• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BayAreaBoltz
    Chargers Hall of Fame
    • Sep 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

When you can name another team whose QB has broken ribs cartilage, missing his top WRs, his all pro LT, missing his RT half the time, his all pro OC at times and his TE....get back to us.
    I know a decent team in the NFC that's missing their starting QB, AND their 2nd string QB, and are currently starting their 3rd string QB, Mr. Irrelevant.

I wonder what our record would be with our main guys healthy and trotting out Easton Stick under Joe Lombo. The 49ers have also missed starting WR Deebo Samuel (4 games), starting RB Elijah Mitchell (12 games), and starting TE George Kittle (2 games).

Having said that, I agree that the injuries on the OL are the biggest difference between us and the 49ers (being able to run a full playbook). But, again, they are somehow successful with the last pick in the draft and missing a few pieces. Some of that is coaching.

Comment

• Riverwalk
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

I know a decent team in the NFC that's missing their starting QB, AND their 2nd string QB, and are currently starting their 3rd string QB, Mr. Irrelevant.

I wonder what our record would be with our main guys healthy and trotting out Easton Stick under Joe Lombo. The 49ers have also missed starting WR Deebo Samuel (4 games), starting RB Elijah Mitchell (12 games), and starting TE George Kittle (2 games).

Having said that, I agree that the injuries on the OL are the biggest difference between us and the 49ers (being able to run a full playbook). But, again, they are somehow successful with the last pick in the draft and missing a few pieces. Some of that is coaching.
      Mr Irrelevant > Herbert

Comment

• LinksterAC
        San Diego Chargers Fan
        • Sep 2022
        • San Diego County
        • Send PM

When you can name another team whose QB has broken ribs cartilage, missing his top WRs, his all pro LT, missing his RT half the time, his all pro OC at times and his TE....get back to us.
        They’re still bad even when those guys are back, though.

And I’ve seen depleted offenses do much better than this. Heck, in the 2007 playoffs Billy freaking Volek led the Tomlinson-less Chargers to victory over Indy in Indy.

In 2010, with the Chargers’ best receivers injured early in the season, Rivers still put up all-pro numbers.

You can’t be this bad this consistently with Herbert as your QB.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2022
          • White Rock, BC Canada
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...using the old "Injury Card" to try to rescue Lombo is getting old...EVERY team in the NFL has to deal with injuries...
          Yes that narrative is getting old. No question the Chargers had ruthless injuries to key players this season ..but are mostly healthy now. National media recognizes the Chrgers overcame injuries this year, but only to a point....many teams have injuries to deal with not just the Chargers

What team has a totally healthy roster after 17 NFL games???? Very few o lines make it fully in tact. Bengals just lost Collins

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2022
            • White Rock, BC Canada
            • Send PM

49ers also had a huge chunk of their defence injured the first half of the season

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Yes that narrative is getting old. No question the Chargers had ruthless injuries to key players this season ..but are mostly healthy now. National media recognizes the Chrgers overcame injuries this year, but only to a point....many teams have injuries to deal with not just the Chargers

What team has a totally healthy roster after 17 NFL games???? Very few o lines make it fully in tact. Bengals just lost Collins
              True but we had the most injuries and to our top players.

We all knew our depth on the OL was a big weak spot and it showed. Pair that with Herberts injured ribs and it was brutal.

OL depth has to be a bigger priority in the off-season. Not saying sign vets that cost but just need to get some better players. Sarrell was shit. I don't think Storms even as bad as him.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

A lot of it is coaching. Shanahan does a really good job and has been for a several years. He and McVay are two of the brightest young guys in the game. Can Staley join them?

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2022
                  • White Rock, BC Canada
                  • Send PM

We all knew our depth on the OL was a big weak spot and it showed. Pair that with Herberts injured ribs and it was brutal.

