• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Riverwalk
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I’ve played with a lot of drummers in many different bands - all rock sub-genres. Like most here - I Listened to the history of rock and know of all the greats mentioned in detail. A lot of this is personal taste - mine is that some of the “HOF” drummers that are so mentioned and skilled actually add too much and stick out too much. Uber talented and not a knock but i am near the camp you describe - drums are not a lead instrument and when drums become a lead instrument, i get either bored or annoyed by them. So for me, I’ll take a Jon Bonham over a Neil Pert every day of week. But thats just me.

great drummers do more that just hold it down. Bonham did much more than keep time, he took the band and their music places at times, he captured different moods, vibes, emotions thru his drumming designs. I’ve played with some boring boom-tap guys that had no expressive feel of the art, no sense of inflection or anticipatory syncopation. when i do play with a guy who’s at that next level - its just a joy to feel that huge step up from metronome guy to percussion artist who still stays in the lane of foundational undertow and not try to be a lead instrument.

Merry Christmas, Everyone!
    I agree. Lombardi sucks.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I'm 100% sure Cmplxgal's answer would be much more in depth (complex) than many. I always enjoy Cmplxgal's posts. Much better analysis than "Let's roll our cracked ribs franchise QB out of the pocket more" or "let's toss the ball up to our injury-prone WR and let him make another body-twisting, acrobatic catch every other play"...

Congrats to the First Ballot Hall of Famers! 97% & 92%! Chicks might dig the long ball, but the HOF digs CY Young winners! But this is by far on the my favor...

"Have you guys seen T-Billy...?"
      Lol,...I agree. Some not so good ideas go around in here. Most here have no idea how hard it must have been for Herbert to play with that injury in the beginning. I'm sure he still isn't 100% with those ribs but is moving way better.
      For me starting Herbert over our backups even for a couple games means we need better ones,....which we knew already, but a big confirmation. If we had Minshew as a backup, he would of played.

Herbert couldn't even run at all before and I'm sure some throws, if not most hurt him as well but Lombardi gets criticized for the short passes when also having Keenan and MW out.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

I agree. Lombardi sucks.
        There was a guy back when I was a teenager running amok in the mesas and canyons of San Diego, kegger parties and backyard bands every week. Every gig he’d show up with his harmonica and start “entertaining” everyone whenever we weren’t playing. He sucked.

I wouldn’t let Lombardi play harmonica in my band, he can’t hold a note.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Riverwalk
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

There was a guy back when I was a teenager running amok in the mesas and canyons of San Diego, kegger parties and backyard bands every week. Every gig he’d show up with his harmonica and start “entertaining” everyone whenever we weren’t playing. He sucked.

I wouldn’t let Lombardi play harmonica in my band, he can’t hold a note.
          The harmonica guy sounds like a legend. Probably more remembered than the bands he crashed.

But Lombardi seems like the opposite of an imaginative “wild” guy.

instead, he seems like a guy that just copies other coaches plays, lacks imagination, and how to exploit defenses on the fly.

otherwise, he wouldn’t always come out flat in the 3rd quarter after watching the opponents defense for a half.

Comment

• northerner
            Charger fan since '79
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

my biggest complaints about Lombardi:

1. receivers can't get open for a whole quarter (or even half) at a time. is this the routes or our receivers can't get separation? it seems like Herbert goes through multiple reads until he finally gets sacked.

2. sort of a tangent to #1 - when our offense seems to be stuck in the mud, there is never the "change up" play to try to jump start a drive. there was the one wild cat looking play in the second half against Miami that worked out pretty well, but that is the only play that i can remember.

i don't know if Herbert rolling out more against Tenn was him improvising or design roll-outs by Lombo, but it seemed to work.

Comment

• FoutsFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Birmingham AL
              • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

1. receivers can't get open for a whole quarter (or even half) at a time. is this the routes or our receivers can't get separation? it seems like Herbert goes through multiple reads until he finally gets sacked.

2. sort of a tangent to #1 - when our offense seems to be stuck in the mud, there is never the "change up" play to try to jump start a drive. there was the one wild cat looking play in the second half against Miami that worked out pretty well, but that is the only play that i can remember.

i don't know if Herbert rolling out more against Tenn was him improvising or design roll-outs by Lombo, but it seemed to work.
              he usually calls a trick play at the worst possible time and it blows up in our faces. He has roughly 2 screen plays in his playbook and neither one of them work worth a damn.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

The key to our future offensive success is to run the Lombardi offense better and more thoroughly. Keep at it. All-22 is your friend.
                Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I'm 100% sure Cmplxgal's answer would be much more in depth (complex) than many. I always enjoy Cmplxgal's posts. Much better analysis than "Let's roll our cracked ribs franchise QB out of the pocket more" or "let's toss the ball up to our injury-prone WR and let him make another body-twisting, acrobatic catch every other play"...

Congrats to the First Ballot Hall of Famers! 97% & 92%! Chicks might dig the long ball, but the HOF digs CY Young winners! But this is by far on the my favor...

"Have you guys seen T-Billy...?"
                  Pretty certain I heard Brandon Staley recently say they need to get Herbert outside of the pocket more.
                  Are you questioning the head coach Boltnut?

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                    The key to our future offensive success is to run the Lombardi offense better and more thoroughly. Keep at it. All-22 is your friend.
                    Remember before the season all the talk about offense was Herbert for the first time in his pro and college career was going to have the same OC and how that would bear more fruit. It’s time for the fruit to ripen

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

This is almost worth a new thread: biggest complaints about Joe Lombardi.
                      For some reason, others would feel a need to go there and downplay each complaint.

A big complaint of mine is this offense setting up Herbert with 3rd and 3s all day long;
                      I'd certainly rather have Burrow throw the short 4 yard out for the first.

And sometimes, when Staley is sick of another 3 and out, going for it on 4rth down deep in Charger territory.

How did not being able to convert on 3rd down in the 2nd half suddenly become the sign of a ball control offense?

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Remember before the season all the talk about offense was Herbert for the first time in his pro and college career was going to have the same OC and how that would bear more fruit. It’s time for the fruit to ripen
                        I don't remember any takes last summer on this being a ball control offense.

Controlling the ball and then putting up 7 is fine;
                        not scoring points, but flipping field position and chewing up the clock wasn't a talking point of anyone.

The notion of this being a new era of football, and then essentially employing different means to old strategies is humoring few here.

Its as if some here are repackaging an old item that nobody wanted, trying to give it new life.
                        :exparrot:

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Pretty certain I heard Brandon Staley recently say they need to get Herbert outside of the pocket more.
                          Are you questioning the head coach Boltnut?
                          Absolutely not. Now that he's healing, I'm all for it! But I wouldn't over do it... if they rely too much on that, DC's will dial up something special for Mr. Herbert. But "more"....? Sure.
                          Better yet... get Slater back, move Salyer to LG, keep Linsley healthy, let Zion develop, and get Pip healthy... then you can do whatever you want. Maybe even get a TE and RB into the pattern...

Comment

Working...
                          X