• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
    What about the guy we should’ve traded up for in the third round…?

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
      And a few more prospects of interest.

6. Ikem Ekwonu, OT, Panthers

Grade: C+

Ikem Ekwonu CAR • OT • 79
      View Profile

Wake-up call game for Ekwonu against the Patriots. New England gave him fits with their twists, and Josh Uche beat him around the corner for a sack. Ekwonu wasn't brutal but looked much more awkward and uncomfortable in both the pass and run game than he did to start the preseason.

7. Evan Neal, OT, Giants

Grade: B-

Evan Neal NYG • OT • 73
      View Profile

Gradual steps for the impossibly-nimble-for-his-size Neal. For the second-straight week, there were plenty of off-balance reps and a few pressures allowed. Overall, Neal was better, and he moved people when the Giants ran the football. He did a nice job utilizing his length in pass protection.

9. Charles Cross, OT, Seahawks

Grade: C+

Charles Cross SEA • OT • 67
      View Profile

Cross got 30 pass-blocking reps in and started against Robert Quinn, and he passed that test with flying colors. Strangely, Al-Quadin Muhammad and rookie edge rusher Dominique Robinson gave him problems. I don't know how Cross was credited with a pressure allowed because there were plenty instances in which he was driven back into the quarterback or was holding on for dear life. However, the fact he technically "blanked" the Bears rushers in the stat sheet speaks to his incredible recovery ability.
      I don’t get the low grade for Cross after the commentary was so positive.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
        Charger Fan since 1978
        • Sep 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I’ll give you that kelemete was worse, that doesnt make Schofield any good. I disagree Scho was signed as depth, he was an emergency signing to come in and start. Really lucky is relative, sure it could have been worse. I’ll give you a partial on that. I don’t care what he made, i didnt pay him.

We can just agree to disagree if Scho was a good OG or if he helped or hurt Norton at all.
        We can agree to disagree on our mutual opinions but there is no grey area on facts…

You can’t revise dates on calenders, schofield was signed before week one to be a depth backup player,…a back up,…a reserve,…he was available to go in to spell abushi early in the game against the cowboys precisely because he had already been on the roster for almost 3 weeks. Unless your implying the chargers prophesied Abushi’s injury and signed schofield as an emergency signing three weeks in advance from the injury? If the charger brass had those super powers we’d have multiple titles by now…

The facts are the facts, Abushi was the undisputed starter going into the season and schofield was signed weeks before Abushi was hurt…I find it difficult to understand why you would imply otherwise when it can be so easily fact checked…for the chargers there was never any talk of schofield being brought in to replace abushi, had abushi stayed healthy, schofield would’ve never seen the field, there is no room for interpretation there, it just is what it is…I think you got some memory or chronology issues going on there…
        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
          Yes help support Popper!!!!

Also as much as I enjoy posting the articles, I don’t always have the time. So help me out peeps! Lol
          I can but you always beat me to it!!
          Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

We can agree to disagree on our mutual opinions but there is no grey area on facts…

You can’t revise dates on calenders, schofield was signed before week one to be a depth backup player,…a back up,…a reserve,…he was available to go in to spell abushi early in the game against the cowboys precisely because he had already been on the roster for almost 3 weeks. Unless your implying the chargers prophesied Abushi’s injury and signed him as an emergency signing three weeks in advance from the injury? The facts are the facts, Abushi was the undisputed starter going into the season and schofield was signed weeks before Abushi was hurt…I find it difficult to understand why you would imply otherwise when it can be so easily fact checked…for the chargers there was never any talk of schofield being brought in to replace abushi, had abushi stayed healthy, schofield would’ve never seen the field, there is no room for interpretation there, it just is what it is…I think you got some memory or chronology issues going on there…
            Agree, i did misremember he signed a bit earlier than i recalled. But then again, since you noted how easy it is to check facts, I went ahead and did that just for you. he was signed Sept 17 on the day they put Bulaga on waivers. Our first game was Sept 12. So no he wasn’t signed before week one. He was signed after the first game.

Lol … can’t revise dates … no room for interpretation … it can be so easily fact checked … it just is what it is. awesome stuff. I do in fact have memory issues, and advancing age isnt improving it. I’m glad to be corrected and readily admit it here and will even thank the poster for the correction.

Let me know when you have a correct fact to share, I’ll thank you too
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I can but you always beat me to it!!
              Have at it if you want. And if you get tired, let me know. I mostly post from my phone so copying and pasting is a little annoying lol.

