Cowboys @ Chargers Preseason Game Day Thread (PS #2)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

The Raider’s game scares the fuck out of me. As does the KC game. This team looks like it’s going into the season unprepared.
    Watching some of the Raiders preseason and practices, we should beat them handily. But division games are always interesting.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Those pining for Payton for next season, dont hold your breath. Staley isnt gong anywhere after 2 seasons. So weird the panic around here. Hardly any starters ....if nay have played and the sky is falling for some here.
      Dea would be very upset.
      Sean Payton money
      is
      Charity money.
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Rumph has been there all this time. He was one solution to the backup edge rusher issue. It was only a matter of him putting it together. Van Noy is the other, but he could also do his work in the middle.

I'd argue that interior pass rush is every bit of a concern as edge rush. After Fox and Tillery, the pass rush on the IDL isn't that good. The team better keep Gaziano.
        If Rumph can be that guy, we could have packages that put him and Mack on the edges and Joey rushing from the interior. Joey against a guard is a complete mismatch. That's what the Giants did to Brady when they had Justin Tuck rushing from the inside in those Super Bowls, with Strahan and Umenyiora on the edges in the first Super Bowl and Umenyiora and Pierre-Paul in the second. Tuck should have been MVP in both of those games.

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

It’s PFF so take with grain of salt:

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Those pining for Payton for next season, dont hold your breath. Staley isnt gong anywhere after 2 seasons. So weird the panic around here. Hardly any starters ....if nay have played and the sky is falling for some here.
            Why not? If Staley loses multiple winnable games like last year, shouldn’t he be dumped? I love Staley, but he has to perform too.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Watching some of the Raiders preseason and practices, we should beat them handily. But division games are always interesting.
              Concur. But ….
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• QSmokey
                Guardedly Optimistic
                • Jun 2013
                • Kuna, Idaho
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                2 scrimmages, 1 game. And we played poorly 2 out of 3.

it’s not about winning, it’s about playing well. Something is wrong here.
                I didn't watch either of the pre-season games, but based on some of the comments here, it sounds like we have been unimpressive so far.

To that I ask: Is is fair to evaluate the team based on the personnel we've had on the field? I mean, has Herbert even played a down? Has the 1st team been on the field, together, for one snap? What *seems* to be happening is that we're playing, mostly, our 2nd- and 3rd-string guys (as well as guys who are going to be cut), to get a feel for who is going to fill out the roster. Sure, there is the RT competition; and the 2nd RB competition. But, other than that (and depth/ST positions), what else needs to be decided?

Most/all of us can, with some certainty, probably name 18-19 of the starting positions already (if not more). As well as some of the 'package' players that are going to see some significant playing time. It seems to me that there's some sense of trepidation going around here, based on 2 PS games, and I wonder if that's reasonable when it comes to evaluating the team going into the season.

Now, having said that, I don't think there are more the 2-3 "easy" games on the schedule next year. And even those games (see: Houston, 2021) can't be taken lightly. In other words, it's not going to be an easy road to the playoffs, but I don't think that 2 PS games are the best way to predict how the team is going to perform in 2022.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

I didn't watch either of the pre-season games, but based on some of the comments here, it sounds like we have been unimpressive so far.

To that I ask: Is is fair to evaluate the team based on the personnel we've had on the field? I mean, has Herbert even played a down? Has the 1st team been on the field, together, for one snap? What *seems* to be happening is that we're playing, mostly, our 2nd- and 3rd-string guys (as well as guys who are going to be cut), to get a feel for who is going to fill out the roster. Sure, there is the RT competition; and the 2nd RB competition. But, other than that (and depth/ST positions), what else needs to be decided?

Most/all of us can, with some certainty, probably name 18-19 of the starting positions already (if not more). As well as some of the 'package' players that are going to see some significant playing time. It seems to me that there's some sense of trepidation going around here, based on 2 PS games, and I wonder if that's reasonable when it comes to evaluating the team going into the season.

Now, having said that, I don't think there are more the 2-3 "easy" games on the schedule next year. And even those games (see: Houston, 2021) can't be taken lightly. In other words, it's not going to be an easy road to the playoffs, but I don't think that 2 PS games are the best way to predict how the team is going to perform in 2022.
                  You’re missing all the “fun.” And perhaps that’s for the best.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
                    Chargers Hall of Fame
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

There is literally no correlation between regular season record and post season record long term.
                    Record is one thing. Being competitive and having potential backups who can play is another. Always seems we are on the losing side of that game.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

It’s too bad we haven’t seen him at his natural RT position where I think he was solid for the ravens last preseason…he didn’t look all that great at LT today, he got beat a lot…
                      Looked to me it was Bailey at RT that got beat a lot...I may have missed a few though on Sarell....

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                        It’s PFF so take with grain of salt:

I thought Sarell did pretty well...Bailey is a cut for sure...

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I thought Sarell did pretty well...Bailey is a cut for sure...
                          I think opening day starting line up is slater-fieler-linsey-johnson-pipkins

I’m not sure about the reserves tho, do you think maybe they keep 9? IDK, norton, jaimes, salyer, clapp? I’d hate to see sarrell get poached in final cuts but would they keep ten linemen?

I’m not as enthusiastic about jaimes anymore…not 100% but he appears to have reached his ceiling already…
                          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

Working...
                          X