Chargers @ Chiefs Game Day Thread / Post Game Reaction (Week 2)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

oh, so for Staley he gets a pass and maybe he'll learn from his mistake but for Everett you want to reduce his playing time, call him football stupid, lazy all the tropes come out
    Not quite so black and white. Staley is taking the blame, as most coaches do, as ultimately he is judged by how his players perform. If Everett continues to make bonehead mistakes and Staley keeps throwing back out there, Staley should be criticized for it. Everett simply can't do what he did. Run the route or take a knee - we saw what happened when he does neither.

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Not quite so black and white. Staley is taking the blame, as most coaches do, as ultimately he is judged by how his players perform. If Everett continues to make bonehead mistakes and Staley keeps throwing back out there, Staley should be criticized for it. Everett simply can't do what he did. Run the route or take a knee - we saw what happened when he does neither.
      It’s interesting with Staley. He had no problem throwing Adderley under the bus to defend JC Jackson getting torched by an Ivy leaguer. So he takes the heat for some and not others.

everett has been a great addition for us. Good YAC and a weapon. Don’t forget he had back to back catch and runs to get us down to the 3, the second of which required him to carry 2 defenders on his back for 10 yards. Not sure where the “continues to make mistakes” comes from.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Is that really the bottom line?
        He is trained to do what he's told as best as he can, and to now ask him to make an executive decision to take a knee is a hard ask for someone who is trained to do what he's told.
        I think blaming the TE is pety and avoiding placing appropriate blame on those more responsible, namely Staley and our darling Herbert.
        Staley already admitted and took full responsibility, which I would say is just generous, and he should take shared/most.
        But Herbert too, as the QB and leader, he needs to have a feel for his weapons, especially in a critical time in the game.
        It's amazing to me how we can baby our leaders (Staley and Herbert) and place the "bottom line" on a FA TE for not making his case strong enough.

but let's stick with blaming Everett as a hypothetical
        If he was supposed to take a knee, why didn't he?
        He knew this is exactly what he should do because that's been communicated clearly by the greatest offensive coordinator in the game, right?
        Maybe he tried to take a knee but executed it wrongly?
        What is the explanation for why GE didn't take a knee that will resolve everyone but him of responsibility??
        serious question.
        Players dont know that if they are hurt they should go down and not cause a blown play, delay of game, wasted timeout or other team fail? Coaches need to coach this now to pros?

Your explanation is that he was effectively impaired from performing a play and somebody else should have intervened. yet he lined up at TE position for the play and he ran out into the route. Herbie is supposed to know he was only going to play the first half of the play and then quit on it?

Sorry - Every man is responsible for his actions. Everett was supposed to cut inside and he instead jumped outside right as Herbie threw the ball. Screw the coaches and what they should have done to save Everett from Everett - he was on the field and in the route and he only then hung his QB out to dry. He simply had to step inward - lets not dramatize that he was asked to run a marathon after completing a triathlon - he just had to step inward. that inward step was no more strenuous than the huge hop he made towards the sideline.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

It’s interesting with Staley. He had no problem throwing Adderley under the bus to defend JC Jackson getting torched by an Ivy leaguer. So he takes the heat for some and not others.

everett has been a great addition for us. Good YAC and a weapon. Don’t forget he had back to back catch and runs to get us down to the 3, the second of which required him to carry 2 defenders on his back for 10 yards. Not sure where the “continues to make mistakes” comes from.
          So Jackson "got torched" because another player was out of position? That's like saying Herbert made a bad throw because Everett stopped running his route. With no context or thought I suppose one could jump to that conclusion by looking at the result of the play, but that doesn't mean it would be faintly close to describing what actually happened and why.

Comment

• perryao
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Very simple, Everett didn't execute and it caused the interception. The rest is all noise. Herbert, excuse me but- no blame for not tackling the guy. Ask all 32 head coaches in the NFL if they want their starting QB to sacrifice his body during the 2nd game of the season. All 32 will say "hell no".

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by perryao View Post
              Very simple, Everett didn't execute and it caused the interception. The rest is all noise. Herbert, excuse me but- no blame for not tackling the guy. Ask all 32 head coaches in the NFL if they want their starting QB to sacrifice his body during the 2nd game of the season. All 32 will say "hell no".
              Yet that play led to the come from behind pass heavy O, which put Herbert in position to get injured. He calls a TO, they run it in for the score the next play, they go ahead and the D can keep the contain going on Mahomes. And the O can play to Lombo’s strength, conservative ball control to burn the clock and keep the lead. Herbie’s not that QB yet, I believe he’ll learn from this, Staley too.

That play not only lost the game for us, but likely the season. It’s the Charger way.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                French Speaking Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Québec city
                • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Yet that play led to the come from behind pass heavy O, which put Herbert in position to get injured. He calls a TO, they run it in for the score the next play, they go ahead and the D can keep the contain going on Mahomes. And the O can play to Lombo’s strength, conservative ball control to burn the clock and keep the lead. Herbie’s not that QB yet, I believe he’ll learn from this, Staley too.

