• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post
    i think you are going to see a very aggressive offense Thursday. I hope in the coaches meeting that was a discussion. I HATE not going for the kill. Taking your foot off the gas whatever you want to call it. It sucks. We had enough that type of strategy with Schott. I think Herbert is smart enough that he can check into and out of plays with ease. I think we're in for a shoot out.
    Yep. Pedal to the metal, baby! When u have Herbie the Lamborghini, don't mess with him and try to turn him into Herbie the Love Bug...

Comment

• Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
      Easily might of been Staleys call to be more conservative as I think he believes in his defense and special teams much more this year.

he passed on a 4th and short too when the win probability models said go for it.
      If that is his thinking, then Staley has his head up his backside.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I think they were playing a bit of the clock at times. Like at the end of the third quarter - got the ball with like 1 plus to go - did two running plays to take it to the fourth quarter. Okay, that makes sense as limiting possessions. But when you don't convert on third down and punt, how much time did you really save

The McKitty drop was a huge play as if he catches that - sets up a manageable third and short . Ekeler was a yard short

So yes I think they got at times too conservative with the run run pass to milk the clock
        I never have understood why people insist that later in the game with a lead, a team needs to run the ball to burn the clock. Clock is burned by keeping possession, which means getting first downs. So teams should do what they do best to get first downs. We are a passing team, so we need to be passing the ball to get first downs to keep the clock moving, not go three and out with run, run, pass, and give the ball back to our opponent over and over and over again (see Lynn, Anthony).
        Last edited by Guest; 09-14-2022, 01:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Velo View Post
          The Chargers won a huge game. Herbert was perfect. He didn't get sacked once. The offense didn't turn over the ball. Let's enjoy that shall we?
          The point is that if Lombardi calls more games like he did on Sunday, we will lose games that we should be winning. Just because he got away with it is not cause for celebration. He needs to recognize that he screwed up big time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Classic View Post
            Feel the same way. Hopefully the KA injury forces him to be more aggressive. Also Sony is finished amd Kelly is way better so far
            I agree.

Comment

• Originally posted by jamrock View Post
              Our offense needs to have more imagination and scheme to spring our guys and get them in favorable match ups. It became clear once KA went out that we do t have any WRs who can get separation in the route tree on their own. It was also weird to me that they weren’t getting Ek the ball in space more. We don’t have explosive players on offense so we need a more creative scheme. Not sure Lombardi can provide it.
              Ekeler was very underutilized.

Comment

• Originally posted by kgbpasha View Post
                Great game. Not the perfect play calling but that game has never existed.

Lombardi and Herbert were on the same page.
                Herbert killed a lot of that second half air game after reading the defense.

"Establishing the run" is how you win games in the second half with a lead.
                Kill clock, less chance of turning the ball over and crush their hopes with your own defense.

That's exactly what went down.

Good game called on both sides of the ball.
                #boltup
                Again, the part in bold italics is totally false. Killing clock means getting first downs, not running the ball. So whatever we do best to get first downs, that is what we should be doing. For us, that usually means passing the ball, but if teams played a very light box against us, it could be running the ball against that kind of defense.

Lombardi called an awful game. He would have been the LV's game MVP if he had created just one more successful drive for the Raiders by turtling in classic Anthony Lynn fashion. As it was, he came very close to snatching defeat from the jaws of victory for us.

Comment

• Originally posted by ghost View Post
                  I reject this premise entirely. Keenan went down and Coach had the team punt and play defense instead of being ultra-aggressive on offense. Did the defense seal the win and achieve what the Coach wanted done? Yes.

A monumental shift has happened in Charger football, like when LT was supplanted by Rivers and the Chargers became a passing team. And that is what I think is perturbing some people here....The defense won that game. NOT the offense.
                  No, your statement does not reflect a good understanding of what I am thinking at all.

We had a chance to win this game by 20+ points just like KC clubbed ARI to death, but we turtled and nearly lost because of idiotic play calling. We had no trouble driving the ball and scoring without Allen. We needed to keep our foot on the gas with the passing attack and not call the offense in such a away as to give us a chance to lose the game. The Raiders never should have been anywhere near within 5 points of us.

This kind of Anthony Lynn ball BS offensive play calling needs to stop immediately. It will lose us games.

Having a 14 point lead multiple times, what part of giving the opponent multiple possessions with a chance to win the game seems like a good strategy to you? We do not run the ball well. We throw the ball very well. It is not difficult to figure out what we should have been doing in the second half. Here's a hint: it should have looked just like the first half save the two lame 3rd and 4th down running fails that cost us points on the series in question.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                    It is great that Lombardi recognizes that. I know the pass to run ratio was nowhere near as high as it usually is in a Lombardi game. Usually, he does a better job at getting a higher, more appropriate ratio in light of our offensive strengths.

Comment

Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 12.05.50 PM.png

4th ranked offense in 2021 in the league and every week casual football fans excoriate Lombardi. Yawn.
                      He underachieved given our talent and even he admitted he went too conservative in Sunday's game. I guess us casual fans might know some things after all.

Comment

IMO, watching Derek Carr fumble under duress on 3rd down and then again on 4th down with the game on the line was outstanding, AND NOBODY is talking about that defensive feat. Because on their fantasy football roster, they started Mike Williams, I guess....
                        No, we are talking about Lombardi because he unnecessarily put the game in a situation in which the defense had to save his and the team's backside. Get it?

Seriously, but for Lombardi's crappy play calling, we probably should have won that game about 45-19.

Lombardi was the reason why the Raiders had the ball with a chance to win the game multiple times in the 4th quarter instead of us winning by 20+ points.

Comment

• Originally posted by OG619FrightninLightnin View Post
                          Tick off all of the records Herbert has crushed under Lombardi.
                          And he is still holding him back just as Norv Turner held some of our good teams back a little over a decade ago.

Comment

Working...
                          X