• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • screeme18
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
    I’m pretty sure this was the expectations.

I think there was hope, he'd be able to go, but not at full speed, and come along slowly over the next month. But, I doubt this is surprising, either. The real question is how long it takes him to get to full speed.

Comment

• Heatmiser
      HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

Sooo... true..... hard to win if you cannot stop the run or the pass and last 2 years, Chargers defense could not stop either when the opponent really needed a first down or a score.... many of our wins occurred by having the ball last, scoring last, or running out clock.... many times our losses occurred because opponent had ball last and we could not stop them....

Fouts may have done it a time or 2 with the worst defense in football, but that all-time great offense had multiple future HOF'ers, great OL, and several pro bowlers.... who knew they had to score on every drive to have a shot at winning......

with all that offense they could not get to SB because they had no defense..... with today's rules you cant have a shut down defense against a great offense with a great QB, but you need to have a good enough defense that the other team has to play great to score on you and at least once in awhile you can cause a mistake or turn over.....

It is going to be interesting and fun to see how all these great new players grow together and become a TEAM........
      That was generally true, and I will always love Dan Fouts. But in 1979 the Chargers had the top offense AND one of the top defenses in the NFL, hosted a Houston team down Earl Campbell and Dan Pastorini (a poor starter, but still the starter) in the first round of the playoffs and lost because Dan threw 5 picks, 4 of them to the same guy! I still can't get over that game. And if memory serves, the Chargers beat both superbowl teams that year and the next couple years too. Oh the ups and downs of being a Bolt fan!

TG
      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• chargeroo
        Fan since 1961
        • Jan 2019
        • Oregon
        • Retired Manager/Pastor
        • Send PM

Dan seemed to be a different QB in the playoffs. His worst games were reserved for the playoffs.

I still think that team could have won a couple of SB's if Klein didn't start shipping everyone away that asked for a raise.
        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
            Dan seemed to be a different QB in the playoffs. His worst games were reserved for the playoffs.

I still think that team could have won a couple of SB's if Klein didn't start shipping everyone away that asked for a raise.
            Same thing as Phil. Seems to be a Charger curse unfortunately.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
              French Speaking Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Québec city
              • Send PM

Dan Marino ?

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                I’m pretty sure this was the expectations.

Hence the Van Noy signing.

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                  French Speaking Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Québec city
                  • Send PM

Or Troy Reeder ?

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

Except for Dan Fouts.
                    Fouts shit his bed as soon as he got there
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

That was generally true, and I will always love Dan Fouts. But in 1979 the Chargers had the top offense AND one of the top defenses in the NFL, hosted a Houston team down Earl Campbell and Dan Pastorini (a poor starter, but still the starter) in the first round of the playoffs and lost because Dan threw 5 picks, 4 of them to the same guy! I still can't get over that game. And if memory serves, the Chargers beat both superbowl teams that year and the next couple years too. Oh the ups and downs of being a Bolt fan!

TG
                      I will never get over that game. I slept outside the stadium the night before that game, in a lawn chair and on the concrete. Ok, mostly we drank and partied all night but still … it was a dank cold San Diego winter with harsh extremes in the valley that night. We were 3rd in line to buy AFCCG tickets. THIRD! I would have had the best non-season ticket holder seats available in the stadium. Me and my friend had cash in our pockets to buy the max allowed of 4 each.

throughout the game, we’re stuck outside the ring … holding our coveted #3 spot in line, missing the actual game - which I guess in hindsight was just as well. I had a tiny 12” battery powered B&W tv with shitty rabbit ear reception going in and out. And through the concrete walls, all game long, we hear … cheer cheer moan. Cheer cheer moan. Cheer cheer sigh gasp moan. Thud. And out saunter the happiest Houston fucks with the biggest stupidest cowboy hats, all chuckling and laughing.

Third in line. Sigh.
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                        Dan Marino ?
                        I guess he gets the benefit of the doubt because he went to a SB his rookie season?

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                          Or Troy Reeder ?
                          Hey, availability counts.

Comment

Working...
                          X