• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

That is not what I remember reading. I remember reading that Ron Rivera wanted to keep him. He was a terrific returner for WFT, returning one for a TD. In addition to being second on the team in receiving TDs.

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/...l-free-agency/
    Let's put it this way: they wanted him, but not that much - talk is cheap.

The #Chargers signed speedy WR/returner DeAndre Carter to a 1-year, $1.1M deal with an additional $1.25M available in incentives.

Comment

• Charge!
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

My take on DeAndre Carter is that he is an Ekeler like dude, an undersized UDFA who's had to work harder to carve out a niche for himself. Unlike Ekeler, he's bounced around since entering the league in 2018, and it's taken awhile for him to develop his skills and be given a chance at WR. His prowess as a returner has kept him in the league, but last season, due to circumstances, he got to showcase his receiving abilities. I've been impressed with him ever since I saw his 2021 highlight vid. His athleticism is impressive. I think he was second to Terry McLaurin for TD receptions last season in Washington. I know Rivera wanted to keep him, but when you are offered the opportunity to sign with a SB contender and catch passes from Justin Herbert, who are you going to choose?

His primary role will be as a returner. But, as I've stated before, Staley/Lombardi want to carry just 5 WR, and they don't want to devote a roster spot to a guy who only return kicks. That's why they were aggressive in pursuing Carter, because in addition to being one of the better returners in the league, the dude is a bonafide WR who will contribute in the passing game.

Whether he supplants Guyton on the depth chart remains to be seen. His catch rate last season from Taylor Heinicke was only 54.5%, while Heinicke completed 65% of his passes. Guyton had a 64.6% catch rate last season from Herbert, who completed 65.9% of his passes. A big deal is being made of him getting more first team reps than Guyton. But that could be because they want to get a look at him, and build some familiarity with the first team offense.

Wherever Carter/Guyton end up on the depth chart, these two guys provide outstanding WR depth. At the top of the WR depth chart is Keenan, Mike W. & and Josh P. Going on the assumption that Palmer is going to emerge this season, I don't think there is a better trio of WRs in the NFL. There might be a few WR trios that are equal, but I don't think there is one you could say is better. And, again, I make the assumption that Palmer is going to break out this season.

But what sets the Chargers apart is the depth at WR. I say that Carter/Guyton are the best 4/5 WRs of any unit in the league. In most cases when you get down toward the bottom of a WR depth chart, you have developmental guys or guys who are way past their primes. A lot of these guys are really just practice squad talent, that has certainly been true of the depth on the Chargers' WRs in the past. But with Carter/Guyton, you have two guys who are proven legit NFL WRs. There are no developmental guys on the Chargers' WR depth chart, and that is why I say the Chargers have the deepest WR corps in the league. And I don't recall having this much WR talent on the Chargers' roster in the past.

In 2021, the Chargers started the season with KA, MW, JP, JG and KJ Hill. Andre Roberts replaced Hill midway through the season. But neither Hill nor Roberts were legit WRs. And JG and JP were developing players.

In 2020 the Chargers only had two legit WRs on the depth chart - KA and MW. Guyton and T Billy were PS players who'd never caught an NFL pass. And there was Hill, Joe Reed and Jason Moore rounding out the bottom.

In 2022, this depth chart has a 2nd year WR in Palmer who is ready to break out; Guyton entering his prime after a thousand receiving yards and 6 TDs over the past two seasons, and Carter.

This is why I am really high on this current WR corps. If anything, there is too much talent, given all the other receiving talent at RB and TE on the roster, and it will be underutilized, if everyone stays healthy. But it's a good problem to have, especially for a team that has SB aspirations.
      I agree. I think this is the best WR group we have had in many many years. All of them look like they can make plays if needed including a few others who may end up on practice squad or last WR spot (if we keep 6 or more)...

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Whether he supplants Guyton on the depth chart remains to be seen. His catch rate last season from Taylor Heinicke was only 54.5%, while Heinicke completed 65% of his passes. Guyton had a 64.6% catch rate last season from Herbert, who completed 65.9% of his passes. A big deal is being made of him getting more first team reps than Guyton. But that could be because they want to get a look at him, and build some familiarity with the first team offense.
        I think he supplants Guyton. Carter is a deep threat, but i think he adds so much more getting short passes in space.
        From what i've seen, he can get up to top speed quicker than most, but his high end speed isn't that great...which is okay.

