Jaguars @ Chargers Pregame Thread (Week 3)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SK21209 View Post
    Ben Solak from The Ringer was talking about how last season, we started off with very conservative play calling on 1st down in the first few games but ultimately fixed that and finished as one of the top offenses. Through two games this season, it looks like we’ve reverted back.

I watch quite a bit of Saints football since my wife and the in-laws are all big Saints fans. Lombardi was the QB coach there and as Brees got older, Payton predicated that offense on balance, precision and tempo. Death by a thousand cuts, which was the best way toutilize Brees’s all-time accuracy and processing ability despite his declining physical tools. It feels like Lombardi is taking that same approach to a QB in Herbert who is the antithesis of late-career Brees from a physical standpoint. They are similar in their ability to quickly process reads and make decisions like a machine, but Herbert is arguably the most physically gifted QB in the league aside from Allen. In the NBA, you can pretty much scheme your way to a good regular season offense to avoid taxing your stars too much during the long season, but in the playoffs you need to play to the strengths of your transcendent players. I see the same issue with Lombardi’s offense. We’ll put up good numbers because Herbert and our skill position guys are that good, but I don’t think we’re maximizing Herbert’s skills and we’ll need to do so to beat the best teams when it matters.
    Good analysis there, SK. Lombo is handcuffing Herbie...Lombo's offense is good enough usually to beat the poor or mediocre teams, but not usually good enough to beat the very good or elite teams...

Comment

• QSmokey
      Guardedly Optimistic
      • Jun 2013
      • Kuna, Idaho
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
      Saying we don't have the horses for the deep game, I'm not sure I'd agree.

We don't have a Tyreek guy BUT....two of those long balls he caught and scored on and was wide open against the Ravens, they didn't cover him. He ran right by the CB and was left wide open.

Even Keenan can do that and be wide open if they just let him go. Those were actually head scratchers of wtf coverage they were trying to have.

I believe Herm Edwards coined it Cover Who?
      I dunno, Jolt...this team seems built around the short-to-medium game. Like I said in my reply to chain, above, KA/MW/Palmer...not gonna stretch the field. Those are our 3 top guys. Carter has shown an ability to get open deeper but, again, not the type of player that's gonna run away from defenders using straight-line speed. All IMO, of course. Guyton is our only true deep threat, and he is WR #4, so his impact, by definition, is going to be limited.

Comment

• OG619FrightninLightnin
        Let's do this!
        • Aug 2022
        • Raleigh N. Carolina
        • Send PM

I must have stumbled into the Fire Lambo thread

Comment

• electricgold
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

I dunno, Jolt...this team seems built around the short-to-medium game. Like I said in my reply to chain, above, KA/MW/Palmer...not gonna stretch the field. Those are our 3 top guys. Carter has shown an ability to get open deeper but, again, not the type of player that's gonna run away from defenders using straight-line speed. All IMO, of course. Guyton is our only true deep threat, and he is WR #4, so his impact, by definition, is going to be limited.
          I just think it comes down to that everyone sees Herbert & Co. sort of like having the potential of an offense like "The greatest show on turf" and we are running sort of like everyone is saying a conservative offense. Herbert is a gunslinger among other things like the KC QB, We just haven't been using the deep game too often and that is one of our QB's strength. Last season we did at times, and I'm thinking this will be in play as the season progresses. When teams start playing up on the dip and dunks, we'll start going deep, maybe this next game?

I disagree tho that this Offense can't beat or win against the better teams in the league! When our D is playing well coupled with our Oline and Running game we can beat any team in the league.

We have great deep threat WR's on this team. Carter, Guyton, Williams because of his height, are all as good as it gets. Ask Herbert.

PS Jerry Rice was always a deep threat on every play and it had nothing to do with his speed.

Comment

• electricgold
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2020
            • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Not only that but have him play out of the shot gun. Anyone gets close and toss it out of bounds. LOL!
            Time for our Oline to man up once and for all and stop allowing these teams to hit Herbert in this manner! Geesh just establish yourselves as a tough group and follow what Zion and Slater are doing and do your job!

Comment

• AK47
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Time for our Oline to man up once and for all and stop allowing these teams to hit Herbert in this manner! Geesh just establish yourselves as a tough group and follow what Zion and Slater are doing and do your job!
              The more we hit the opposing QB the faster Herbs ribs heal. Via the power of Mojo

Comment

• CivilBolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2019
                • Send PM

I just checked and Carter is a 4.44 guy so he has the ability to break away if hit in stride. Guyton is a 4.39 so they are about the same. Carter seems to be more sure handed.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

I just checked and Carter is a 4.44 guy so he has the ability to break away if hit in stride. Guyton is a 4.39 so they are about the same. Carter seems to be more sure handed.
                  Carter is that speed guy everybody has lamenting not having since T-Billy was cut last year, only better.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by TTThunder View Post

+1
                    +2

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Palmer and Mike Williams are fast enough. You don't need a 4.3 guy to have a deep game.
                      It don't matter how fast you are if the cornerback don't cover you and just let you go and the safety doesn't move your way either and he was left alone in those plays.....somehow.

Tyreek in space , his speed there does create yards by running away from people. That's the biggest difference imo.
                      Quick slants with any space at all can be a big gain or can go all the way. Hill plays fast as well, so does Waddle.

Some guys with good speed don't play fast. Guyton don't really play fast and is just good for the occasional go route but in space you don't really see his 4.38 speed.

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Palmer and Mike Williams are fast enough. You don't need a 4.3 guy to have a deep game.
                        It don't matter how fast you are if the cornerback don't cover you and just let you go and the safety doesn't move your way either and he was left alone in those plays.....somehow.

Tyreek in space , his speed there does create yards by running away from people. That's the biggest difference imo.
                        Quick slants with any space at all can be a big gain or can go all the way.

Tyreek has also showed pretty good hands over his career as well.
                        He's a beast. Strong hands, fights for contested balls and usually wins, great jumping ability and then there's the speed.

Comment

• jubei
                          Vagabond Ninja
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

He's a beast. Strong hands, fights for contested balls and usually wins, great jumping ability and then there's the speed.
                          and if he cant beat you that way he can break your arm. all kidding aside it's funny to watch his "more accurate" QB try and heave him a go route.

Comment

Working...
                          X