Jaguars @ Chargers Pregame Thread (Week 3)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jubei
    Vagabond Ninja
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post
    I'm telling you they need to coach Herbert up on using his legs. Mahomes, Allen all use their legs to extend plays. He also drops dimes when gets outside. To me this is where our offense is getting hamstrung. I'd like to see an Allen, Herbert, Mahomes 40 time right now.

If that was my one wish for this offense is to have Herbert to breakout of the pocket 20 or 30% more plays. Backyard style football is what these QB's are playing now days. Let JH play!
    as a QB 40 times dont matter too much IMO, it's more about being slippery. Mahomes is no track star but he is light on his feet and can move around very nicely making linemen miss. Moves-wise I think Mahomes is much better than Allen whereas Allen is much stronger.
    Having said this I DO wish they would roll Herbert out more often to stress the D more.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

war tesla GIF

Herbert’s uniform on Sunday. He’ll be there and ready to play. Look for the extra short passing game.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• gzubeck
        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
        • Jan 2019
        • Tucson, AZ
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
        war tesla GIF

Herbert’s uniform on Sunday. He’ll be there and ready to play. Look for the extra short passing game.
        Not only that but have him play out of the shot gun. Anyone gets close and toss it out of bounds. LOL!
        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by richpjr View Post

And they lost the Super Bowl - so who cares that that ran up the score on teams? Again, the Giants didn't even win their division and won the Super Bowl. Twice.
          The point is that the 2007 Patriots put teams away, which is what we need to start doing. Putting teams away is how a team avoids losing games in which the other team is allowed to come back and win. Lombardi is killing us in that respect because he is calling plays to not put the opponent away when he has the chance to do so. Nothing could be clearer.

And I would take 18 wins in a row starting right now just like the 20007 Patriots had as that would make us Super Bowl champions. I am not sure why you have a problem with either the concept of putting teams away or with winning the Super Bowl.

Comment

• Originally posted by electricgold View Post

What I think they may be trying to say is..... AT THIS TIME! Lombardi and Staley are running the offense with the "Taking what the Defense gives us" & what certain fans want to see if I'm reading it correctly is, call plays with deep routes, and use Herbert's talent to make the big play or the deep outs at certain points in the game as opposed to throw a screen because the D is giving us that, now run this play because the D is giving us that in a methodical why.
            No, the play calling is worse than you are stating. Defenses are rolling up on us and Lombardi is still calling plays with all or very nearly all short routes. In other words, Lombardi is refusing to take advantage of what defenses are giving us and is calling plays that opposing defenses seem prepared to stop. Herbert is saving the offense by completing passes at a rate of 5.5% above expected value (per Next Gen stats) and we still are only scoring 24 points per game despite having played one bad defense and one mediocre at best defense and the offense having benefited from a bunch of turnovers and defensive stops.

This year, we are down 3-4% in our passing percentage when a slight increase over last year's rate would have been a better way to go. At times, it is like watching the second coming of Anthony Lynn with all of the "run run" fails. Since the "run run" combination fails to net us a first down just about every time we resort to that approach, just maybe we ought to try something else--only not a three yard sideline pass to Palmer (again, 12 targets, 35 receiving yards--just awful).

IMO, we need to run deeper routes because they are available and because doing so will help by 1) allowing us some bigger plays and drives that require fewer first downs, 2) clearing out the short passing area and actually opening up the short passing game for Allen, 3) clearing out the short passing area and opening up delayed dump off passes to Ekeler, and 4) getting some defenders out of the box, which should help the running game.

The problem is that we are leaving a whole bunch of points on the field so far this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post
              First I don't think any of you had that game as a W. If you did, then objective reality isn't your thing.

That L has me even more optimistic. We need a blow out this week. Jags are good on D. We have a damn good offense to put them down.

As for Lombo's offense. It just feels clunky. I really feel that some coach or coaching philosophy. Open up the play book not like that stupid play last week. What was that anyway? ;A double lateral? Ugliest play I've seen in a long time.
              Are you discussing the KC game? We were and are the better team. We controlled the game and should have won easily but for Lombardi's poor play calling and a couple of very bad calls by the refs on turnovers by Mahomes. If we were not the clearly better team, then the loss would not piss me off as much as it does. The loss was stupid and totally unnecessary.

We cannot control the poor officiating, but the team can fix the lame play calling that is killing the offense this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                Saying we don't have the horses for the deep game, im not sure I'd agree.

We don't have a Tyreek guy BUT....two of those long balls he caught and scored on and was wide open against the Ravens, they didn't cover him. He ran right by the CB and was left wide open.

Even Keenan can do that and be wide open if they just let him go. Those were actually head scratchers of wtf coverage they were trying to have.

