• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BayAreaBoltz
    Chargers Hall of Fame
    • Sep 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I saw Ek behind three dudes and was thinking "convoy" but 21 made a nice play (or somebody whiffed). You follow that with a drop and you have a 3 and out. And that was not on Lombo at all.
    Feiler whiffed.

And nobody wants us to pass every down. That's always the eye-roll comeback whenever we get disgruntled with Lombo. To be fair, Lombo was disgruntled with Lombo earlier this year, admitting that he got too conservative.

It's not that binary (all pass or all run). It's 1) Play more to your strengths. A LOT more. 2) Your the OC, so coach or design better runs. Scheme it up. Do something.

In both of these points, the argument is to stop doing the same old thing each drive/week/season that doesn't work. Do something different (play calls or play design).

And play to more our strengths (which ain't running on first and second down most drives).

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I go back to the first drive - maybe second of second half. Its a 2nd and something, screen to Ekeler, three guys in front but somehow 21 on Houston got between and made a play to make it 3rd and 3 or so. Next play, Everett drops the ball

Just little stuff like that - the screen looked like a solid call
      That was key. We got the second half kick off and with points would have probably killed their spirit. Ek usually makes one guy miss. Not that time. Everett all alone on the third down play and dropped it. That hurt. We had ALL the momentum until then. Keenan we miss ya buddy

Comment

• Heatmiser
        HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Good points on the 2nd half first drive. Additionally, Herbert keeps making odd reads at times, missing wide open guys. Has done it every game this year so far (the INT that should have been except the Houston LB dropped it is a great example). I was always impressed with Herbert, even as a rookie, when it came to going through his reads and progressions. He seems to have taken a step back on this at times. I just don't get it. I am sure they are working on it because if I can see it, it has to be extremely obvious to tenured coaches with all the detailed clips they get.

And I posted this elsewhere, but I think the new OL/Run game coordinator ain't doing a great job. We miss Frank Smith. The new guy seems to get a pass.....

TG
        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
          Good points on the 2nd half first drive. Additionally, Herbert keeps making odd reads at times, missing wide open guys. Has done it every game this year so far (the INT that should have been except the Houston LB dropped it is a great example). I was always impressed with Herbert, even as a rookie, when it came to going through his reads and progressions. He seems to have taken a step back on this at times. I just don't get it. I am sure they are working on it because if I can see it, it has to be extremely obvious to tenured coaches with all the detailed clips they get.

And I posted this elsewhere, but I think the new OL/Run game coordinator ain't doing a great job. We miss Frank Smith. The new guy seems to get a pass.....

TG
          Missing practice time seems to be messing with his timing a bit.

Comment

• PhilaBoltster
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

What I’ve noticed our offense is lacking are creative pass routes for the RBs. Unless its a screen, our RB just goes out into the flat and turns around as a fallback option after Herbert goes through the rest of the field.

It was evident in the Jaguars game that they had routes set up to clear space for their RBs to catch in stride with room to run, seemingly as a first quick option, and they were very effective for easy passes and often big yards. I’d like to see more of that.

Comment

• Heatmiser
              HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Missing practice time seems to be messing with his timing a bit.
              For sure not helping, Rich. But even against the Raiders I was seeing this problem with seeing wide open guys. Every QB missing occasionally and I am sure their is a lot going on when you are playing vs watching TV. But I am seeing it every game from Herbert multiple times a game. Maybe I am just more focused on it?

TG
              Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

The Chargers have the No. 1 passing offense, with their top WR sidelined, their QB injured, and a rookie 6th rd draft pick starting at LT.

But hey don't you know the offensive coordinator sucks?

Comment

• BearWithJetpack
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                  The Chargers have the No. 1 passing offense, with their top WR sidelined, their QB injured, and a rookie 6th rd draft pick starting at LT.

But hey don't you know the offensive coordinator sucks?
                  They also have the number 32 rushing offense and have no choice but to throw the ball.

Lucky for Lombardi he has literally the most talented quarterback this franchise has ever had.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by PhilaBoltster View Post
                    What I’ve noticed our offense is lacking are creative pass routes for the RBs. Unless its a screen, our RB just goes out into the flat and turns around as a fallback option after Herbert goes through the rest of the field.

It was evident in the Jaguars game that they had routes set up to clear space for their RBs to catch in stride with room to run, seemingly as a first quick option, and they were very effective for easy passes and often big yards. I’d like to see more of that.
                    Yes, this goes back to my comment last week that Herbert holds the ball too long.

The biggest talked about successful change the coach made to Tua this season was getting him to throw faster…..as soon as his foot was planted.

Herbert used to be quicker but perhaps that’s when he didn’t read all of his progressions. I don’t know why but by the time Herbert checks down to his RB they are smothered with defenders.

Is Lombardi even aware? Doubt it.

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Let Herbert call the plays. He’s smart enough

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                        Let Herbert call the plays. He’s smart enough
                        Why not?

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by BearWithJetpack View Post

They also have the number 32 rushing offense and have no choice but to throw the ball.

Lucky for Lombardi he has literally the most talented quarterback this franchise has ever had.
                          We have the worst rushing offense in the league precisely BECAUSE Lombo doesn't dial up enough long and intermediate range passes...

Comment

Working...
                          X