Charger offense misses that kind of guy......some one who if given space can turn short passes into long gains. Lombardi's offense doesn't go deep often.

Even our friendly resident bull must realize this: Guyton will drop to #5.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Yes referring to his career in Washington.

He has been getting some praise in camp and it's nice to see but I'm not going to get hyped up about it til I see him play in games.
          I usually take the wait and see approach as I've seen plenty of camp hype before.
          You need to learn to embrace the flowery puffed up TC praise reports. Its fun.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I think he supplants Guyton. Carter is a deep threat, but i think he adds so much more getting short passes in space.
            From what i've seen, he can get up to top speed quicker than most, but his high end speed isn't that great...which is okay.

Charger offense misses that kind of guy......some one who if given space can turn short passes into long gains. Lombardi's offense doesn't go deep often.

Even our friendly resident bull must realize this: Guyton will drop to #5.
            Either you run a very low 4.3 and can just run away from anyone anywhere, or you run 4.4-4.5 and have better route running or a “burst” to get some separation and then maintain it long enough to get a pass - a good QB is key for those guys. those guys may get less YAC but more actual receptions, first downs, TDs, etc.

Carter runs mid-4.4’s but I keep reading he’s got a burst gear that can get him free. He’s fast enough to stretch the field, i think, which is Guyton’s forte - so if he also can run better underneath routes, he’ll have a leg up. Or two. Guyton has not previously shown extraordinary underneath separation burst or crisp route running imo.

All 3 of our “B” class WRs are going to make the roster imo and I doubt an artificial ranking of 3, 4, 5 has as much relevance to coaches and their situational decisions than it does to us. No need to knock any of them, they are all NFL players.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

I don't think #3 is so much artificial: I think Palmer will play a lot more than everyone not named Allen/Williams, and he'll tend to be in on big downs.
              Carter and Guyton will be more situational.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

You need to learn to embrace the flowery puffed up TC praise reports. Its fun.
                I dunno, what other WR on any team has caught six red zone TD passes? Might only be TC, but it sure smells sweet.

Comment

• Bolts&noles
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                  I don't think #3 is so much artificial: I think Palmer will play a lot more than everyone not named Allen/Williams, and he'll tend to be in on big downs.
                  Carter and Guyton will be more situational.
                  Carter seems to be a red zone threat also.
                  I would like to see him get the ball as mush as possible.
                  Would love to see the speed on the field.
                  Last edited by Bolts&noles; 08-09-2022, 05:43 PM.

Comment

• equivocation
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2021
                    • Send PM

Carter trains with Allen in the offseason. Another reason for him to sign.

Salyer got reps at RT.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                      https://www.si.com/nfl/chargers/news...n-notes-day-11

Carter trains with Allen in the offseason. Another reason for him to sign.

Salyer got reps at RT.
                      Yeah look at that.

Nicholas Cothrel further commented that the Chargers really like what they are seeing so far from Salyer.

This is not too big for him.

Steal of the draft ?
                      You don't know ball

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Don’t be surprised if they develop a plays for Carter that are designed runs. He might have a little Sproles in him. He’s dangerous with the ball in his hands.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post
                          But what sets the Chargers apart is the depth at WR. I say that Carter/Guyton are the best 4/5 WRs of any unit in the league. In most cases when you get down toward the bottom of a WR depth chart, you have developmental guys or guys who are way past their primes. A lot of these guys are really just practice squad talent, that has certainly been true of the depth on the Chargers' WRs in the past. But with Carter/Guyton, you have two guys who are proven legit NFL WRs. There are no developmental guys on the Chargers' WR depth chart, and that is why I say the Chargers have the deepest WR corps in the league. And I don't recall having this much WR talent on the Chargers' roster in the past.
                          Yep...before when we got to the bottom of the wideout depth chart, it was dudes like Inman and Tutu...now, we've got Carter and Guyton...not bad...

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