Cowboys @ Chargers Preseason Game Day Thread (PS #2)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Coaches already know how Allen, Bosa, Mack, Lindsey, James, Herbert, and the rest of the first stringers play. The first priority of preseason games isn’t to win, it’s to trim your squad to the best players allowed. So the more play you give these backups the better you can figure that out.

Regarding the kickoff return…..the glaring problem is our kicker couldn’t hit it long enough into the end zone. We’ve had this problem in the past where our kicker’s leg is too weak. This is deja-vu all over again.

I’m not 100% but I think mcourt was handling the kickoffs last night…
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

The guy who returned a punt and KO for a td was a USFL player
      So we’re the guys who let it happen.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
        I went back and re-watched most of the first quarter to see how norton and pipkins did in this game, I’m not PFF but from the small amount I’ve rewatched pipkins looked better than norton. He seems to be communicating with johnson better than norton, the way they worked to together looked smoother and more fluid than the way johnson and norton worked together, that’s my initial incomplete impression from what I saw after rewatching most of the 1st quarter, I have to go back and finish rewatching the rest of the game but I also don’t recall seeing pipkins and maybe norton in the second half at all so that’s why I have to rewatch it…
        Me too. Zion + Trey was the best combo of any T-G pair last night. Z+N was up and down, mostly N being up and down. Salyer+Sarell was mostly a mess and the replacements later in the game were just horrid. I don’t think I noticed Pipkin in 2nd half either

the WR Screen that Palmer scored on - his lead blocker all the way to the goal line was Pipkins. Pip was hunting for extra work all night long. I like seeing that a lot.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

palmer is going to be a star, massive hit in the 3rd round for the TT and right on time too as KA is heading into his later years in the NFL…

guyton is playing at a different level too, I need to see more but he is not just the speed player he was the last two years, he’s running crisp routes and catching contested balls, plus he still has the blazing speed…
          I've been saying this the entire off-season. This is why I keep saying there is no other WR corps in the NFL as deep with quality talent.
          rumph looks like a hit too and he’s not a finished product, he’s not done filling out yet…

morgan fox looks like a really nice pickup…

reeder looks like a solid pickup…
          No argument here. Maybe Staley really does know what he's doing. At times this preseason Rumph has looked like a man playing among boys. But he has to wrap up the dammmmm QB! ity:

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Coaches already know how Allen, Bosa, Mack, Lindsey, James, Herbert, and the rest of the first stringers play. The first priority of preseason games isn’t to win, it’s to trim your squad to the best players allowed. So the more play you give these backups the better you can figure that out.

Regarding the kickoff return…..the glaring problem is our kicker couldn’t hit it long enough into the end zone. We’ve had this problem in the past where our kicker’s leg is too weak. This is deja-vu all over again.

It was a deliberate choice to kick it short in the first half. Hopkins kicked it into the end zone quite a bit last year.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post

I was a huge fan of the Steelers in the 1970's. Their success was all about their authentic toughness. Not some fake-ass John Wayne shit. Real toughness. Of course you pay a price for that toughness. Center Mike Webster developed brain damage after so many years run-blocking so much. And he did it extremely well.
              The talk has always been that those Steeler teams brought steroid use to the NFL. Of course, there is denial too.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Rumph has been there all this time. He was one solution to the backup edge rusher issue. It was only a matter of him putting it together. Van Noy is the other, but he could also do his work in the middle.

I'd argue that interior pass rush is every bit of a concern as edge rush. After Fox and Tillery, the pass rush on the IDL isn't that good. The team better keep Gaziano.
                At most, we keep 5 DL. Austin and SJD already have two positions locked down.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post

I was happy to hear him say that players who don't play well will be replaced. Those are rare words to be heard from a Chargers coach. For some of these guys it is plain to see that their effort is lacking, it's not an issue with coaching. There are other ways to put the fear of God into players without ranting and raving, and that is one of them. Make an example of a few of these slackers and see if the rest get the message.
                  Hopefully the slackers are cut onTuesday even if it is early. Send a message.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Hupperdoo View Post
                    Fire Staley.
                    Two words Staley needs to hear.

Sean Payton.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I feel good about the Raiders game.
                      The Raider’s game scares the fuck out of me. As does the KC game. This team looks like it’s going into the season unprepared.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Aside from right tackle, my biggest concern was whether or not we had a third pass-rusher to complement Bosa and Mack. I like what I've seen from Rumph so far. Hopefully it translates to the regular season.

Since I first saw Palmer play last preseason I have felt great about him becoming the third wide receiver. With all of the reports I have read since then, and the progress he has shown, I have no doubt that he's going to be good for us.
                        Palmer plays fast, Palmer plays physical, Palmer makes the tough catches. There’s a lot to love there.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

There MUST be urgency.
                          It is obvious.
                          The Herbert rookie contract window.
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment