• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SK21209
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2020
    • San Diego
    • Send PM

Any discussion of moving on from Keenan, at least from me, is 100% financial. With Herbert eventually getting the biggest contract in NFL history (probably) and other big cap hits with Derwin (probably going to be about the highest paid safety), Joey, Slater eventually, it's going to be tough to have two WRs with $20 million cap hits. I love Keenan, he's been one of the few consistent bright spots for this franchise over the last 10 years. He's a great player. I really hope he can be on our first Superbowl winning team, but if you look at our cap sheets and the kind of money we'll have to pay to keep some of these younger guys around there are going to have to be some cap casualties.

Comment

• Pat_Swindle
      WustinSlurbert
      • Apr 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SK21209 View Post
      Any discussion of moving on from Keenan, at least from me, is 100% financial. With Herbert eventually getting the biggest contract in NFL history (probably) and other big cap hits with Derwin (probably going to be about the highest paid safety), Joey, Slater eventually, it's going to be tough to have two WRs with $20 million cap hits. I love Keenan, he's been one of the few consistent bright spots for this franchise over the last 10 years. He's a great player. I really hope he can be on our first Superbowl winning team, but if you look at our cap sheets and the kind of money we'll have to pay to keep some of these younger guys around there are going to have to be some cap casualties.
      Something tells me that Josh Palmer is gonna turn enough heads this season to where the team moves forward in 2023 with MW and JP as the top WRs and Keenan Allen goes to another team. I don't want that to happen, but Herbie is gonna command a MF of a salary. That's why the Super Bowl must be won this year! Keenan needs to be a part of that!

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SK21209 View Post
        Agreed, I just hope we can honor his current contract and not ask him to take a paycut.
        after that, I think everyone understands he'll have to choose between continuing with us (likely annual contender) or chase significantly more money.
        G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Shock&Awe
          Great White North
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

I think Keenan is safe for the duration of the contract. It's up in 2024 and that's the first year Herbet's new deal kicks in. After than though there's a boat load of guys who will be up for new deals as well as us starting to get into the meat of Derwin's new deal, Nassir Adderley, etc.

Comment

• Charge!
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Shock&Awe View Post
            I think Keenan is safe for the duration of the contract. It's up in 2024 and that's the first year Herbet's new deal kicks in. After than though there's a boat load of guys who will be up for new deals as well as us starting to get into the meat of Derwin's new deal, Nassir Adderley, etc.
            Makes sense. Money rules so I can see Chargers keeping KA at least through his contract. Letting him go before likely does not save a ton of money and Herbert's 1st year salary of new contract will likely be on the lower side with a ton of guaranteed bonus money spread over several years.....

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Bucky Brooks has us at #1.
              Can't argue with Bucky.
              :lol:

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

What do you have to do to be top tier? Bash & AJ are top ten run defenders, MW, KA top 15 in NFL.Ek is #1 RB receiver, 13th NFL rushing yards, 20 TDs.(tied for 1st)
                I meant no disrespect, I called them high second tier for a reason. The difference is like when you play pick up basketball, the first guys that get picked are tier 1, then you go to tier 2. Nobody is picking mike williams and KA before like 7-9 other guys, guys like chase, samuel, hill, hopkins, adams, kupp, jefferson, aj brown, and metcalf. Same goes for the other positions, there’s a group of 7-10 guys that would get picked before those players I mentioned. Saying those men are high second tier is not a knock it just means they’re right outside that initial group…
                "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                  I knew it wouldn’t be long that pundits started to see what I see in our WR corps. It’s not about the top 2-3 guys. It’s the depth below them that makes the Chargers, top to bottom, the deepest group in the league. DeAndre Carter’s showing in camp reinforces what I’ve been saying about this group - all of them are proven NFL talent, and WRs 1-3 are guys who are ascending, reaching their prime.
                  I think Keenan and MW are a very good #1 & #2 duo up there somewhere in the top 5. Palmer i indeed looking like he could be a good one but you dont base things off what they havent done. Guyton has had 2 decent, nothing great seasons in a row. I get its all about oportunity and he has made some long plays but overall IMO he is average.....which is to say a good depth guy.

Carter idk....he has had 1 subpar productive season as a WR in 5 years and he had only 24 receptions and his first TDs as a WR in his career. Another year he had 20 which was 3 years prior to last season. Tells me they dont see him improving enough to be a productive part of the WR group.

We'll see but based on Guyton and Carters production and playing time, i dont see anything dynamic there to elevate them over some other groups that i think have good depth and a few of them i wanted us to draft them.

I liked Gabriel Davis and Tyler Johnson a lot in their draft years. Also liked Quez Watkins,..... Patriots got a steal with Kendrick Bourne from SF and he made Nelson Agholor their #4. I think TB WR depth is just sic.

Just sayin.

Comment

• Fleet 1
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kauai
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Are the Pads legit this year? They always disappoint.
                    I dont think so. They can beat bad teams. The Dodgers expose them for the chumps they are. I dont care if they beat bad teams. They dont know how to show up for big games. Scared of the Dodgers and likely dont have the mindset to elevate for them. Pathetic.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                      Beef Before Gazelles
                      • May 2021
                      • Send PM

Posting just because I find it interesting: Walter Football cited Arian Foster as a comparison for Isaiah Spiller.

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I think Keenan and MW are a very good #1 & #2 duo up there somewhere in the top 5. Palmer i indeed looking like he could be a good one but you dont base things off what they havent done. Guyton has had 2 decent, nothing great seasons in a row. I get its all about oportunity and he has made some long plays but overall IMO he is average.....which is to say a good depth guy.

Carter idk....he has had 1 subpar productive season as a WR in 5 years and he had only 24 receptions and his first TDs as a WR in his career. Another year he had 20 which was 3 years prior to last season. Tells me they dont see him improving enough to be a productive part of the WR group.

We'll see but based on Guyton and Carters production and playing time, i dont see anything dynamic there to elevate them over some other groups that i think have good depth and a few of them i wanted us to draft them.

I liked Gabriel Davis and Tyler Johnson a lot in their draft years. Also liked Quez Watkins,..... Patriots got a steal with Kendrick Bourne from SF and he made Nelson Agholor their #4. I think TB WR depth is just sic.

Just sayin.
                        Just think if we still had T-Billy

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post
                          Posting just because I find it interesting: Walter Football cited Arian Foster as a comparison for Isaiah Spiller.
                          Nice.

Comment

Working...
                          X