Clear All
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post
    Posting just because I find it interesting: Walter Football cited Arian Foster as a comparison for Isaiah Spiller.
    That would make him the steal of this year's draft.
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post
      Posting just because I find it interesting: Walter Football cited Arian Foster as a comparison for Isaiah Spiller.
      He's going to become a rapper?

Comment

• Charge!
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I agree..... I think he will be a great addition as an all round RB.....

Some critics have tried to compare him to Kelley and Roundtree, but Spiller was ranked as a top 3-5 RB in all of college football by many draft experts, vs Kelley and Roundtree were ranked far far lower..... like top 30 or more.... they were just "I need to draft a RB but don't know what to do" picks

I still cant believe TT passed on drafting Mitchell who has starred for 49ers..... who was chosen late in 6th round...... much much better player than roundtree....

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Spiller turns 22 tomorrow. If he is half as good as Foster was in his prime, it will make this offense virtually unstoppable.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
            Beef Before Gazelles
            • May 2021
            • Send PM

Arian Foster was an UDFA, signed by the Houston Texans following the 2009 draft. He only played in 6 games his rookie season, then played in 16, 13, 16, 8 and 13 games in the following five seasons. He ran for more than 1,200 yards in four of those five seasons.

It's not the Chargers' plan, IMO, to lean on Spiller the way that the Texans leaned on Foster, mostly because... THEY DON'T NEED TO! With so many weapons for the ball to be distributed to, Spiller won't bear a disproportionate load of the abuse, and can likely avoid the wear and tear Foster experienced from being a workhorse back.

We're not far away from seeing him in some preseason action, which will give us our first peek at what he can do at this level.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I think Keenan and MW are a very good #1 & #2 duo up there somewhere in the top 5. Palmer i indeed looking like he could be a good one but you dont base things off what they havent done. Guyton has had 2 decent, nothing great seasons in a row. I get its all about oportunity and he has made some long plays but overall IMO he is average.....which is to say a good depth guy.

Carter idk....he has had 1 subpar productive season as a WR in 5 years and he had only 24 receptions and his first TDs as a WR in his career. Another year he had 20 which was 3 years prior to last season. Tells me they dont see him improving enough to be a productive part of the WR group.

We'll see but based on Guyton and Carters production and playing time, i dont see anything dynamic there to elevate them over some other groups that i think have good depth and a few of them i wanted us to draft them.

I liked Gabriel Davis and Tyler Johnson a lot in their draft years. Also liked Quez Watkins,..... Patriots got a steal with Kendrick Bourne from SF and he made Nelson Agholor their #4. I think TB WR depth is just sic.

Just sayin.
              Carter: “they don’t see him improving” - are you referring to the Commander’s staff? I’m intrigued as i expected next to nothing when they signed him and yet every single day of camp he is standing out according to the minimal reporting we’re getting. I mean every single day for the last like maybe 8 days. I think if nothing else he may convince Staley that he doesn’t need a 6th WR on the 53 - but who knows - it depends on how that 6th WR can play STs vs other bottom-roster guys that would play STs. Lets face it - the #6 WR is a ST player or more likely inactive every Sunday.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Carter: “they don’t see him improving” - are you referring to the Commander’s staff? I’m intrigued as i expected next to nothing when they signed him and yet every single day of camp he is standing out according to the minimal reporting we’re getting. I mean every single day for the last like maybe 8 days. I think if nothing else he may convince Staley that he doesn’t need a 6th WR on the 53 - but who knows - it depends on how that 6th WR can play STs vs other bottom-roster guys that would play STs. Lets face it - the #6 WR is a ST player or more likely inactive every Sunday.
                Agree!

Ron Rivera ain't exactly an offensive wiz,
                and their qb play was garbage.

he could be a diamond in the rough.

Comment

• cmplxgal
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • New Jersey
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                  he could be a diamond in the rough.

Popper has been mentioning Carter almost every day in a positive way. That's one (unexpected) thing that has really stood out to me in Popper's daily training camp reports.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

I agree..... I think he will be a great addition as an all round RB.....

Some critics have tried to compare him to Kelley and Roundtree, but Spiller was ranked as a top 3-5 RB in all of college football by many draft experts, vs Kelley and Roundtree were ranked far far lower..... like top 30 or more.... they were just "I need to draft a RB but don't know what to do" picks

I still cant believe TT passed on drafting Mitchell who has starred for 49ers..... who was chosen late in 6th round...... much much better player than roundtree....
                    LT was raving about Spiller when the chargers drafted him. He was quoted as saying that Spiller was one of the RBs he watched the most in colleg last season. It wasn’t just random praise for a fellow Texas product, he actually knew a lot about him when asked. For LT to be that high on him and talk about so many positives it’s probably going to become apparent to all the doubters very soon too. I saw spiller in a few games last year on TV and I came away impressed. He looks like a complete running back, nice size, has game speed, very instinctive runner with great vision, he sets up his blocks, doesn’t waste much motion, attacks the LOS, has decent balance, runs hard, he’s a patient runner yet runs with urgency, solid catching the ball, and pass blocking too. The kid is getting ready to turn 21 so if he pans out the chargers will have a fantastic player with room to grow for years and years.
                    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Spiller turns 22 tomorrow. If he is half as good as Foster was in his prime, it will make this offense virtually unstoppable.
                      21. He’s 20, youngest player chosen in the draft this year.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Yes referring to his career in Washington.

He has been getting some praise in camp and it's nice to see but I'm not going to get hyped up about it til I see him play in games.
                        I usually take the wait and see approach as I've seen plenty of camp hype before.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

Appreciation for Keenan Allen was talked about in here.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1556726634585231361

This is pretty big praise coming from a rising WR in Ja'Marr Chase.

Comment

Working...
                          X