OL depth has to be a bigger priority in the off-season. Not saying sign vets that cost but just need to get some better players. Sarrell was shit. I don't think Storms even as bad as him.
                  No question the injuries this year and all to studs was ridiculous. I have never seen anything like it, even by Charger standards.

But the offence has enough pieces back now they need to be playing better. The defence is stepping up without Bosa and James.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by LinksterAC View Post

They’re still bad even when those guys are back, though.

And I’ve seen depleted offenses do much better than this. Heck, in the 2007 playoffs Billy freaking Volek led the Tomlinson-less Chargers to victory over Indy in Indy.

In 2010, with the Chargers’ best receivers injured early in the season, Rivers still put up all-pro numbers.

You can’t be this bad this consistently with Herbert as your QB.
                    I forget, where does the team display those trophies?
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

I think a top-caliber speed receiver is top priority. Not a Guyton that can run fast but doesn’t get quick separation and drops balls at too high a rate. I mean a real top shelf #1 sub-4.4 sticky fingered speed receiver with the quick moves/skill to get open fast from the slot AND lift the lid off deep. Need to do both to be effective and change the equation. Herbie deserves that guy, perfect compliment KA, MW and JP. Until then, defenses can play a cover 2 that is not as deep as what a speed receiver would require, it allows the other zones to also get tighter to the LOS, clamps everything down into a narrower window while still protecting for over the top. (Random theory of defense tharr, feel free to shred it apart - I don’t watch All-22s maybe defenses don’t do that at all to us lol )

get Herbie a legit #1 TE too. . Everett is decent but second tier.

Sarrell was a rookie not ready to start in the NFL. He made a lot of good plays but was inconsistent and got beat too often, I saw glimmers he could develop into a good backup. Jaimes is Feeney 2.0, its been too long waiting for that dude, he is as horrible this year as he was 2 seasons ago as a rookie. Just didn’t make the jump in class we thought.
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
                        Chargers Hall of Fame
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Send PM

One of the many things that frustrate me about Joe Lombardi is his seeming fetish with getting to third and short. He seems to LIVE for it.

While it's always better to have third and short compared to third and long, it's even MORE wonderful to not get to third down (and simply convert on 1st and 2nd downs).

Right now the team with the most 3rd downs in the league is our very own Los Angeles Chargers (230). The next closest team is the Bucs (218) whose offense has been a dud this year followed by the Cardinals (212 ), Jets (211), Browns (208), Broncos (206), Steelers (205), and Colts (203).

Those teams aren't exactly the ones you think of when it comes to dynamic offenses this season. (Dolphins have the least 3rd downs and the Chiefs have the 4th least).

Obviously there are other factors and this isn't a one-to-one correlation. But it's become tedious and frustrating to watch every drive start with a short run of 2 or less yards followed by a short pass or dump off for 4 yards leaving us with another 3rd down. That puts a lot of pressure on the offense to have every series of downs go the entire 3 downs. I feel like we lead the league in 3-and-outs (can anyone find the stat?).

And, while I'm at it, where are our passing TDs? Especially now that our weapons are back? We sit at 16th(!!!!) in the league in passing TDs. And we have Justin Herbert!! The top teams with passing TDs? Chiefs. Bengals. Bills. Sigh. No wonder those QBs get the accolades (and the wins).

Our offense is stale, predictable, and struggling. And I think I know who to blame.
                        Last edited by BayAreaBoltz; 12-29-2022, 06:33 PM.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Like Popper wrote today...if the Chargers offence, now fully healthy, led by Justin Herbert, stagnates and ends up being the reason they get bounced in the playoffs, Staley will have to look very hard at OC this off season not ony for the sake of the team but his own coaching career.

And we were going beserk wondering why they were trotting Storm Norton out there and pretending that he was improving.
                          Now, Storm ain't seeing the field even if the entire Oline goes down.

.................................................. .................................................. ...................................:below:
                          I think Staley just wanted to piss us off, feigning that the battle for the RT position was neck & neck for so long this preseason.

Comment

Working...
                          X