Until John Spanos is Gone, Nothing Will Ever Change - Locked By Fleet - John LIstened

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChargersPowderBlue
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Duck of Death View Post
    2. Meddling Reason
    • Many of us saw Scott Kaplan’s interview with Slauson and Woodhead. But even acknowledging Kaplan’s obvious axe to grind, is anyone really surprised at what Slauson said? Also, Danny Woodhead is a class act - at no point did he deny that upper management wanted certain players starting due to price, rather than merit.
    • Before the draft, everyone and their mother had concerns about finding a TE who could block. So did Kellen Moore look at McKitty’s body of work and say, “yeah, he’ll do fine.”? Or maybe he was told that this is what you will have to work with. I don’t know but I find it hard to believe that he would think he’d be fine running 12 & 13 personnel with these guys. Unfortunately KM doesn’t strike me as the type to demand anything.

I'll just quote these parts.

Do you think Lynn had a change of heart when he decided to make Herbert the starter over Tyrod Taylor? Does anyone believe that, I mean really? Lynn was likely told to by the Spanos.

I can point out to many players that stayed on the Chargers more than they deserved to. Even players who people probably forgot about.

Comment

• Riverwalk
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

I'll just quote these parts.

Do you think Lynn had a change of heart when he decided to make Herbert the starter over Tyrod Taylor? Does anyone believe that, I mean really? Lynn was likely told to by the Spanos.

I can point out to many players that stayed on the Chargers more than they deserved to. Even players who people probably forgot about.
      what are you talking about? Tyrod was unfortunately stabbed by the Dr. and had a collapsed lung as a result and couldn’t play so Herbert had to play. While Tyrod was recovering Herbert excelled and no coach would have ever returned Herbert to the bench after Tyrod recovered.

Comment

• Don Corleone
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Everything you need to know. Right from Deano's mouth from 2013.

Chargers Owner Alex Spanos turned 90 years old Saturday, a milestone he met quietly with Faye Spanos, his wife of 65 years, at his side. He has not attended a game in a few years amid a battle with dementia. But at the time of this birthday, the consummate Greek family man has a business that continues the most sacred aspect of his legacy.

It is a family.

Elder son Dean Spanos, 63, is team president. Grandson A.G. Spanos, 35, is executive vice president and team CEO, overseeing the Chargers’ business operations. Grandson John Spanos, 33, is executive vice president of football operations.

Alex Spanos passed life principles to them.

Don’t be afraid to ask questions; that is the only way to learn. Don’t be defeated by failure. Be the best. Work.

At the forefront was an importance on family.

“He always has been a firm believer in nepotism,” Dean Spanos said. “A lot of people frown on it. He takes the reverse perspective: It could be the greatest thing in the world. ...

“The thing I think my dad would be very proud of today is I believe everyone in our family that is working in this business or other businesses have earned that right. They were not given that right. Dad was a big believer of that. He wouldn’t do it if they didn’t earn it. Nobody got a free ride.”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Don Corleone View Post
          https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...p28-story.html

Everything you need to know. Right from Deano's mouth from 2013.

Chargers Owner Alex Spanos turned 90 years old Saturday, a milestone he met quietly with Faye Spanos, his wife of 65 years, at his side. He has not attended a game in a few years amid a battle with dementia. But at the time of this birthday, the consummate Greek family man has a business that continues the most sacred aspect of his legacy.

It is a family.

Elder son Dean Spanos, 63, is team president. Grandson A.G. Spanos, 35, is executive vice president and team CEO, overseeing the Chargers’ business operations. Grandson John Spanos, 33, is executive vice president of football operations.

Alex Spanos passed life principles to them.

Don’t be afraid to ask questions; that is the only way to learn. Don’t be defeated by failure. Be the best. Work.

At the forefront was an importance on family.

“He always has been a firm believer in nepotism,” Dean Spanos said. “A lot of people frown on it. He takes the reverse perspective: It could be the greatest thing in the world. ...

The thing I think my dad would be very proud of today is I believe everyone in our family that is working in this business or other businesses have earned that right. They were not given that right. Dad was a big believer of that. He wouldn’t do it if they didn’t earn it. Nobody got a free ride.”
          And based on Dean and John, they got a free ride

Dean is obtuse, dense, zero business savvy. At least that is the way he comes across

truly what business skills does he have. he hired Mariah Careys PR person to be point person for the stadium when Jim Steeg was in his building

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

I don’t think Deans two sons, A.G. And John have worked anywhere but the Chargers.

And the only job they could get for another NFL team is Gatoraide squirter.

So they won’t sell.
            The franchise is worth 4 billion. Do they really need a NFL job after selling it?
            Or any job? They could start their own business that isn't football.....or not.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

The franchise is worth 4 billion. Do they really need a NFL job after selling it?
              Or any job? They could start their own business that isn't football.....or not.
              If they ever sold the franchise, how much would Dean and his sons actually net personally after all the other financial obligations are met? Dean personally only owns 15 percent of the franchise. His three siblings own 45 percent. The family trust owns 36 percent.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

If they ever sold the franchise, how much would Dean and his sons actually net personally after all the other financial obligations are met? Dean personally only owns 15 percent of the franchise. His three siblings own 45 percent. The family trust owns 36 percent.
                15% of 4 billion is 600 mil.
                No matter who owns what, JohnBoy and AG wouldn't have to ever work again if they don't want to.

And my point is,...who cares if they can't land another NFL job. Why would they need one?

Now I don't know how Dean got to be the guy running the Chargers owning only 15%.

I hope the Sibs who own more force him to sell.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

No matter who owns what, JohnBoy and AG wouldn't have to ever work again if they don't want to.
                  You mean become the idle rich?

