Chargers @ Chiefs Game Day Thread / Post Game Reaction (Week 2)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

That was what was so weird about it. From the angles shown, the hit did not seem like that big of a deal in the world of NFL type hits. The hit must have somehow caught Herbert just right for him to have been injured.
    On second look, it appears that Herbert landed on the guys helmet instead of the ground on his left side and that probably broke his ribs

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Patrick Mahomes is 22-3 against the afc west. That is astounding.

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

On second look, it appears that Herbert landed on the guys helmet instead of the ground on his left side and that probably broke his ribs
        I saw that initially. If he had just hit the ground, it might not have been so bad. I hope he didn't break anything, but that's going to hurt for a while, but not enough to restrict his throwing... I hope.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Losing this game is no big deal. Each team has seven games until the rematch with KC in SoFi Nov. 20. In those seven games, the Chiefs go to Indy next week, followed by games against five 2021 playoff teams in the subsequent six games. One of those games is against the Bills.

The Chargers in the seven games until the rematch with KC only face one playoff team (@SF Nov 13).

The Nov. 20 game against the Chiefs in SoFi will be the game that decides the division. Not last night's game.

There are a lot of positives for the Chargers to take away from last night's game. And some lessons to be learned. For example, being more cognizant when going no-huddle that you might have a player who's too winded, from just having made a play, to continue. Or Herbert recognizing that player is too tired and don't throw the ball to him.

But the defense holding Mahomes to 235 yds and two TDs, while Herbert throwing for 334 yds and 3 TDs is fantastic. There was just that one play that changed the game. A mistake that can be learned from and avoided in the future.

I'm concerned about the injuries to Linsley and Pipkins. We can't keep losing OL. And I'm concerned about Feiler getting abused last night and leaving Herbert vulnerable to getting hit. Zion Johnson is fantastic. He's going right down the path Slater forged last season. I would not be opposed to drafting another 1st round guard with the 32nd pick in the 2023 draft to plug into left guard.

I am also concerned about Josh Palmer. Granted, he scored that TD, good for him. But he does not look like the player we were expecting, the player he was at the end of the year last season. When he played in place of Keenan in a couple of games last season, he was open, Herbert was hitting him for long gains, and he was making plays. But this year, in the preseason he didn't look right. And the first two games of this season he seems to have disappeared. I wonder if there is something going on in his personal life that is distracting him.

Another WR who has disappeared is Jalen Guyton. Herbert is throwing to DeAndre Carter and Gerald Everett and they are making plays. But has Guyton even been targeted?

JC Jackson getting burned by a scrub WR - is it cause for concern? I don't think so. He got turned around and couldn't recover in time. But he has not had any playing time this season yet, so I'll chalk it up to that and expect better things from him going forward.

Overall, I think we're in good shape. We have six consecutive games against non 2021 playoff teams. First up are Jax and Houston. We will rack up wins, players will get healthy, and the issues that have held the team back the first two weeks will be resolved.

Comment

• AL9000
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2022
            • San Diego, CA
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

That was what was so weird about it. From the angles shown, the hit did not seem like that big of a deal in the world of NFL type hits. The hit must have somehow caught Herbert just right for him to have been injured.
            The hit was clean. I think Herbert actually landed on part of the dude's helmet.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
              Another WR who has disappeared is Jalen Guyton. Herbert is throwing to DeAndre Carter and Gerald Everett and they are making plays. But has Guyton even been targeted?
              Carter is better at virtually everything than Guyton and is our deep threat, along with Williams. Not sure that will change, unless Palmer and Herbert don't get on the same page - but I expect that to happen.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Even though our D was dominant in the first half, our D also made some serious mistakes in the 2nd half to allow the Chefs to get back into the game. Some people have been praising Murray for improved play, but I still think the dude whiffs too much trying to tackle. He either tackles too high and whiffs, or on the rare occasions when he goes low, he fails to wrap up. For example, on that big gainer by Edwards-Helaire, K9 (yellow) is in perfect position to make the tackle short of the first down marker:

k9 whiff edwards 0.JPG

But no. K9 dives at Edwards's legs...

k9 whiff edwards 1.JPG

...and whiffs:

k9 whiff edwards 2a.JPG

Edwards breaks free for the first down and more:

k9 whiff 2 vs kc.JPG

Sorry, still not sold on K9...to view video, it starts at 5:47: https://youtu.be/mRWrvWCkRVY?t=347

Comment

• AL9000
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2022
                  • San Diego, CA
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

If they had lost, you would not have seen him here. He'd be sulking in his mom's basement.
                  I think he'd still be here trying to convince himself and us that somehow Mahomes is better than Herbert.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                    Patrick Mahomes is 22-3 against the afc west. That is astounding.
                    Yeah but he got really lucky last night, one ref aided overturned INT, and two I thought that samuel should’ve caught…it’s a totally different game if the refs didn’t call bullshit and our guys held on to the ball…
                    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• joebarnin
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post

Keepin your head in the....sand is a loser mentality. Facts are facts.If anyone truly still believes the refs are 100% honest and uncorrupted in these games then they are just being willfully ignorant.
                      So why do you keep watching the NFL? Seriously, if the refs are corrupt and the games are fixed, what's the point in watching?

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Yeah but he got really lucky last night, one ref aided overturned INT, and two I thought that samuel should’ve caught…it’s a totally different game if the refs didn’t call bullshit and our guys held on to the ball…
                        Not to mention the phantom penalty that wiped out what could have been a 4th interception.

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by joebarnin View Post

So why do you keep watching the NFL? Seriously, if the refs are corrupt and the games are fixed, what's the point in watching?
                          Same. If someone believes there is a conspiracy to fix games and the refs are doing the fixing, then what is the point in watching. Unfortunately, some people are susceptible to believing there is a conspiracy behind everything.

Comment

Working...
                          X