Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
    Winning is the most important thing. But it’s not the only thing needed to grow and sustain a fan base. If it was the only thing, the Rams wouldn’t still be struggling with opposing fans invading their stadium. The NFL is the most popular sport in America and yet, despite the recent two SB visits and a ring, the Rams are still way below the Dodgers, Lakers, USC, etc. If winning was the only thing, why are the Rams wasting time making a Top Gun commercial?

This has absolutely nothing to do with what we are talking about - which I'm sure you are aware - and it's not worth my time to try to explain it to you.

The Rams' organization knows that all the videos in the world are not going to grow a fan base in Los Angeles. Only winning will do that.

Again, the only thing that matters in the NFL is winning. I don't understand why it's a hard concept to understand. The Chargers will remain an outcast in the LA sports scene unless/until they win. Their home games will continue to be dominated by fans of the visiting team unless/until they win. No amount of marketing or animated videos is going to create a single new Chargers fan unless/until they win. It's really quite simple.

Again, my position on this entire absurd issue is that I wish the Chargers would create buzz on the field rather than have to resort to producing silly animated videos to get noticed. I believe the Chargers' organization is desperate to get noticed after losing the "fight for LA," to the Rams, who just won the Super Bowl. That's why they're putting so much effort into marketing/making animated videos. Like I've said over and over, it just reinforces the Chargers' losing culture IMO.

I am hoping Staley can instill a new culture in the Chargers' organization - a winning culture. I was really down on Staley after the Chargers failed to make the playoffs, I had my reasons - valid reasons. I think he made some mistakes that possibly cost the Chargers a playoff spot. But it's also obvious he didn't have a lot to work with defensively. I think Staley greatly influenced this draft, more than any Chargers' head coach has in recent memory. Now I look forward to seeing what Staley does with this team in 2022. I am pretty optimistic.

This is going to be my last comment on this thread. But I will just reiterate my position: The Chargers are a 2nd rate franchise that is a pariah in its own home market. The only thing that will change that is winning, because winning is the only thing that matters.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

The problem is that Velo is confusing two separate things. No one is disputing that winning on the field is important. What people like myself is saying that there’s nothing wrong with marketing as well because it helps bring in new fans, which is also important. Velo can’t seem to understand that for some reason.
      Velo does not understand marketing 101. They don’t need to market to TPB members, they don’t even need to make announcements for us. TPB members will to go their facility, peer thru the windows with their camcorder, and post Charger bootleg info. They will hack into the NFL servers and suck out the schedule before its published. TPB members need no marketing.

They are marketing to the rest of the 12 million LA county residents that are either not tuned in to the Chargers or not tuned in to football at all. Posting a football centric collateral is not going to maximize new attention. There well could be more anime fans in LA that we realize. I’m not an anime fan. But my son and his friends sure are. If you don’t get anime, you won’t get this video. I myself don’t get it on a personal level.

And its not like they decided “should we win or should we post anime? Fuck winning, lets make a “cartoon”. I think they want to do both. They have not been good at winning, no doubt. That doesnt mean they don’t want to and aren’t trying to.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

But anime is really cool and stuff...
        You don't know ball

Comment

• Xenos
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

This has absolutely nothing to do with what we are talking about - which I'm sure you are aware - and it's not worth my time to try to explain it to you.

The Rams' organization knows that all the videos in the world are not going to grow a fan base in Los Angeles. Only winning will do that.

Again, the only thing that matters in the NFL is winning. I don't understand why it's a hard concept to understand. The Chargers will remain an outcast in the LA sports scene unless/until they win. Their home games will continue to be dominated by fans of the visiting team unless/until they win. No amount of marketing or animated videos is going to create a single new Chargers fan unless/until they win. It's really quite simple.

Again, my position on this entire absurd issue is that I wish the Chargers would create buzz on the field rather than have to resort to producing silly animated videos to get noticed. I believe the Chargers' organization is desperate to get noticed after losing the "fight for LA," to the Rams, who just won the Super Bowl. That's why they're putting so much effort into marketing/making animated videos. Like I've said over and over, it just reinforces the Chargers' losing culture IMO.

I am hoping Staley can instill a new culture in the Chargers' organization - a winning culture. I was really down on Staley after the Chargers failed to make the playoffs, I had my reasons - valid reasons. I think he made some mistakes that possibly cost the Chargers a playoff spot. But it's also obvious he didn't have a lot to work with defensively. I think Staley greatly influenced this draft, more than any Chargers' head coach has in recent memory. Now I look forward to seeing what Staley does with this team in 2022. I am pretty optimistic.

This is going to be my last comment on this thread. But I will just reiterate my position: The Chargers are a 2nd rate franchise that is a pariah in its own home market. The only thing that will change that is winning, because winning is the only thing that matters.
          Either winning is the only thing or it’s not. And if it’s the only thing that matters, then why do winning teams like the Rams care so much about putting out silly marketing videos? Videos that probably took more effort than an anime one.

All you’ve done in this thread is show a complete lack of understanding of the importance of winning on the field and off it. You need a good social media and marketing team to draw in new fans from different demographics. Obviously, you need to win on the field to maintain your fan base otherwise you’ll lose them if you don’t. It’s why winning is the most important. But saying it’s the only thing that matters is completely naive.

