• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lightnin'
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

...Coach Staley is going nowhere unless we're a 3-4 win team that loses all it's divisional games in an
    ugly way.

I'm optimistic, despite our history. Right now, I'd just be happy to see a stadium with more Chargers
    fans than opponents, and with wins, that will come.
    San Diego Chargers

1961-2017

Comment

• BlazingBolt
      SLAM DUNK!
      • Jun 2013
      • East County San Diego
      • Bolt fanatic
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

Such optimism
      My optimism is at an all time high. I expect success and if it is not achieved coaching will be the underperforming factor I lay the blame with.

with a win now roster if the unproven coach continues to stumble you bring in the big name

i heard a few minutes of cowherd today and he had a segment about teams biggest question mark and he said Staley. He’s a really smart dude and he is very charismatic but is he a good NFL head coach. The jury is still out on that.
      migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• electricgold
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2020
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lightnin' View Post
        ...Coach Staley is going nowhere unless we're a 3-4 win team that loses all it's divisional games in an
        ugly way.

I'm optimistic, despite our history. Right now, I'd just be happy to see a stadium with more Chargers
        fans than opponents, and with wins, that will come.
        Coach Staley will only be fired IF we have a season like last year, IE start losing games the same way. Unable to stop the run, Unable to dominate on the Oline and ultimately no playoffs!. Because we went through something like this before with a coach named Mccoy! But its not like that right now we are all in Jerry Maguire mode, "ITSSSS gonna be a great season"!!!!
        Last edited by electricgold; 07-28-2022, 06:28 PM.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Send PM

If we don't get in the Super Bowl it will be because of injuries to key starters IMO. And I am at least a little nervous about certain starters' health this coming season...

Keenan Allen (getting older - he's 30 now)
          Mike Williams (he is usually quite injury prone)
          Austin Ekeler (had a lot of touches last year and year before - and he's too small for that)
          Khalil Mack (he's over 30)
          Corey Linsley (ditto for Linsley)
          Matt Feiler (just turned 30)

I think the above starting players are more susceptible to longer bouts of injury. Doesn't mean they'll necessarily happen. As I write this I notice I'm even more worried about our WR group - health wise and overall performance - than even before when I began our WR thread. Hopefully I'm just being paranoid. At least overall we're still a pretty young team with barely anyone above the early 30's. Chase Daniel is the outlier at 35 but he doesn't start. Just be in great condition, guys!!!! Do that yoga and those pilates!!! I'm talking to our football team.

Comment

• gzubeck
            Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
            • Jan 2019
            • Tucson, AZ
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post
            If we don't get in the Super Bowl it will be because of injuries to key starters IMO. And I am at least a little nervous about certain starters' health this coming season...

Austin Ekeler (had a lot of touches last year and year before - and he's too small for that)

I think the above starting players are more susceptible to longer bouts of injury. Doesn't mean they'll necessarily happen. As I write this I notice I'm even more worried about our WR group - health wise and overall performance - than even before when I began our WR thread. Hopefully I'm just being paranoid. At least overall we're still a pretty young team with barely anyone above the early 30's. Chase Daniel is the outlier at 35 but he doesn't start. Just be in great condition, guys!!!! Do that yoga and those pilates!!! I'm talking to our football team.
            As long as #10 is healthy the dude can pitch and toss to scrubs and make them look like Stars!

:Cheers1:
            Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

As long as #10 is healthy the dude can pitch and toss to scrubs and make them look like Stars!

:Cheers1:
              Yeah, that's true. And he does have an improved o-line this year with Zion.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

Don't put money on that.
                The Rams have the toughest schedule in the NFL.
                And they had several key losses from 2021.
                Lol, i was answering the question “who do you want to beat”. Don’t ask me WHY i alone was oddly answering that question … i can’t tell now.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post

RE KA: There are many WRs who thrive after 30. KA's game is particularly well-suited for an older WR, he relies on precision route-running, experience and cunning to create separation. Opposed to a WR whose main asset is speed and the ability to cut on a dime, physical skills that diminish with age. I suspect KA will be a top WR in the NFL for at least 5 more seasons. Though with so much receiving talent on the offense, his numbers may not be eye-popping, which ultimately works out for the best.

Mike Williams: In his last four seasons, MW has played 16, 15, 15 and 16 games. His rookie season was marred by injury, but he hasn't been injury prone since.

Ekeler: All touches are not equal. Passing touches are not as brutal physically as rushing touches. His 206 rushes last season were by far the most in his career; his previous career high was 136 rushes in 2019. He has commented that carrying the load he did last season is taking its toll. Staley/Telesco are acutely aware of this, and drafted Spiller, who, hopefully, will carry the bulk of the load as a rusher, and Ekeler can take fewer snaps and continue to excel in the passing game, where he was the team's 3rd leading receiver last season.

Linsley/Feiler: I think 30 is a prime time for OL. Many of the best OL in the NFL today are 30+

Mack: His age is the only concern I have about him. I guess we can't expect to see the Mack of 2014-17, when he was with the Raiders in his 20s. But as long as he is still good enough so that teams can't consistently double-team Bosa, his value will be immense.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Coach Staley will only be fired IF we have a season like last year, IE start losing games the same way. Unable to stop the run, Unable to dominate on the Oline and ultimately no playoffs!. Because we went through something like this before with a coach named Mccoy! But its not like that right now we are all in Jerry Maguire mode, "ITSSSS gonna be a great season"!!!!
                    I don't expect the team to lose games like last year because this is a far more talented and deeper team. Having said that, I see no way in which Stalely is fired this year even if we had a repeat of last year. The Chargers are not quick triggers on firing coaches.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I don't expect the team to lose games like last year because this is a far more talented and deeper team. Having said that, I see no way in which Stalely is fired this year even if we had a repeat of last year. The Chargers are not quick triggers on firing coaches.
                      What if the Chargers are worse this season, finish with a losing record, Staley proves himself to be in over his head as a HC, and Sean Payton is available?

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

What if the Chargers are worse this season, finish with a losing record, Staley proves himself to be in over his head as a HC, and Sean Payton is available?
                        While I love Sean Payton as a coach, it is just not the way this organization works. I haven't seen anything to indicate Staley is in over his head (and I don't consider going for it so often on 4th down as being over his head) and expect a deep playoff run so it's going to be a moot point.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

We are over next season's cap projection by almost $14 million. We will get under using a bunch of restructures and such, so that isn't a huge issue (it will be tricky, but I don't think it is that difficult). The point is that the organization is all in on Staley and Herbert and making a championship run. They aren't hedging on having a bunch of cap space to bring in Payton's favorites.

The other major problem with the Chargers last year was mostly due to the change in schemes. The D was a major disappointment after being a solid unit the year before. Staley deserves a big part of the blame for that, but it is silly to think we wouldn't necessarily go through the same thing if we switched to Sean Payton.

Comment

Working...
                          X