Seahawks @ Chargers Pre Game Thread (Week 7)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaguarmanftype
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Valid points about the number of games started and more interceptions (though more games equals more chances for interceptions).

But the things people complain about Lombardi vs Steichen are the dink and dunk approach that Lombardi is ripped for because we never go deep. The reality is that in 2021 vs 2020, Herbert had

A higher yards per pass attempt
    A higher yards per pass completion
    The exact same adjusted yards per pass attempt
    More passing yards per game
    A higher percentage of TDs per pass attempt
    A higher QBR rating
    A lower percentage of sacks per pass attempt
    A higher net yards gained per pass attempt
    A higher adjusted net yards per pass attempt

He also had 3 more wins, 4 more 4th quarter comebacks and 2 more game winning drives.

So while rosters turnover year to year and things are never static, the notion that because Lombardi is running a ball control offense that we have massively regressed is simply not true. The reality is that we gained more yards and more TDs per pass attempt under Lombardi than we did under Steichen. Isn't that much more important than average air yards per attempt if the results are better?
    Arguably, it's all negligible in terms of numbers. But at least to my eye, and maybe there is a stat that verifies this, risk-weighted passing plays in 2020 had to be above average considering all factors, such as porous offensive line, total pressures, time to throw, and distance per pass considering the aforementioned factors. And it's hard to say whether Steichen had full control of play-calling duties, as we heard at least anecdotally that Lynn was overruling his plays and forcing run designs on early downs, so we don't really know if we got the full scope of what he could design and call. Certainly, he appears more than competent in Philly under Siriani.

Comment

• Air Coryell
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2021
      • Carlsbad, CA
      • Teacher, Coach, CFO
      • Send PM

Seahawks have a lot of young players and are rebuilding through the draft. Some key injuries, but are playing pretty well. We are not good enough to overlook anyone.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2022
        • White Rock, BC Canada
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
        Led the AFC in passing last season with a sophomore QB. Better than either of the Super Bowl teams. So I guess it was good enough to win the SB, if they had a decent defense to match.
        The numbers were there for sure last year, yet for me this offence is missing something to be truly elite.

Speed comes to mind
        So does unpredictability

There are times when the play calling becomes too predictable and this offence really gets shut down..

Really obvious now that defences are not very worried about getting beat deep. Makes it easier to defend.

Herberts injury and lack of mobility has something to do with it, but we lack the big play dynamic the Bills and Chiefs have.

Herbert has thrown for 1 TD in last 2 games

238 yards in 57 pass attempts??? 4.2 yards per pass attmept is pathetic for having a QB with Herberts talent

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2022
          • White Rock, BC Canada
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post

"The Chargers passing offense - they're doing a disservice, they're dropping the ball with how they're playing Justin Herbert. He's the machine, when he's in the pocket, but can we throw a ball past 5 yards? I mean, really? We're gonna have one of the greatest arms in the history of the league, in the same league as Mahomes and Allen, and all they do is throw 5 yard passes? Holy cow, is it frustrating to watch."

I think Florio and Simms also mentioned the slow receivers and separation issues as well. But mostly, its about the bland play-calling and misuse of Herbert's talents, though they did give a nod to Denver's defense.
          Thank you Chris Simms...TRUTH

Comment

• SK21209
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2020
            • San Diego
            • Send PM

The Seahawks beat the Broncos Week 1 and have been a better team all season, this will be a tough game. I think their offense is Top 5 in EPA per play at the moment, Metcalf and Lockett are great and their rookie RB Walker looked really good this week against the Cardinals (just traded for him in fantasy lol). Their defense is pretty bad, so with Linsley and Keenan hopefully back we should be able to move the ball much, much easier than today. I really want to see more aggressive play calling on first down, I read today that we've faced the most third downs in the league so far this season. Even with our #1 receiver out there's no reason that should be the case.

I think we pull out a 27-24ish sort of game heading into the bye.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2022
              • White Rock, BC Canada
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

People have this weird memory of the glory days when Steichen was here. The stats were better across the board in 2021 under Lombardi than they were in 2020 under Steichen.

Are people really surprised that the O is not putting up the same numbers this year with our #1 receiver playing 2 quarters in the year, our lone deep threat out, Parham missing the first 4 games, our line having severe injuries and shuffling players in and out and most importantly, our QB has messed up ribs. Of course we are not going to put up the same numbers, especially against an elite defense like Denver. The takes are just so bizzare.
              Your points are valid.