I originally became a Bolts fan in 1994 because of the marketing and because I loved their uniforms. It was hard to be a fan during those losing years and I could have jumped ship but still foolishly hung on until they started winning again. It was hard when they left SD but I got over it because the brand was still the same. The day this team completely changes into a different team ie. name and brand, is probably the day I stop being a fan.

So no, I completely reject your old school and baseless argument that winning is the only thing that matters. And I also reject your criticism of the social media video because you’re completely and absolutely wrong!

Comment

• Xenos
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Velo does not understand marketing 101. They don’t need to market to TPB members, they don’t even need to make announcements for us. TPB members will to go their facility, peer thru the windows with their camcorder, and post Charger bootleg info. They will hack into the NFL servers and suck out the schedule before its published. TPB members need no marketing.

They are marketing to the rest of the 12 million LA county residents that are either not tuned in to the Chargers or not tuned in to football at all. Posting a football centric collateral is not going to maximize new attention. There well could be more anime fans in LA that we realize. I’m not an anime fan. But my son and his friends sure are. If you don’t get anime, you won’t get this video. I myself don’t get it on a personal level.

And its not like they decided “should we win or should we post anime? Fuck winning, lets make a “cartoon”. I think they want to do both. They have not been good at winning, no doubt. That doesnt mean they don’t want to and aren’t trying to.
            I mean if Staley and Telesco were busy making an anime video, instead of what they’ve been doing this offseason so far, then I can understand the anger. But the video is what the team pays non football operational people to create.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Send PM

..I completely reject your old school and baseless argument that winning is the only thing that matters.
              Right here is where we are different bro and we will never see eye to eye on this issue. In the NFL, winning isn't everything, it's the only thing.

Comment

• Xenos
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

The irony of saying that the Chargers are only known for an anime video is that if you surveyed every expert about our offseason, this would be at the bottom of the list. It’s only getting attention because the draft is over and we’re in the slow part of the year.

But if you go by what others would say for our offseason overall, it would be contender for SB title. Staley brought his killer instincts to this team last year, and it’s reflected in this aggressive offseason and defensive roster change. It helped changed Telesco too.

Speaking of which, this Tweet of gangster Tom is what we should be known for now lol:

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I worked in public relations in the last half of my career, so I daresay I have a better understanding of marketing than most on this board. In the NFL the only marketing that is effective is winning. That's it. Win, and the fans will follow. It's only when you don't win that you have to beef up your marketing and do thinks like create anime just to get noticed. The Chargers are in a tough situation in LA. Most of the of local fan base doesn't even want them here. The only thing that is going to change that is winning. Not marketing videos. I know you already know that and I can't believe I have to spell it out for you bro. I want the Chargers to create buzz by winning, not for doing videos. It's really not that controversial of a position.

Comment

• Xenos
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Right here is where we are different bro and we will never see eye to eye on this issue. In the NFL, winning isn't everything, it's the only thing.
                    Answer me this then. If winning is the only thing that matters, why is a team like the Raiders still relevant even though they haven’t won a playoff game in 20 years? They’ve had five winning seasons since 2000, and a W/L record of 143-210.
                    Last edited by Xenos; 05-22-2022, 11:52 AM.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

I worked in public relations in the last half of my career, so I daresay I have a better understanding of marketing than most on this board. In the NFL the only marketing that is effective is winning. That's it. Win, and the fans will follow. It's only when you don't win that you have to beef up your marketing and do thinks like create anime just to get noticed. The Chargers are in a tough situation in LA. Most of the of local fan base doesn't even want them here. The only thing that is going to change that is winning. Not marketing videos. I know you already know that and I can't believe I have to spell it out for you bro. I want the Chargers to create buzz by winning, not for doing videos. It's really not that controversial of a position.
                      I agree about winning.
                      Curious about "local fan base"? Sports in general? NFL fans? Rams fans? SD Charger fans?
                      A lot of people are making money or otherwise benefiting from LAC. They like us. Women. My granddaughters who were indifferent to the NFL just love LAC's QB. And the brand just looks good. Powder Blue, Bolts, etc.
                      The FA signings are recognizeable names.
                      We're getting new fans for a variety of reasons.
                      The only answer to winning over hard core NFL fans and creating new hard core LAC fans is winning.

Comment

• Xenos
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I agree about winning.
                        Curious about "local fan base"? Sports in general? NFL fans? Rams fans? SD Charger fans?
                        A lot of people are making money or otherwise benefiting from LAC. They like us. Women. My granddaughters who were indifferent to the NFL just love LAC's QB. And the brand just looks good. Powder Blue, Bolts, etc.
                        The FA signings are recognizeable names.
                        We're getting new fans for a variety of reasons.
                        The only answer to winning over hard core NFL fans and creating new hard core LAC fans is winning.
                        No one is arguing that winning is not the most important thing in football. But the disagreement is that it’s the only thing that matters. It doesn’t reflect the reality of the NFL, and I would say every expert would disagree with what Velo said.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                          We Are The Storm!
                          • Aug 2018
                          • Send PM

The irony of saying that the Chargers are only known for an anime video is that if you surveyed every expert about our offseason, this would be at the bottom of the list. It’s only getting attention because the draft is over and we’re in the slow part of the year.

But if you go by what others would say for our offseason overall, it would be contender for SB title. Staley brought his killer instincts to this team last year, and it’s reflected in this aggressive offseason and defensive roster change. It helped changed Telesco too.

Speaking of which, this Tweet of gangster Tom is what we should be known for now lol:
                          2 PO appearances in 9 years Aint Gangsta.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