Now I don't know how Dean got to be the guy running the Chargers owning only 15%.
                  Because his brother owns 15 percent also and Dean or the two of them control the votes of the family trust, which means they have control of 66 percent of the franchise. I don't know if I have that exactly right, but it's pretty close.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

The average franchise value of National Football League teams has consistently increased over the years. From 2016 to 2023, the average value of a NFL franchise has more than doubled from 2.34 billion U.S. dollars to around 5.11 billion U.S. dollars.
                    Why would they sell? They have the jobs all of us only dream about.
                    Face it... we're stuck with these owners.

Our only dream left is to hope they stumble upon good choices and learn from their mistakes....
                    Dreaming they will out-wit the other owners and hire a better coach... or better GM... seems silly.
                    Cheer for losses if you must... but that will not bring a new owner.

Hopium comes in many forms.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2021
                      • Send PM

15% of 4 billion is 600 mil.

And my point is,...who cares if they can't land another NFL job. Why would they need one?

I hope the Sibs who own more force him to sell.
                      25% of 4 billion is only 600M if there’s no debt and no taxes. 😂

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Send PM

I don't think there's enough evidence to blame John Spanos for anything at this point. I think when we look at all the evidence it points to Telesco far more being the primary culprit because he came from Indy with Polian and that team in Indy ended up looking a lot like this team here once Peyton Manning had to sit out. I have gone into great detail on this in other threads.

Also note that "Chargering" wasn't nearly as bad until Telesco got here. Chargering basically equates to having a fundamentally unsound football team. There are multiple things that go into that but a good bit of this is constantly not having a deep roster, avoiding signing cheap veteran talent to fill holes, and having multiple practice squad players filling important roles. One can look at the current depth at corner for a prime example of that. Good players like Callahan are available & they're only 1 injury away from having to start a practice squad player at that position. The important thing is that "chargering" is by and large predictable before it happens by the construction of the roster. You constantly have Olines that can't run block or protect the passer, tight end groups that can't run block, interior Dlineman & linebackers that don't play the run, secondary players that don't tackle, and a mentality on special teams that tolerates mediocrity in the coverage units.

THE OPPOSITE OF CHARGERING ARE THE STEELERS, SEATTLE, & BALTIMORE WHO CONSTANTLY DO MORE WITH LESS!!!

Those teams build fundamentally sound football teams that stop the run, run the football, tackle well, don't give up big plays, emphasize ball security, and special teams. They are never perfect and always have major holes in some part of the team, but there's a physical culture that tends to lessen the impact of their weaknesses.

When you constantly draft players like Jerry Tillery (an undersized interior dlineman that doesn't play the run) and JT Woods (a safety that can't tackle) those type of moves synergize to form a sum less than their given parts. Thus "chargering" results & you have a team with a lot of great individual parts that never seems to put it together.

John Butler built a very fundamentally sound, physical football team. AJ continued that for a while until he started going senile in his later years & began to neglect the Oline & Dline. John Spanos worked for the chargers during the Butler & AJ years when things were much different. Then Telesco came in. So how can anyone really blame John Spanos?

THE NEXT GM NEEDS TO KNOW HOW TO BUILD A FUNDAMENTALLY SOUND FOOTBALL TEAM THAT SYNERGIZES INTO A SUM GREATER THAN THE INDIVIDUAL PARTS!!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
                          I don't think there's enough evidence to blame John Spanos for anything at this point. I think when we look at all the evidence it points to Telesco far more being the primary culprit because he came from Indy with Polian and that team in Indy ended up looking a lot like this team here once Peyton Manning had to sit out. I have gone into great detail on this in other threads.

Also note that "Chargering" wasn't nearly as bad until Telesco got here. Chargering basically equates to having a fundamentally unsound football team. There are multiple things that go into that but a good bit of this is constantly not having a deep roster, avoiding signing cheap veteran talent to fill holes, and having multiple practice squad players filling important roles. One can look at the current depth at corner for a prime example of that. Good players like Callahan are available & they're only 1 injury away from having to start a practice squad player at that position. The important thing is that "chargering" is by and large predictable before it happens by the construction of the roster. You constantly have Olines that can't run block or protect the passer, tight end groups that can't run block, interior Dlineman & linebackers that don't play the run, secondary players that don't tackle, and a mentality on special teams that tolerates mediocrity in the coverage units.

THE OPPOSITE OF CHARGERING ARE THE STEELERS, SEATTLE, & BALTIMORE WHO CONSTANTLY DO MORE WITH LESS!!!

Those teams build fundamentally sound football teams that stop the run, run the football, tackle well, don't give up big plays, emphasize ball security, and special teams. They are never perfect and always have major holes in some part of the team, but there's a physical culture that tends to lessen the impact of their weaknesses.

When you constantly draft players like Jerry Tillery (an undersized interior dlineman that doesn't play the run) and JT Woods (a safety that can't tackle) those type of moves synergize to form a sum less than their given parts. Thus "chargering" results & you have a team with a lot of great individual parts that never seems to put it together.

John Butler built a very fundamentally sound, physical football team. AJ continued that for a while until he started going senile in his later years & began to neglect the Oline & Dline. John Spanos worked for the chargers during the Butler & AJ years when things were much different. Then Telesco came in. So how can anyone really blame John Spanos?

THE NEXT GM NEEDS TO KNOW HOW TO BUILD A FUNDAMENTALLY SOUND FOOTBALL TEAM THAT SYNERGIZES INTO A SUM GREATER THAN THE INDIVIDUAL PARTS!!
                          the overall record of Dean Spanos is terrible
                          So there is merit in blaming him

As for TElesco - not a fan at all

Comment

Working...
                          X