• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
    If you’re going into conservative lead mode, you’d better get more than 2 yards on runs and 3rd down fails. Went and grabbed a soda in the fridge (1st and 10). Got back and the Chargers were punting.
    How far is the fridge from your tv?

Comment

• Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Very true nutnwhennyounare having trouble.rumning, itngelos to do the short passing game to set up second and short , etc. As for CC, he wants to pass on every down.
      Not so. I have already stated that I think we can run the ball effectively as a change of pace, especially when the run is not expected. We should avoid running the ball when the run is expected as we usually fail at that. For every full three down series, at least two of the plays should be passes. Since our best player is the QB, we should be pass heavy (66% to 71% of the time), but not pass exclusive.

Also, we can use the occasional end around or jet sweep and RPO as part of our running game. I am fine with Herbert running a few times per game on designed runs in addition to a few runs being made under pressure. I like running plays on second down and 8-10 yards because we run the ball better when the other team does not expect it. I think those situations tend to help open up running lanes and Ekeler is good in the open field when he gets those running lanes.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

When you throw the ball every play that is incomplete stops the clock. When you run it, the clock doesn't stop just because you didn't make any yards. Plain and simple - that's why teams tend to run more with a lead in the second half. Our mistake was not recognizing that they were capable of stopping our runs. We needed to go to the quick pass, five yards at a time game. But, if we had been able to run against them, that was the smart play.
        Mostly agree with this, Roo...the only thing I might add is to throw an occasional midrange pass to get the opposing D to sag off of the stacked box a bit--which in turn, helps your ground game and short pass game...

Comment

• Maniaque 6
          French Speaking Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Québec city
          • Send PM

Screen play is what I want to see.
          Going long after.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

At first, I perceived this thread as the forum equivalent of click bait.

135 Responses, 9619 Views, and 4 Likes later, lone wolf wu-dai still waves it all off.

This was the first game.

Our OC is still getting a sense of what the 2022 version of this team is, and what the flow of each unique game and matchup will be.

You are too hard on yourself, Joe.

The overwhelming majority wants to go wide open shootout vs KS, but IDK, a steady diet of, say, Sony running behind Zion might be a good idea.

Any predictions of how good a game Joe Lombardi is gonna call tomorrow night, or will it all be Friday morning quarterback, second guessing around here ?
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Riverwalk
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2021
              • Send PM

I got Friday morning second guessing covered.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                We Are The Storm!
                • Aug 2018
                • Send PM

I honestly hope we have a lead in the 4th to even have this discussion again.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

135 Responses, 9619 Views, and 4 Likes later, lone wolf wu-dai still waves it all off.

This was the first game.

Our OC is still getting a sense of what the 2022 version of this team is, and what the flow of each unique game and matchup will be.

The overwhelming majority wants to go wide open shootout vs KS, but IDK, a steady diet of, say, Sony running behind Zion might be a good idea.

Any predictions of how good a game Joe Lombardi is gonna call tomorrow night, or will it all be Friday morning quarterback, second guessing around here ?
                  Wood, I like the idea of running Sony behind Zion, but the Bolts did try that vs. the Raiders and Michel only gained 12 yds on 7 carries (see box score below). Even Ekkie only had 14/36. Kelley was better with 4/21. As I mentioned earlier, the Raiders stacked the box against us, especially in the second half, which effectively stopped most of our ground game. I wouldn't exactly say I want a wide shootout vs. the ChiggerChefs, but at least a few deep shots mixed in with some mid-range routes, to keep KC from stacking the box and stopping our running attack. Balance.

bolts vs raiders box score.JPG
                  Box score for the Los Angeles Chargers vs. Las Vegas Raiders NFL game from September 11, 2022 on ESPN. Includes all passing, rushing and receiving stats.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Keep running right. Trust me.

Comment

• Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

This was the first game.

I think if we go run heavy with Michel, we will lose by 30 because we will not be scoring and we will be giving KC extra possessions by constantly going three and out.

On the other hand, the Chiefs just had to put McDuffie, the #21 overall pick in this year's draft on IR. Their depth after their first two CBs seems pretty sketchy to me such that we might be able to generate some mismatches if we use Williams, Guyton and Carter a lot.

My hope is that Lombardi meant what he said about realizing that he made a mistake with his play calling in the last game and that he will go much more pass heavy against KC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Wood, I like the idea of running Sony behind Zion, but the Bolts did try that vs. the Raiders and Michel only gained 12 yds on 7 carries (see box score below). Even Ekkie only had 14/36. Kelley was better with 4/21. As I mentioned earlier, the Raiders stacked the box against us, especially in the second half, which effectively stopped most of our ground game. I wouldn't exactly say I want a wide shootout vs. the ChiggerChefs, but at least a few deep shots mixed in with some mid-range routes, to keep KC from stacking the box and stopping our running attack. Balance.

bolts vs raiders box score.JPG
                        https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore/_/gameId/401437643
                        I want us going toe toe with KC in the passing game. Herbert is better than Mahomes and our defense is better than theirs. I do not want balance. We went 63 versus 37 (percentages) in favor of the pass last year in KC and I think we should maybe even pass the ball a little bit more than that.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Utah
                          • Midnight Toker
                          • Send PM

I think we were all wanting a complete ass whoopin like the game should have been. Blow the doors off. That games should have been 44 - 19. We dominated. Lombo needs to show off his Bugatti. You don't buy it for the looks. You buy it knowing you take take it up to 230 mph whenever you feel like it. People want to see blood. There was blood in the water on sunday and lombo didn't take advantage. I hope he learned his lesson.

Comment

Working...
                          X