Cowboys @ Chargers Preseason Game Day Thread (PS #2)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Aside from right tackle, my biggest concern was whether or not we had a third pass-rusher to complement Bosa and Mack. I like what I've seen from Rumph so far. Hopefully it translates to the regular season.

Since I first saw Palmer play last preseason I have felt great about him becoming the third wide receiver. With all of the reports I have read since then, and the progress he has shown, I have no doubt that he's going to be good for us.
    There are some positives from the preseason so far…

palmer is going to be a star, massive hit in the 3rd round for the TT and right on time too as KA is heading into his later years in the NFL…

guyton is playing at a different level too, I need to see more but he is not just the speed player he was the last two years, he’s running crisp routes and catching contested balls, plus he still has the blazing speed…

rumph looks like a hit too and he’s not a finished product, he’s not done filling out yet…

morgan fox looks like a really nice pickup…

reeder looks like a solid pickup…

the guys behind van noy and rumph will be solid PS depth at edge…

bandy looks like the next UDFA find by the chargers, he’s going to be a fun player to watch…

zion johnson is a fantastic addition to the offensive line…

the chargers have good depth at WR and kick and punt returner…

the punter is much better than 2021…

Michael davis is going to have a solid season…

the chargers have more depth at LB, DL, and in the secondary than they did in 2021, the depth on defense is still a work in progress but much better than before…

the chargers will have a much better situation at FB this year…

the TE depth is solid once parham and mckitty return…
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Pipkins impressed me. He needs all the reps next to Zion as Zion needs reps next to Pipkins. Storm is hot trash. Not as much depth as I thought. Dallas knifed through line like Swiss cheese :stirringshit:
      On post #542 I wrote this: once I finish watching the game again I’ll update…

went back and re-watched most of the first quarter to see how norton and pipkins did in this game, I’m not PFF but from the small amount I’ve rewatched pipkins looked better than norton. He seems to be communicating with johnson better than norton, the way they worked to together looked smoother and more fluid than the way johnson and norton worked together, that’s my initial incomplete impression from what I saw after rewatching most of the 1st quarter, I have to go back and finish rewatching the rest of the game but I also don’t recall seeing pipkins and maybe norton in the second half at all so that’s why I have to rewatch it…
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

On post #542 I wrote this: once I finish watching the game again I’ll update…

went back and re-watched most of the first quarter to see how norton and pipkins did in this game, I’m not PFF but from the small amount I’ve rewatched pipkins looked better than norton. He seems to be communicating with johnson better than norton, the way they worked to together looked smoother and more fluid than the way johnson and norton worked together, that’s my initial incomplete impression from what I saw after rewatching most of the 1st quarter, I have to go back and finish rewatching the rest of the game but I also don’t recall seeing pipkins and maybe norton in the second half at all so that’s why I have to rewatch it…
        You’re right. You’re not PFF. You actually Know what you’re talking about when it comes to OL, unlike PFF and their grades.

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Well you look at what the Chiefs did and Bills in this week of preseason games & then you look at how the Chargers are playing and a red flag could be forming however we all know... Justin Herbert is going to swoop down from the sky like Superman week 1, and then it will be on with this season!
          The Chiefs and Bills played their starters briefly. While the Chargers decided to follow the Rams lead and not play any. There’s more than one way to skin a cat. If it keeps us more healthy like last year then I’m all for it.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Well you look at what the Chiefs did and Bills in this week of preseason games & then you look at how the Chargers are playing and a red flag could be forming however we all know... Justin Herbert is going to swoop down from the sky like Superman week 1, and then it will be on with this season!
            Staley had a bad preseason last year too and later a 4-1 start to the season…to staley the preseason games are nothing more than an opportunity to evaluate up and coming and depth players...

that’s not to say he wasn’t upset about what the STs unit did out there yesterday…

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
              Okay, of the 23-50 roster guys who actually played today...

Palmer- good game
              Guyton- good
              Michael Davis- 1 series, looked good
              Rumph - good game
              ASJ- 1 series
              Norton- okay
              Johnson- mediocre
              Salyer- mediocre
              Jaimes-okay
              Clapp-okay
              Tillery-Tillery
              Fox-good
              Reeder- good
              Woods- up and down
              Kelley - okay
              Spiller -hurt
              Stick - up and down
              Daniel - Daniel

That's the actual depth on this team. The rest of these guys are fighting for the last 3 spots.

Preseason schedule doesn't fucking matter. Same conversation last year and we started 4-1. 1994 we went 0-4 in preseason. Sooooooooo many examples.
              I could quibble here or there about your ratings but mostly agree and fully endorse your big message is spot on. TPB is gnashing and twitching mostly because guys we are going to cut aren’t as good as guys Dallas is going to cut. Most of all of those guys are getting cut, they are not our “depth”. To pick one example, we saw Sebastian flail and fail repeatedly last night - he won’t be on the 53 and may not even be on the PS after last night. He is not LAC depth.

