• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

Those on the "pro-Lombo" defense team always cite injuries as a reason for his ineptitude (3rd quarter shutouts, three-and-outs in high pressure situations, simple routes/curls just before the sticks, no creativity in the run game or the passing routes, not throwing INTO the endzone in goal-to-go situations, etc.) this year.

Yet, we just played a team more injured than ours and couldn't score beyond (really) two drives all game.

It's sickening.
    Yep. The Pro-Lombo folks are like the people on the Titanic watching it go down, but in denial that it will sink.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2022
      • White Rock, BC Canada
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
      Once again, dropped passes, swing/intermediate pass fails, and ill advised throws were factors.

TEN DBs made some plays vs our receivers. Byard is still good. Simmons too.

Pipkins is back. Slater too, soon. Linsley will stabilize the OL, run and pass. Ekeler/Kelley averaged almost 4 YPC.

Ability to throw long is most definitely affected by protection issues. I see an acute need for an Inline TE.

Take off your Lombardi hating blinders. We are improving, and working to tighten it up, left side OL..

A little more consistency, a little more mistake free offensive football and we are there. Of course Keenan would want to make a clean catch there, and not leave it up to the officials.
      A big problem I have is that this Lombardi offence seems ok in being in 3rd down way too often. A first down run, a 2nd down 4 yard pass to leave 3rd and short. Rinse and repeat. This is what frustrates people.

But what i hate even more is on 3rd down, throwing dumb little passes short of the first down marker.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Did not-Vince fail his math classes? On 3rd and 8, 6 is not greater than or equal than 8. 7 is not greater than or equal to 8. 8 is greater than or equal to 8.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2022
          • White Rock, BC Canada
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
          Always have to have someone to hate....Head Coach, Coordinator, Owner's son, Right Tackle....we just need it.

I don't hate Lombardi. What I see is mixed results. I think Herbert grew under him, but did he grow enough? I think the offense has some good concepts, but does it really fit Herbert like Staley said it would when he got hired? All in all, I am sure Telesco sees exactly what we see....the offense has underperformed under Staley/Lombardi. The only factor is do they want Herbert to learn another new offense with another new coordinator and how does Herbert feel about this offense/play calling/Lombardi? I think he has shown the capacity to learn. But they might not want to mess up the dynamic if it is Herbert taking the conservative route vs Lombardi making him take it.

TG
          You make the key point, beyond whether this years offence is functional.

The main thing is ....are the Chargers maximizing their best asset, a freakishly talented franchise QB??? And it is not just Chargers fans on this board questioning it. You cannot turn on NFL network, ESPN, or whatever national football podcast you listen to without anaylists pointing out how this conservative offence is handcuffing Justin Herbert and making them easier to defend then need be.

Why do we want to accept mediocre? This franchise received its biggest gift in history in the 2020 draft. You couldnt ask for a more complete package at QB. Why not bring in one of the best offensive minds out there to really kick ass with Herbert?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

A big problem I have is that this Lombardi offence seems ok in being in 3rd down way too often. A first down run, a 2nd down 4 yard pass to leave 3rd and short. Rinse and repeat. This is what frustrates people.

But what i hate even more is on 3rd down, throwing dumb little passes short of the first down marker.
            It is noise mostly borne of a fantasy football mindset.

My take is that we are trending in the right direction, and minor adjustments, with reduced mistakes plus better play are coming soon.

I have been touting this evolving Charger culture for weeks.

The results will speak for themselves.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
              Chargers Hall of Fame
              • Sep 2019
              • Send PM

This is correct. I mean, I'd hate to really believe they're okay with it. But it sure seems that way with how rare it is to see a designed Charger play on 1st down gain 8+ yards.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

This is correct. I mean, I'd hate to really believe they're okay with it. But it sure seems that way with how rare it is to see a designed Charger play on 1st down gain 8+ yards.
                Agreed. the third down passes short of the sticks - terrible play calls

It was tricky as yesterday against the Titans of Tennessee, running the ball worked early. But as the game went on, it didn't. And he still called first down running plays
                And that end around - terrible. As those only work if you have established something to get the defense fooled.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                  Pretty much retired......
                  • Sep 2018
                  • JoJa
                  • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                  • Send PM

First thing for me from yesterday was that the flat seemed to be open all the time. The commentators even mentioned it, yet we did not exploit it early nor often enough IMHO. I mean if they are going to give you 4 - 8 yards per play then beat that horse until it's dead. AND we just might pop one like Henry did.

Secondly, I surmise that Lombardi thinks that by throwing it 1 - 2 yards short of the sticks that his receiver will be open and that an NFL player should be able to get 1 or 2 YAC. Not that I support it but since we do it all dammed game long, there has to be a mindset.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                    Pretty much retired......
                    • Sep 2018
                    • JoJa
                    • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Agreed. the third down passes short of the sticks - terrible play calls

It was tricky as yesterday against the Titans of Tennessee, running the ball worked early. But as the game went on, it didn't. And he still called first down running plays
                    And that end around - terrible. As those only work if you have established something to get the defense fooled.
                    Or you have an OL that can keep it from getting blown up in the bacfield.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2022
                      • White Rock, BC Canada
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

It is noise mostly borne of a fantasy football mindset.

My take is that we are trending in the right direction, and minor adjustments, with reduced mistakes plus better play are coming soon.

I have been touting this evolving Charger culture for weeks.

The results will speak for themselves.
                      Oh the culture is growing and there are some good things happening, to which Brandon Staley deserves credit. But culture wont change bad play calling. Fortunately Staley noted yesterday the offence needs to be better.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Oh the culture is growing and there are some good things happening, to which Brandon Staley deserves credit. But culture wont change bad play calling. Fortunately Staley noted yesterday the offence needs to be better.
                        Ok, I am gonna get specific here. As stated a while ago, getting Linsley healthy is the key. The line calls are on the money.

Now Pipkins is back. We chip towards Salyer. The common snaps are adding up.

As early in the season, (and as early '21 with Oday) the running game is back, to a minimum acceptable level. ~4 YPC opens up a lot of possibilities going forward.

Next up, the excellent IDL tandem of DeForest Buckner and Grover Stewart. We've got rhythm.

:larry:

Aaand the correct answer is Neil Peart.
                        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Birmingham AL
                          • Send PM

Same with the redzone. Throw into the endzone, stop throwing 4 yards behind the goal line and hoping the player gets in.

Comment

Working...
                          X