• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

They way it works is the HC makes the decision to go for it, then it's up to the play caller to come up with the right play. I opined earlier that I didn't like Lombardi's call on that play. He was thinking he should get it to his best playmaker - Mike Will - on a bang-bang short pass play. But it was predictable. The Browns' defense knew was expecting it. I would've been less predictable than Lombardi on that situation. I would've faked a handoff to Ekeler, then faked a throw to MW, then hit Ekeler on the wheel route. The play would not have been as bang-bang as the play he called, but it would have put the defense off balance, not what they were expecting. But I appreciate Lombardi admitting he could've made a better play call there. It shows he is able to learn from his mistakes and improve, and it increases my confidence in him.
    And this is the problem hiring first time HCs and OCs. They have to learn as well as, as the young players do so you will get growing pains.
    Just like Buffalos HC making the bonehead decision in the playoffs against the Chiefs on the kickoff. Cost him a victory and a SB appearance.
    Last edited by Boltjolt; 10-15-2022, 03:24 PM.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

And this is the problem hiring first time HCs and OCs. They have to learn as well as young players so you will get groing pains. Just like Buffalos HC making the bonehead decision in the playoffs against the Chiefs on the kickoff. Cost him a victory and possibly a SB appearance.
      You are right. The mistakes this coaching staff has made are plain, but hopefully with that comes growth that leads to good things.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2022
        • White Rock, BC Canada
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
        I find it refreshing that an coordinator or coach will admit when they've made a mistake, or could've made a better decision. Most will never admit that publicly. That Lombardi does so shows me that he is constantly learning and building his skill as a coordinator and that he is committed to getting it right.

What my point really was this is the 3rd game I have heard Lombardi saying he should have made better play calls. Becoming a habit.

Also, does Lombardi really deserve massive credit for bringing Herbert along? I think Herbert throws for 5000 yards with many coaches, and some critics say NO offence that Lombardi is running with so much dink and dunk is holding Herbert back. It was perfect for Drew Brees when his arm was shot but this arm is the best in the NFL. Sure Herbert is getting good numbers, but I think this offence is more predicatble than dynamic and does not keep a defence off balance or guessing.

I would say Justin Herbert, with his size, athleticism, rocket arm, smarts, processing, poise, work ethic is a very special QB that will make any coach look good, not the other way around. Herbert does not need Joe Lombardi to be become one of the best QBs of his generation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

And this is the problem hiring first time HCs and OCs. They have to learn as well as, as the young players so you will get growing pains.
          Just like Buffalos HC making the bonehead decision in the playoffs against the Chiefs on the kickoff. Cost him a victory and possibly a SB appearance.
          I think the decision not to kick the ball cost the Bills nothing short of a Super Bowl victory. They were the best team in last year's playoffs.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post
            Getting back to the Cleveland game here are some comments from Lombardi when addressing Keenan Allen's comments and all the media attention on Staley...

On Friday, offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi expressed regret over the fourth-down playcall.

"I wish I had that call back," Lombardi said, adding later in regard to the decision to go for it on fourth down, "I just felt guilty because I felt like I could have made a better play-call and everyone would have thought it was the smartest decision ever."

so my question is....Is it a problem that our OC is regularly apologizing or recognizing that he could have made better calls?
            The apologizing is not the issue. Frankly, he could have apologized for his play calling in all five games. The issue, of course, is the ongoing poor play calling.

And I never would have thought that the decision to go for it was the smartest decision ever.

As for the play called on 4th down, as Peter King correctly noted, it was not smart to have Herbert in the shotgun, which essentially told CLE that the play was a pass. This was a game in which we had run the ball for over 200 yards, so disguising the play with a run look certainly would have given CLE something to think about as would a run fake. The other poor aspect of the play call is that it did not scheme anyone open by a rub or other route running aspect (such as a clear out route).

I am tired of Lombardi's apologies and hindsight. He needs to get it right the first time. Since, based upon his poor performance to date, I do not believe he can, I am comfortable with play calling duties being taken from him and ultimately, with him being dismissed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Velo View Post
              I find it refreshing that an coordinator or coach will admit when they've made a mistake, or could've made a better decision. Most will never admit that publicly. That Lombardi does so shows me that he is constantly learning and building his skill as a coordinator and that he is committed to getting it right.
              I think it is just the opposite--Lombardi has demonstrated that he is never learning. He makes the same mistakes over and over and over again and seems incapable of correcting them even if he does acknowledge them.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I think the decision not to kick the ball cost the Bills nothing short of a Super Bowl victory. They were the best team in last year's playoffs.
                Agree. They were the best team last year and may be better this year but to allow a team to get into a position to score with 13 seconds left was mind boggling

Comment

• chris9341
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

I have never wanted a coach fired or let go more then Joe Lombardi. The offense he is running is not working. Go ask Lions fans how they feel abut him. But i don't put all the blame on him. Coach Staley is the one who hired him. And unless the Chargers make the playoffs this year and win atleast 1 game then joe needs to go.

Comment

• BearWithJetpack
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

Our red zone offense is like smashing your face into a brick wall. Again. And again. And again. And then field goal.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by BearWithJetpack View Post
                      Our red zone offense is like smashing your face into a brick wall. Again. And again. And again. And then field goal.
                      And then the win.

Comment

• Bolts&noles
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by BearWithJetpack View Post
                        Hopkins late game interview is priceless.
                        literally

It's like" these days of are lives" or wwe.
                        the NFL is a Entertainment business.
                        Redzone offense is predictable.
                        The whole game is like smashing your face into a brickwall.
                        they won though so that should keep us coming back.

PS glad they beat the broncos because of have alot of bronco friends that would agree with me now that the games are controlled by Vegas....

Easy to say when you lose but after a win people listen

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2020
                          • Send PM

Staley needs the cahones to do what he did with JC Jackson today, and with Darius Swinton last year. Get rid off Lombardi because he will cost Staley his job, and also get rid off Renaldo Hill. Neither of these two are competent coordinators, they are at best position coaches. Promote Shane Day to OC since we cant get Shane Steichen back, and bring in Vic Fangio for DC to challenge Staley and his concepts, and allow him to be more preoccupied with overall head coaching duties.

Comment

Working...
                          X