• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Parcells
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Pat_Swindle View Post

It's the Football God's evening things out since Chargers have a stud QB1. Truth is, how badly do the Chargers need great backup QBs? If Herb goes out, the team is finished. Obviously, for spot duty, you'd want a guy who can adequately play in case QB1 misses a game or 2, but how important is it, really? In the grand scheme of things. Chase Daniel is Progressive and Easton Stick is State Farm.
    In general, you’re not wrong. But Billy Volek showed us why it’s nice to have a solid backup. I do support only going with one backup (Daniels) and stashing Stick on the PS. But next offseason, I’d consider using a fourth rounder or so on a backup QB.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

What does it say about Drew Lock that he lost the QB battle to Smith?
      Probably that he’s still unvaccinated?
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
        Beef Before Gazelles
        • May 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

In general, you’re not wrong. But Billy Volek showed us why it’s nice to have a solid backup. I do support only going with one backup (Daniels) and stashing Stick on the PS. But next offseason, I’d consider using a fourth rounder or so on a backup QB.
        Let's just bring Billy Volek out of retirement, and be done with it. lol

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Pat_Swindle View Post

It's the Football God's evening things out since Chargers have a stud QB1. Truth is, how badly do the Chargers need great backup QBs? If Herb goes out, the team is finished.
          I've seen several say the same thing but I think we could still win by running a lot, throwing short, and letting our Defense do their thing. We've seen teams win the SB with an inadequate QB because they had a good defense.
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• CivilBolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I've seen several say the same thing but I think we could still win by running a lot, throwing short, and letting our Defense do their thing. We've seen teams win the SB with an inadequate QB because they had a good defense.
            Flacco and NYG Manning did it so it is possible.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I believe that’s the plan if we lose Herbert.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• cmplxgal
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • New Jersey
                • Send PM

Comment

• Huckleberry
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2022
                  • NE Cali
                  • Semi-retired
                  • Send PM

I'e been thinking this too, Roo. The front office and Staley have done a good job of surrounding Herbert with talent, particularly at the skill positions. There's no reason to think we can't win games without a star QB. Those other players are still available to our back-ups, such as they are. The amazing and eye-popping throws that Herbert makes may not be there, but we have other talents on this team and they will still be playing football. It does diminish our chances of winning it all, but we are not quitting if Herbert gets hurt (I hesitate to put it in writing).
                  “I’m your Huckleberry”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Huckleberry View Post
                    I'e been thinking this too, Roo. The front office and Staley have done a good job of surrounding Herbert with talent, particularly at the skill positions. There's no reason to think we can't win games without a star QB. Those other players are still available to our back-ups, such as they are. The amazing and eye-popping throws that Herbert makes may not be there, but we have other talents on this team and they will still be playing football. It does diminish our chances of winning it all, but we are not quitting if Herbert gets hurt (I hesitate to put it in writing).
                    OL becomes critical when you drop to backup QB. Give any backup enough time and they can perform. A lot of times we gnashed at a backup carving up our defense, it was because we got no pressure on i him. Our 2022 OL will be good enough to help a backup win imo. Forget the haters, Pip has emerged and is for real.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                      Beef Before Gazelles
                      • May 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

OL becomes critical when you drop to backup QB. Give any backup enough time and they can perform. A lot of times we gnashed at a backup carving up our defense, it was because we got no pressure on i him. Our 2022 OL will be good enough to help a backup win imo. Forget the haters, Pip has emerged and is for real.
                      Truth.

Over the years, way too many marginal QBs have had career games when they were called into action against the Chargers. Trevor Simien is one of the more recent examples. I could do a bit of research and come up with an extensive list, but that sounds too depressing! lol

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

I don’t anticipate the chargers doing much after final cuts…even with some of the funky personnel decisions like keeping stick and roundtree on the roster in lieu of guys like gaziano or fehoko or perhaps bandy…despite all of that, this will still perhaps be the most complete team the chargers have fielded in the last 14 years…seems to me like most of the controversy is centered around backup players so I take that as a positive sign…
                        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post

Jamaree. What a score.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X