushi as he is IOL depth

Chargers have the cap space and nobody mentioned above will make money like what Mathieu will get with the Saints

I figure for about $4 to 4.5m of net cap space - the Chargers can probably sign Aboushi, Fox and Hicks

Comment

• equivocation
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2021
                      • Send PM

I doubt Aboushi signs with us if he has other offers. Our IOL room got busy.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

For me, when they drafted Zion I though they would move Feiler to RT, Zion LG, and Aboushi at RG and our line was done. At least the starters.
                        I thought the same thing. I was excited that the OL was finally fixed at all spots.
                        Then I heard the plan was Zion @RG...

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargerfreak View Post

Let Jackson take one of Kelley/Rountree spots.
                          To-ma-to
                          To-mah-to

Comment

Working...
                          X