But thanks!

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Agree, i did misremember he signed a bit earlier than i recalled. But then again, since you noted how easy it is to check facts, I went ahead and did that just for you. he was signed Sept 17 on the day they put Bulaga on waivers. Our first game was Sept 12. So no he wasn’t signed before week one. He was signed after the first game.

Lol … can’t revise dates … no room for interpretation … it can be so easily fact checked … it just is what it is. awesome stuff. I do in fact have memory issues, and advancing age isnt improving it. I’m glad to be corrected and readily admit it here and will even thank the poster for the correction.

Let me know when you have a correct fact to share, I’ll thank you too
                Let’s recap, you said he was brought in as “an emergency signing to start” I said he was brought in before the injury to be a backup, what you said was not factual, what I said was a fact, you see how that works? You have already been presented with a fact…

yes, my memory is not that great either and I misremembered when he was signed too, but at least I knew “for a fact” that he wasn’t “an emergency signing to start” and that he was already on the roster before the injury even occurred…

The funny thing about you learning that he didn’t even get signed until the 17th, that was two days before the cowboy game!!! That just makes what he did a hell of a lot more impressive and it also makes my point about the importance of having experienced players like michael schofield as quality depth…he had been on the chargers (in what 2019?) under a previous administration and with a completely different offense and yet he came in and filled in for abushi only two days from signing! Then after that it was never blatantly apparent that michael was learning a totally new offense although he was…all the more reason the criticism is so unwarranted and just doesn’t make any sense to me…so yes, we were lucky to have him or it could’ve been a heck of a lot messier on that right side…
                "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Good audio interview with Bryce Callahan and Austin Johnson.

I enjoyed both and have more confidence in each after listening. They were guys that were new to me as people.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                    And the "big" boys aren't doing too well.

13. Jordan Davis, DT, Eagles

Grade: C-

Jordan Davis PHI • DT • 90
                    View Profile

Davis played a little under 20 snaps against the Browns and made minimal impact. A few times, he pushed back the guard or center. That was it. No pressures or tackles for the former Georgia star.

19. Trevor Penning, OT, Saints

Grade: C-

Trevor Penning NO • OT • 70
                    View Profile

Slightly better from Week 1 for Penning, yet he looks so uncomfortable vertical setting in pass protection. It's just not something he did very often at Northern Iowa, and now doing it, against NFL pass rushers, has led to his ugly start.
                    Funny, they showed the one highlight of Davis pushing back a much smaller OG and now some think we should of traded up for him

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Let’s recap, you said he was brought in as “an emergency signing to start” I said he was brought in before the injury to be a backup, what you said was not factual, what I said was a fact, you see how that works? You have already been presented with a fact…

yes, my memory is not that great either and I misremembered when he was signed too, but at least I knew “for a fact” that he wasn’t “an emergency signing to start” and that he was already on the roster before the injury even occurred…

The funny thing about you learning that he didn’t even get signed until the 17th, that was two days before the cowboy game!!! That just makes what he did a hell of a lot more impressive and it also makes my point about the importance of having experienced players like michael schofield as quality depth…he had been on the chargers (in what 2019?) under a previous administration and with a completely different offense and yet he came in and filled in for abushi only two days from signing! Then after that it was never blatantly apparent that michael was learning a totally new offense although he was…all the more reason the criticism is so unwarranted and just doesn’t make any sense to me…so yes, we were lucky to have him or it could’ve been a heck of a lot messier on that right side…
                      He sucked, Norton sucked slightly less but between the two of them the right side was as hot a mess as we’ve ever had on the OL. Hence a first round draft pick taking one spot (Scho not even back for depth), and Pip pushing Norton to (hopefully!) the PS, cuz another rookie is a better backup OT. No spin, just what it was and is.

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

COSTA MESA, Calif. — The Chargers held their 19th and final training camp practice Wednesday afternoon at Hoag Performance Center. They wrap up the preseason Friday night at the Saints. Final roster cuts must be made by Tuesday at 1 p.m. PT.

For one last time this summer: Here are my observations, notes and takeaways.
                        J.C. Jackson update

Coach Brandon Staley met with the media Wednesday for the first time since the Chargers announced that star cornerback J.C. Jackson had undergone ankle surgery. In a statement, the Chargers said Jackson had the surgery in New York on Tuesday and the estimated timetable for his return to play is approximately two to four weeks.

