Chargers @ Browns Game Day Thread / Post Game Reaction (Week 5)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MagicMamba88
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2019
    • Send PM

Comment

• CivilBolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post
      Absolutely fricken Hilarious!

Glad he is parked. This could have been a 10 car pile up easily.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

He looks like where's Waldo.

Maybe Staley would try to jump off a cliff as he says.

He referenced DBZ. Nice.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
          Oline-Tip of the Spear...
          • Feb 2019
          • McLean Illinois
          • Pipefitter Illinois State University
          • Send PM

First post.

Staley awesome for accountability...starts Salyer over a vet first last week, then promotes Alohi over Adderley...thats tough coaching....and it worked. He even called out JC a little for not being there yet.

However, cant defend the end of the game...if you trust your defense as you say, you punt.

Oline great.

Still cant tackle on defense.

Team isnt there yet, got the soft part of the schedule to figure it out.

When Herberts ribs heal up, he needs to start running the ball...Mahomes and Allen do it...we cant play scared if we want to put pressure on defenses.

All that said, Ill take the road win over a very physical team that is more talented than their record suggests.
          Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
            I was begging for LBs this off season and the TPB brain trust said Staley’s defense doesn’t value them. We’re paying the price
            Yup. I scratched my head at the loudly voiced TPB wisdom that modern football doesn’t need LBs. Made no sense then, or now. I thought the LBs we have would play better though.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Snap counts from the game:

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Here’s the breakdown of the thought process at the end. I do want to point out that Herbert is giving the option to change from a run play to a pass play on that third down.

Joshua Kelley was stuffed on a run on the next play, forcing the Browns to call their final timeout. Williams made a contested catch on second down to set up a third-and-3, and the clock hit the two-minute warning.

At this point, Staley said after the game, the Chargers knew they were going to go for it on fourth down unless there was “a negative play or something that gets blown up or a penalty” on third down. On that third down, the Chargers called a shotgun run to Ekeler with a “pass solution,” as Staley put it. Williams was one-on-one on the outside and ran a wheel route up the right sideline. Herbert had the option to go to Williams, but he liked the run look and handed off to Ekeler, who was stopped after gaining a little more than a yard.

The Chargers let the clock run down before Herbert and the offense set up at the line of scrimmage. The yardage to gain was listed in the play-by-play at one yard, but it was closer to two yards. Herbert tried to draw the Browns offside before Staley called a timeout as the play clock hit one second. There was 1:14 remaining.

The decision to go for it had already been made at this point. The Chargers were simply deciding on a play call during the break. Browns top corner Denzel Ward had already been ruled out for the game after entering the concussion protocol. They expected to have Williams in single coverage against rookie corner Martin Emerson Jr. with Ward sidelined, and they got it. The Chargers called a slant to Williams from the right side. Emerson defended it beautifully, disrupting the route by forcing Williams to the outside. Herbert tried to fit a throw in, but Emerson broke it up.

“23 on 81,” Staley said, referring to the jersey number for Emerson and Williams. “We liked it.”

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

I was begging for LBs this off season and the TPB brain trust said Staley’s defense doesn’t value them. We’re paying the price
                  The wisdom is still there. Unfortunately so is the woodpecking. :lol:

Browns just traded for Falcon's SuperLinebacker Deion Jones overnight. Now they are all set.

Derwin had his worst game as a pro yesterday. Tranquill was not as good as the week before. K9 is developing, and even made a play in pass defense.

Each week presents a new matchup. Browns was not a good one.
                  Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Good post and thanks for re focusing the convo. Agree with what you said about Ek and Kelley. It was very impressive to see this team run for 230 yards. That was rare and fun to see.

Herbert was great and obviously is feeling better and more comfortable even taking off running once or twice.

MW has been a beast and life saver for us. Really proud of how he’s playing after getting that contract.

I am convinced we are going to have a young OL that will grow together. Glad Pipkins came back in the game.

on the bad side. andre Roberts was far better than Carter returning kicks. Put Nas back there now that Alohi took his job. That pick by Alohi was a game saver.

jc Jackson is a bust who’s sucking $20m/year out of this team. That money could have been much better spent on Nwosu with plenty to spare. Vato is better and more deserving. Jc is getting special treatment because of what they paid for him. Bench him.

for gods sake let Bandy get some action. Palmer is giving us nothing
                    Palmer has not progressed - agree about Bandy

Gilman - fine job yesterday
                    OL playing better

agree with Comber who suggested Reeder last week. LBs are not good

Carter has had some good moments on offense more than as a return man thats for sure

If there is a speedy WR out there - I wouldn't mind Telesco trying to find one with Guyton out. The Chargers are not the fastest team on offense. Thats been consistent for many years.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Yup. I scratched my head at the loudly voiced TPB wisdom that modern football doesn’t need LBs. Made no sense then, or now. I thought the LBs we have would play better though.
                      I would have gladly traded for Roquan. Know what I mean ?

BTW there are subtle differences between "Modern Defense" and "StaleyD." Think John Pagano vs Renaldo Hill.

:chuckle:

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Here’s the breakdown of the thought process at the end. I do want to point out that Herbert is giving the option to change from a run play to a pass play on that third down.
                        Poppers wrong -- the heel is part of the foot and part of the process of catching a pass. That was the right call

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Obviously you all have not seen Reeder in coverage.

And...our next marchup is vs DEN...no need to try and slap together a defensive package for the Browns.

This is what makes the TPB personnel musings so hilarious.

It would not surprise me if Rumph II balls out and Derwin destroys.

Comment

Working...
                          X