Chargers @ Browns Game Day Thread / Post Game Reaction (Week 5)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

I doubt this will happen. Too much reshuffling.
    Its working where they are.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

It also says ok, go 40 -45 yards for a FG instead of 9 yards with no timeouts with 1:14 against my defense. Staley may say he trusts his guys but dumb is dumb and he is lucky they missed that FG or he is roasted over an open fire in the media and half this forum wants him fired.

If that were the Ravens and Justin Tucker kicking,....we lose no doubt about it. I understand his thinking and that's admirable, but imo it wasn't smart that day.
      Half the forum wants him fired anyway. I would have punted, but I’ve come to accept the Staley way. Looking at last year, that way won more than lost, i think. Its not gonna be 100%, gonna internalize that probabilities and odds mean sometimes it will go the other way. Maybe if its Justin Tucker he punts, we don’t know

They are 3-2 with only 1 BAD game. I sense they will get better on Defense even with the loss of Joey just as they gel together. There are a lot of new guys playing D.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• foreigner
        Tom Telesco is gone
        • Sep 2013
        • Send PM

Much respect for this team for winning two consecutive games on the road after the Jacksonville debacle. Winning in the NFL its not easy and much difficult on the road.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2022
          • White Rock, BC Canada
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Half the forum wants him fired anyway. I would have punted, but I’ve come to accept the Staley way. Looking at last year, that way won more than lost, i think. Its not gonna be 100%, gonna internalize that probabilities and odds mean sometimes it will go the other way. Maybe if its Justin Tucker he punts, we don’t know

They are 3-2 with only 1 BAD game. I sense they will get better on Defense even with the loss of Joey just as they gel together. There are a lot of new guys playing D.
          Was last season really a success? There are some like Rex Ryan who think Staley coached them OUT of a playoff spot

Personally I think that team should have been better than 9-8, a hair above 500. They lost 3 of the last 4 games when it counted. Not sure about you, but season ended on a disappointing note for me. You have a stud, franchise QB throwing for 5000 yards, something most coaches dream of.

Can you honetly look at the Raiders last year, compare talent to Chargers, add all the turmoil that team had to deal with, Gruden, Ruggs etc and tell me that the Raiders should have been in the playoffs over the Chargers??

Comment

• Budsman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Was last season really a success? There are some like Rex Ryan who think Staley coached them OUT of a playoff spot

Personally I think that team should have been better than 9-8, a hair above 500. They lost 3 of the last 4 games when it counted. Not sure about you, but season ended on a disappointing note for me. You have a stud, franchise QB throwing for 5000 yards, something most coaches dream of.

Can you honetly look at the Raiders last year, compare talent to Chargers, add all the turmoil that team had to deal with, Gruden, Ruggs etc and tell me that the Raiders should have been in the playoffs over the Chargers??
            The Chargers were 9-8 last year because that’s what they were. Their defense was historic levels of bad. Our offense was very good but defense bad that’s a 9-8 team.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2022
              • White Rock, BC Canada
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

The Chargers were 9-8 last year because that’s what they were. Their defense was historic levels of bad. Our offense was very good but defense bad that’s a 9-8 team.
              Thats part of the equation isnt it? Even before you have all the pieces on defence, your defence should not be "historic levels of bad" if you were hired because of your defensive acumen. How about average at least? Even the basic fundamentals like tackling were awful. That is not a pass for coaching.

Kinda brings up Daboll again. He doesnt have much to work with in NY on either side of the ball. He has Daniel Jones as his QB!!

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post
                Much respect for this team for winning two consecutive games on the road after the Jacksonville debacle. Winning in the NFL its not easy and much difficult on the road.
                Both 10 a.m. starts too. How often have the Chargers won back to back 10 a.m. in the east? Not very. They have only one 10 a.m. start remaining - in Atlanta, and they have two weeks to prepare for that trip. Their only other game in the East (Indy) is a prime time game.

Comment

• cmplxgal
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • New Jersey
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
                  Salyer has been a welcome surprise but he got beat badly a few times too,

I saw a chart saying that he gave up six of the team's 10 total pressures in the game according to PFF (so maybe that's why the low grade from them), so he certainly wasn't flawless. But for a sixth-round pick playing his second game, he was a revelation.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Thats part of the equation isnt it? Even before you have all the pieces on defence, your defence should not be "historic levels of bad" if you were hired because of your defensive acumen. How about average at least? Even the basic fundamentals like tackling were awful. That is not a pass for coaching.

Kinda brings up Daboll again. He doesnt have much to work with in NY on either side of the ball. He has Daniel Jones as his QB!!
                    Yet that same historically bad defense came up with a number of critical late-game stops throughout the season, giving the offense the opportunity to do its thing. Unfortunately, the offense choked those opportunities away at a roughly 50% clip. Can’t put all the losses last year on the defense, the offense earned a couple fair and square. The whole “top 5” thing ignores context, like the KC game this season, totally dominating them yet Herbert gifts them a pick six and we never recover. Location, location, location.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Yet that same historically bad defense came up with a number of critical late-game stops throughout the season, giving the offense the opportunity to do its thing. Unfortunately, the offense choked those opportunities away at a roughly 50% clip. Can’t put all the losses last year on the defense, the offense earned a couple fair and square. The whole “top 5” thing ignores context, like the KC game this season, totally dominating them yet Herbert gifts them a pick six and we never recover. Location, location, location.
                      In 60 minute games there are opportunities for O, D or STs to make a play for the W.
                      D & STs were pretty lousy and deservedly get a majority of the blame because they were easily most inadequate.
                      That doesn't change the fact that the O did not capitalize on 100 % of their opportunities. Every loss is a team loss.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                        French Speaking Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Québec city
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

In 60 minute games there are opportunities for O, D or STs to make a play for the W.
                        D & STs were pretty lousy and deservedly get a majority of the blame because they were easily most inadequate.
                        That doesn't change the fact that the O did not capitalize on 100 % of their opportunities. Every loss is a team loss.
                        Who is able to do that ?

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

Who is able to do that ?
                          Nobody, that is the point. Focusing on the O for the loss ignores that teams win or lose when all 3 facets make more plays than the other team.

Comment

Working...
                          X