That play not only lost the game for us, but likely the season. It’s the Charger way.
                The season ???????????

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

The season ???????????
                  If it lead to Herbert’s injury, and I believe it did, and his play suffers because of it, then yeah, plays like that can mean a team’s season is toast. If you don’t have your star players, or you have them but their abilities are reduced, then you don’t really have star players. And this league requires that to win.

Hopefully he can recover and play at a high level, we’ll soon find out.

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Players dont know that if they are hurt they should go down and not cause a blown play, delay of game, wasted timeout or other team fail? Coaches need to coach this now to pros?

Your explanation is that he was effectively impaired from performing a play and somebody else should have intervened. yet he lined up at TE position for the play and he ran out into the route. Herbie is supposed to know he was only going to play the first half of the play and then quit on it?

Sorry - Every man is responsible for his actions. Everett was supposed to cut inside and he instead jumped outside right as Herbie threw the ball. Screw the coaches and what they should have done to save Everett from Everett - he was on the field and in the route and he only then hung his QB out to dry. He simply had to step inward - lets not dramatize that he was asked to run a marathon after completing a triathlon - he just had to step inward. that inward step was no more strenuous than the huge hop he made towards the sideline.
                    Nope, not saying any of that.
                    1. Who is/was hurt? Who said anything about being hurt?
                    2. HE intervened, when he signaled for a break; and consequently, denied said break.
                    3. He fucked up while TRYING to do his job that he communicated he wasn't ready for.

If I'm writing a report for you as my boss, and tell you, "hey boss, I really need a break, I'm super tired, can I get this to you by end of day?"
                    and you respond with, "no I need them right now, please and thank you."
                    Do NOT blame me for making a mistake on said report, at least not without taking most of it yourself. You chose to manage me, your employee that way. I did the responsible thing and attempted to communicate my needs and limits, you chose to deny me and thus as a result, I did poorly.

So again, there's plenty of blame to spread here, but it goes top down.
                    Now, if Gerald didn't ask for a time out and gave no indication he couldn't go, then he is 100% at fault. He simply failed to do his job AND failed to communicate his barrier to do his job.
                    G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                      French Speaking Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Québec city
                      • Send PM

Kirk Gibson struck a homerun in World Serie with a very bad foot !

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by perryao View Post
                        I think there's more context that would sway a few of those coaches:
                        1. Their qb is in position to make the tackle, he is capable, and the only player in position to make said tackle.
                        2. "Sacrificing his body" is only 1 possible outcome, and there are hundreds of tackles every Sunday and by far the majority of them result in no harm.
                        3. It is a critical stop in the game against your main division rival and obstacle from winning the division.
                        4. You're willing to risk his health by having him play with a rib injury in a late 4th quarter passing situation with 2 starting OL guys out.
                        5. You accept that there is inherent risk in playing football and ask even your most important players to perform simple football tasks like tackling 1 guy once. Vs. Asking them to somersault, backflip, strip the ball and fly into the endzone.

Tackling is a reasonable ask for someone we're asking to make passes as 4 plus guys attempt to hit him on every play.
                        G-Ro knows.

Comment

• perryao
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I think there's more context that would sway a few of those coaches:
                          If you asked all coaches in the NFL, I submit that all of them would say that Herbert made a good effort to make the tackle (and in fact did a good job forcing the runner to the inside). No coach would expect him to make that tackle, nor should any fan. He isn't trained in angles, he isn't trained in aim point and controlled run, and he certainly doesn't participate in tackling drills AND he is much more important for the SEASON than this one play, game, performance.
                          1. Their qb is in position to make the tackle, he is capable, and the only player in position to make said tackle.
                          2. "Sacrificing his body" is only 1 possible outcome, and there are hundreds of tackles every Sunday and by far the majority of them result in no harm.
                          3. It is a critical stop in the game against your main division rival and obstacle from winning the division.
                          4. You're willing to risk his health by having him play with a rib injury in a late 4th quarter passing situation with 2 starting OL guys out.
                          5. You accept that there is inherent risk in playing football and ask even your most important players to perform simple football tasks like tackling 1 guy once. Vs. Asking them to somersault, backflip, strip the ball and fly into the endzone.
                          There is only one context that would sway an NFL coach- if this had been an elimination game. But really, it's moot- Herbert made a legit attempt to make the tackle and did put his body at risk. I'm not sure what else you want.

Tackling is a reasonable ask for someone we're asking to make passes as 4 plus guys attempt to hit him on every play.
                          Herbert answered the ask in both circumstances. I'm just saying the coaches are certainly telling him to take it easy on interception returns. The one is part of his training, the other isn't. Which one, over 100 plays, is he more likely to get hurt? The one he isn't trained to do. And it's not just the tackling, there are defensive players out there looking to pancake him on returns he is pursuing.

Comment

Working...
                          X