• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

There will be a lot of factors that come into play between now and then.

We will be playing more refined football.

I am frankly bewildered that seasoned football fans do not have a better feel for what is actually going on.

It's a race to see who amongst us can be the most hyperbolic in their negativity.
    Honestly, I don't think it's a race or a competition...it's just that a lot of us are frustrated to see a team with the talent level the Bolts have, and we usually underachieve week after week...you have to blame most of it on coaching...

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2022
      • White Rock, BC Canada
      • Send PM

Getting back to the Cleveland game here are some comments from Lombardi when addressing Keenan Allen's comments and all the media attention on Staley...

On Friday, offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi expressed regret over the fourth-down playcall.

"I wish I had that call back," Lombardi said, adding later in regard to the decision to go for it on fourth down, "I just felt guilty because I felt like I could have made a better play-call and everyone would have thought it was the smartest decision ever."

so my question is....Is it a problem that our OC is regularly apologizing or recognizing that he could have made better calls?

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post
        so my question is....Is it a problem that our OC is regularly apologizing or recognizing that he could have made better calls?
        I find it refreshing that an coordinator or coach will admit when they've made a mistake, or could've made a better decision. Most will never admit that publicly. That Lombardi does so shows me that he is constantly learning and building his skill as a coordinator and that he is committed to getting it right.

Comment

• Air Coryell
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2021
          • Carlsbad, CA
          • Teacher, Coach, CFO
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
          I find it refreshing that an coordinator or coach will admit when they've made a mistake, or could've made a better decision. Most will never admit that publicly. That Lombardi does so shows me that he is constantly learning and building his skill as a coordinator and that he is committed to getting it right.
          Joe is Joe. He is not a major problem. Their was no need to change the offense from 2020, and therefore hire Joe. The overwhelming problem lies with our defense and therefore Staley.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Getting back to the Cleveland game here are some comments from Lombardi when addressing Keenan Allen's comments and all the media attention on Staley...

On Friday, offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi expressed regret over the fourth-down playcall.

"I wish I had that call back," Lombardi said, adding later in regard to the decision to go for it on fourth down, "I just felt guilty because I felt like I could have made a better play-call and everyone would have thought it was the smartest decision ever."

Also, now we know it was Lombo, and not Staley that made the call to go for it on 4th and 2...

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Lombo said,

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              "I wish I had that call back," Lombardi said...
              Pretty clear Lombo, and not Staley made the call...

Comment

• Classic
                Hall Of Fame
                • Dec 2014
                • Send PM

Never once heard McVay do this or Shanahan. Come to think of it I've never heard a OC say this before.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post

Joe is Joe. He is not a major problem. Their was no need to change the offense from 2020, and therefore hire Joe. The overwhelming problem lies with our defense and therefore Staley.
                  I have said before that I was hoping Steichen would be retained as the OC after the firing of Lynn. Steichen played a major role in Herb's success as a rookie and felt that continuity was going to be important. I still believe that, look at what Steichen is getting done in Philly with Hurts. Steichen could be a hot HC candidate of the Philly goes deep into the playoffs this season. But Lombardi stepped in and helped Herb become even better in his 2nd season, finishing with more passing yards than any other QB save the GOAT. And Herb is again at the top of the league in passing this season, without his best WR and his All Pro LT, and while nursing a rib injury. Lombardi has been very good for Herbert.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

First and foremost, it is the HC that decides to go for it. A better call would of helped sure but the decision to go i didnt like.

Comment

• SBbound
                      Casual fanatic
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Merced/San Diego
                      • Send PM

No, it's a good thing.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Lombo said,

Wrong again. Staley made the call to go for it. Playcall, Lombo.

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Send PM

Lombo said,

They way it works is the HC makes the decision to go for it, then it's up to the play caller to come up with the right play. I opined earlier that I didn't like Lombardi's call on that play. He was thinking he should get it to his best playmaker - Mike Will - on a bang-bang short pass play. But it was predictable. The Browns' defense knew was expecting it. I would've been less predictable than Lombardi on that situation. I would've faked a handoff to Ekeler, then faked a throw to MW, then hit Ekeler on the wheel route. The play would not have been as bang-bang as the play he called, but it would have put the defense off balance, not what they were expecting. But I appreciate Lombardi admitting he could've made a better play call there. It shows he is able to learn from his mistakes and improve, and it increases my confidence in him.

Comment

Working...
                          X