Staley provided more context in his news conference. He said Jackson’s ankle issue “only came up” 2 1/2 weeks ago during practice. Jackson, who signed a five-year, $82.5 million deal with the Chargers in free agency in the spring, continued to practice through the discomfort, including for both of the joint practices against the Cowboys. Staley said Jackson “played beautifully” in those two practices. But in the days after, the discomfort persisted and Jackson and the Chargers opted for what Staley called a “very minor procedure.”

“It’s really more of a comfort level when he will decelerate at times,” Staley said. “It’s just more about his peace of mind moving forward, to do it now. That’s what he wanted to do, and we supported that. He tried the rehab part of it and then an injection, and he just felt like if we can get this thing done, that he’s going to be full speed and there’s no turning back. And again, I can’t state it enough, there’s not an injury with his ankle.”

Staley added that there is “not a structural problem” with the ankle. In terms of the timetable, Staley said Jackson will return to practice once the wound from the surgery heals. That is the only limiting factor.

“All it depends on is how fast the wound heals,” Staley said. “So when the wound heals, he’ll be out there. … Anyone that’s ever had a procedure like that, if the wound heals quickly, it could be on the low side; if it takes a little bit of time, it could be the high side. But this is a minor procedure, and he’ll be back somewhere in that time frame.”

That could mean Jackson is ready before the opener against the Raiders. Or it could mean Jackson is not ready until Week 3 against the Jaguars. It is solely based on how quickly the wound heals.

“This is just more about comfort moving forward and just him feeling his best overall,” Staley said. “He’ll be back here shortly.”
                        News and notes

• Players who missed Wednesday’s practice, in addition to Jackson: TE Donald Parham Jr. (hamstring), RB Isaiah Spiller (ankle), S Mark Webb (calf), S Alohi Gilman (unspecified tightness), CB Deane Leonard (hamstring) and TE Sage Surratt (undisclosed). This was Surratt’s first missed practice of camp.

• WR Joshua Palmer has cleared the concussion protocol, according to Staley. He was back in individual drills Wednesday.

Trey Pipkins III took all the first-team reps at right tackle for the third straight day over Storm Norton. Staley, though, said he is not ready to name a winner in that position battle. “I told you guys we’ll announce our starters when we’re ready, when we feel like we’ve made that decision,” he said. “And we’re not there yet. When we are, we will make sure that we let you guys know.”

Kenneth Murray Jr. worked back into 11-on-11 drills for the first time since being removed from the physically unable to perform list earlier this week. Staley believes Murray will be ready for Week 1. He will not play in Friday’s preseason finale. “I’m really excited to have him back,” Staley said. “He looks really good, and he’s got the right mindset. We’re just going to see how it goes the next three weeks, but I definitely think he’s going to play in that (Week 1) game, for sure. How much will just depend on how he ramps up here in the next three weeks.”

• Rookie defensive back Ja’Sir Taylor picked off Justin Herbert in 11-on-11. He was covering DeAndre Carter in the slot and jumped an out-breaking route. Taylor likely has cemented a spot on the 53-man roster. The sixth-round pick has played really well defending the slot. Taylor can also fill in at outside corner and has made plays on special teams as a gunner. “Ja has really proven to be a really versatile defensive back,” Staley said. “He’s got good size for the position. We really feel like he’s a defensive back, that he can play a lot of different places. … On special teams, he’s got enough speed to be an effective gunner. He’s a good tackler. He’s a good contact player as a defensive back. He’s got a sturdy body. He’s like a 190-plus guy, so he’s strong. We really like coaching him. He’s improved a lot for us, and he’s shown that he can hold his own. We’re glad we drafted him.”

• Safety Nasir Adderley had a tackle for loss on a bubble screen to Keenan Allen in the red zone. Adderley has been one of the most consistent defensive players in camp, and he is probably gearing up for a breakout season.

• Linebacker Troy Reeder batted a Herbert pass down in the backfield in 11-on-11. Reeder’s role is going to be primarily on special teams early on in the season, but his instincts and diagnosing skills at inside linebacker have popped in camp practices and the preseason games.

(Photo of J.C. Jackson: Kirby Lee / USA Today
                        Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                          What about the guy we should’ve traded up for in the third round…?
                          I read a few weeks ago that the Raven coaching staff is very pleased about him.

Much better than that turd that we passed by in the first.

Comment

Working...
                          X