I believe Herm Edwards coined it Cover Who?
                People not being able to cover Hill is not exactly a new thing. He not only created his TDs, but he also created the game winner to Waddle by forcing BAL to double him with the exact defender that would have defended the area where the game winning pass to Waddle was thrown. The tremendous effect Tyreek Hill has on opposing defenses is striking.

Comment

• Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Here's a reminder for you - the offense started slow last season too. After the first two games they started cooking. Hang in there, better days are coming.
                  Why does the coaching need two games to warm up? You are discussing this as if it were a player performance issue when the play calling problems are as plain as day.

Herbert is 5.5% above his expected completion percentage per Next Gen stats. He is overperforming and the offense is still failing despite having lots of talented players and benefitting from lots of turnovers and defensive stops.

Lombardi has already admitted that he was too conservative in his play calling in the first game and the stats for the second game revealed almost a complete absence of medium and deep passes on 48 attempts as well as an extremely shallow average route depth for our receivers. Herbert is in the bottom 5 in intended air yards per attempt, so you have all of the stats telling the same story.

Defenses are rolling up on us. The Warner video showed that.

Adjustments need to be made immediately from the same issues we had last year. It is almost as if Lombardi completely forgot what happened last year that led to him being criticized by the national sports media and how when he opened up the offense, it became far more productive.

Herbert is a stud. We do not need to call plays for him as if he were some sort of game manager QB. That is wasting Herbert's vast talent.

Comment

• SK21209
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2020
                    • San Diego
                    • Send PM

Ben Solak from The Ringer was talking about how last season, we started off with very conservative play calling on 1st down in the first few games but ultimately fixed that and finished as one of the top offenses. Through two games this season, it looks like we’ve reverted back.

I watch quite a bit of Saints football since my wife and the in-laws are all big Saints fans. Lombardi was the QB coach there and as Brees got older, Payton predicated that offense on balance, precision and tempo. Death by a thousand cuts, which was the best way toutilize Brees’s all-time accuracy and processing ability despite his declining physical tools. It feels like Lombardi is taking that same approach to a QB in Herbert who is the antithesis of late-career Brees from a physical standpoint. They are similar in their ability to quickly process reads and make decisions like a machine, but Herbert is arguably the most physically gifted QB in the league aside from Allen. In the NBA, you can pretty much scheme your way to a good regular season offense to avoid taxing your stars too much during the long season, but in the playoffs you need to play to the strengths of your transcendent players. I see the same issue with Lombardi’s offense. We’ll put up good numbers because Herbert and our skill position guys are that good, but I don’t think we’re maximizing Herbert’s skills and we’ll need to do so to beat the best teams when it matters.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Why does the coaching need two games to warm up? You are discussing this as if it were a player performance issue when the play calling problems are as plain as day.

Herbert is 5.5% above his expected completion percentage per Next Gen stats. He is overperforming and the offense is still failing despite having lots of talented players and benefitting from lots of turnovers and defensive stops.

Lombardi has already admitted that he was too conservative in his play calling in the first game and the stats for the second game revealed almost a complete absence of medium and deep passes on 48 attempts as well as an extremely shallow average route depth for our receivers. Herbert is in the bottom 5 in intended air yards per attempt, so you have all of the stats telling the same story.

Defenses are rolling up on us. The Warner video showed that.

Adjustments need to be made immediately from the same issues we had last year. It is almost as if Lombardi completely forgot what happened last year that led to him being criticized by the national sports media and how when he opened up the offense, it became far more productive.

Herbert is a stud. We do not need to call plays for him as if he were some sort of game manager QB. That is wasting Herbert's vast talent.
                      You wrote this same basic thing in 3 separate posts on just this one page of 9 posts. You had already said it 100 prior times in this thread. A 4th of the 9 posts on this page is you posting a closely related point you have also repeated many times. A 5th post is your love of Tyreek - another well worn posting of yours about the value of speed receivers. You’ve had enough posts on that topic to become known in these parts as Tbilly’s Agent.

5 of 9 posts on this one page are you repeating things you already posted many times? Why are you doing this to us? Do you have zero respect or caring for this TPB community? Why do you bludgeon us over and over and over like this?

This makes this place un-fun. I again beg you to stop.
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

When Doug Pederson was available, he immediately became a top coaching target of mine, namely because of what I thought he can do with a Herbert-led offense.
                        Lawrence is no Herbert, but has a similar build and skill set, so I will likely always compare that duo to ours for as long as each remain in tact.
                        scene 1 starts Sunday
                        2024: Far From Over

Comment

• TTThunder
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by SK21209 View Post
                          I don’t think we’re maximizing Herbert’s skills and we’ll need to do so to beat the best teams when it matters.
                          +1

Comment

Working...
                          X