I see Pip missing, assume you’ve promoted him to first team. Good call - agree, he was more fluid, athletic, held right edge well against pass rush, was moving good on rush plays and I saw him hunting for more work repeatedly when he was not tied up. Norton had good and bad plays, inconsistent much like last year. Johnson+Pip was solid even while at the same time Sarell+Salyer was a dumpster fire. I thought Jaimes was short of ok and he was playing v Dallas 3s and 4s, not 2s.

They need to find a spot for Bandy imo. he’s that sneaky squirrelly slot receiver we don’t have otherwise - the different style we need vs the 5 month long Palmer v Guyton debate about 4.3 v 4.5 we all enjoyed even though they run more the same routes than different. Bandy is actually different - he gets open fast, he’s just harder for DBs to track close in short space. He is welker-like and if not on the 53, should be on the protected PS. Q: don’t teams have to first cut players and then resign them to PS - meaning he could be signed by another team? I’m not sure on the mechanics and team control there

Daniel pulled QB2 back into a tie, which means he’s leading now. Stick had many horrible throws, both the INT, many INC, and even some of the REC.

Underwhelming game overall - can’t argue with those who hated it and thought it sucked. I’d only caution that 2/3 of the bad you saw were guys that will be cut and its not as true a reflection of our eventual 53 depth as some are saying here. Chargers are still a very good team. I like that Staley is not baited by pride or fear to try and do more in PS games than he’s planned. All this desire to see an angry coach ripping it is silly imo. Again - these are guys that are getting cut, it seemed he was putting them in uncomfortable positions on purpose, perhaps to confirm his cut plans
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolts&noles
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Wacthed replay, Stick does not have very good pocket awareness.
                Do they really have to keep both these guys on the roster?

Comment

• Riverwalk
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

its not the win loss ratio..... its how they played the game......

btw, that 1994 team was behind at halftime in EVERY win and we came from behind in 2nd half to win those games..... comeback usually was cause by a ST's return or defensive turnover or score.....

that team was the grittiest team chargers have ever had.... and they were virtually impossible to run on...... opposite of what we have been last several years.....
                  Coaches already know how Allen, Bosa, Mack, Lindsey, James, Herbert, and the rest of the first stringers play. The first priority of preseason games isn’t to win, it’s to trim your squad to the best players allowed. So the more play you give these backups the better you can figure that out.

Regarding the kickoff return…..the glaring problem is our kicker couldn’t hit it long enough into the end zone. We’ve had this problem in the past where our kicker’s leg is too weak. This is deja-vu all over again.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

^^^I agree about the yelling coaches, I learned this in my own life experience, the yelling approach has it’s limitations and eventually folks tune out all the yelling and screaming…I feel confident that most players in the NFL will tell you that they’d rather have their coach treat them like a professional and get on them behind closed doors in a respectful manner rather than in ‘public humiliation’ mode…

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

The coach will be coaching the team. And he apparently can’t coach depth guys. We need a team full of self starter superstars and luckily we have some key players who fit that bill. But clearly Staley can’t get the most out of players
                      The HC doesn’t actually coach deep depth guys on technique and playing methods, does he? Isn’t that position group asst coaches level of coaching. I think its too soon to say Staley can’t do anything, jmo.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Aside from right tackle, my biggest concern was whether or not we had a third pass-rusher to complement Bosa and Mack. I like what I've seen from Rumph so far. Hopefully it translates to the regular season.

Since I first saw Palmer play last preseason I have felt great about him becoming the third wide receiver. With all of the reports I have read since then, and the progress he has shown, I have no doubt that he's going to be good for us.
                        Rumph has been there all this time. He was one solution to the backup edge rusher issue. It was only a matter of him putting it together. Van Noy is the other, but he could also do his work in the middle.

I'd argue that interior pass rush is every bit of a concern as edge rush. After Fox and Tillery, the pass rush on the IDL isn't that good. The team better keep Gaziano.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post

Thats fine. Your projection of what i consider fiery might be more than what i expect though. Its ok to call your players out. Its ok to say they looked like crap. Its ok to be upset and show some passion or maybe a smidge of frustration that its not ok. But sullen and subdued? Passive? Not me man.

Cheers
                          he did say they played poorly. he didn’t yell it, i guess, but he was pretty clear they did not play as he expects and he went on to say the entire NFL is watching and they wouldn’t be playing anywhere as he’d get different players who can execute and nobody else will want them.

That was pretty blunt as far as coach speak goes. He just spoke in a calm voice. I was actually expecting more of the “we didnt do a good job as a coaching staff” …

Comment

Working...
                          X