But so are points beyond that.

Many neutral observers have said it is blatantly obvious this offence lacks speed. The receivers are slow and do not separate well. Way too much to expect of a QB to throw all game long, every week into the tight windows Herbert does. Tribute to him he does not have more interceptions.

The play calling is alo predictable and not very innovative

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

The numbers were there for sure last year, yet for me this offence is missing something to be truly elite.

Speed comes to mind
                So does unpredictability

There are times when the play calling becomes too predictable and this offence really gets shut down..

Really obvious now that defences are not very worried about getting beat deep. Makes it easier to defend.

Herberts injury and lack of mobility has something to do with it, but we lack the big play dynamic the Bills and Chiefs have.

Herbert has thrown for 1 TD in last 2 games
                Lack of speed is noticeable - not sure how to fix that unless they make a trade

Denver is a tough defense - takes time to get a deep ball. Herbert might have been throwing quicker last night, checking down, because of that defense.

No Allen, no Linsley - third team center for a few plays - I will take the W

But come on Telesco - find some speed.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2022
                  • White Rock, BC Canada
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Lack of speed is noticeable - not sure how to fix that unless they make a trade

Denver is a tough defense - takes time to get a deep ball. Herbert might have been throwing quicker last night, checking down, because of that defense.

No Allen, no Linsley - third team center for a few plays - I will take the W

But come on Telesco - find some speed.
                  Of course we take the win and we happily will take 5-2 and a bye. Time to heal and get better because the schedula gets much harder.

But if the Chargers really want to contend this year, then Telesco needs to keep going all in and this is the year he should be looking for help before trade deadline. A WR and perhaps line depth on both sides, rusher.

Bills are interested in McCaffery and OBJ. They arent resting and are much better than we are right now.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Of course we take the win and we happily will take 5-2 and a bye. Time to heal and get better because the schedula gets much harder.

But if the Chargers really want to contend this year, then Telesco needs to keep going all in and this is the year he should be looking for help before trade deadline. A WR and perhaps line depth on both sides, rusher.

Bills are interested in McCaffery and OBJ. They arent resting and are much better than we are right now.
                    Bills are in a different phase than the Chargers but as the Rams have proven, strategic trades can help. Not sure OBJr is what the chargers need - though if he signed, wouldn't hate it. I want more speed thats for sure

Just looking at teams lower in the standings - not a lot of options that I can see with teams maybe wanting to offload salary for picks - only the Panthers. DJ Moore - he will be pricey

Anthony Schwarz from the Browns has speed - not sure if he can catch it

Amari Rodgers from the Packers - I think he was in Rodgers doghouse

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2022
                      • White Rock, BC Canada
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Bills are in a different phase than the Chargers but as the Rams have proven, strategic trades can help. Not sure OBJr is what the chargers need - though if he signed, wouldn't hate it. I want more speed thats for sure

Just looking at teams lower in the standings - not a lot of options that I can see with teams maybe wanting to offload salary for picks - only the Panthers. DJ Moore - he will be pricey

Anthony Schwarz from the Browns has speed - not sure if he can catch it

Amari Rodgers from the Packers - I think he was in Rodgers doghouse
                      Rodgers is another slot receiver, lat thing we need.

Is Will Fuller completely washed? When he was on the field and not injured he has been a talented deep threat than can fly and catch.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Rodgers is another slot receiver, lat thing we need.

Is Will Fuller completely washed? When he was on the field and not injured he has been a talented deep threat than can fly and catch.
                        On Allbrights twitter feed today - people asking questions about players getting traded
                        Bronco fan asked "if Payton really wanted to come to Denver do you think the Saints would lessen trade demands" - delusional
                        I responded "if Payton goes to an AFCW team, it will be the team that beat the Broncos last night?" Herbert or Wilson

But Allbright mentioned Chase Claypool - now he would be interesting. Yeah, Yeah, I know he did the thing last year with signaling the first down losing - but he has talent

Comment

• jubei
                          Vagabond Ninja
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Thank you Chris Simms...TRUTH
                          Colin Cowherd reiterated that same premise.

Comment

Working...
                          X