Chargers @ Falcons Pre Game Thread (Week 9)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Caslon
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2019
    • Send PM

Did one of our TE’s get in a full week of practice? Might be important. Alas…the short game

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I guess Carter is feeling better.

so it’s Palmer, Carter, Bandy, Moore and Doss at WR.

Heaven help us
      Doss has 11 career catches for 133 yds/0 TDs, all in 2019 for the Raiders. He's big - 6-3, 215 - but not fast - 4.56 40. He's out of UC Davis. I guess they value him over two speedier WRs on the PS, Joe Reed and John Hightower. Maybe they look at Doss's size as an advantage. The Falcons are without their top CB, A.J. Terrell. Casey Hayward is on IR.

The Falcons are in fact dead last in pass defense. I don't know that to expect from the Chargers' offense tomorrow. Their passing game is depleted, but that is where the Falcons can be had. The Falcons' rushing D is respectable - No. 11 overall, giving up about 108 yds per game. I don't know if the offensive game plan will be more run heavy because the Chargers' passing game is depleted or if they will try to air it out with Herbert and his patchwork receiving corps because the Falcons' pass defense is so bad.

In the passing game, I suspect they will have Herbert heavily target Palmer, Everett and Ekeler. Herbert has been the check down king lately. Going through his progressions and afraid to throw to depth. Two weeks ago, with his WR corps fully operational, Joe Burrow threw for 481 yds and 3 TDs vs the Falcons D in a 35-17 win in Cincinnati.

The Falcons are +1 in turnovers, with 4 fumble take-aways and 7 INTS - the Chargers have the same number of INTs, tied for 9th most with 6 other teams. The Falcons are averaging 1.5 sacks per game, second worst only to the Raiders.

So, I don't know what to expect the offense to look like tomorrow.

I know what to expect from the Falcons' offense. They have the 5th best rushing attack, averaging 158 yds per game. The Chargers' run D is giving up 137 yds per game, 27th in the league. Atlanta will be the 2nd best rushing offense the Bolts' D has faced this season. The Browns are 3rd in rushing, 165 yds per game - they ran for 213 yds on the Chargers, who surrendered 134 yds to Chubb alone.

The Falcons' passing game with Mariota is bad - 29th overall, averaging 163 yds per game. The Falcons have given up 19 sacks in 8 games - 2.4 per game. (Justin Herbert, along with Josh Allen, remain the least sacked QBs in the league, with only 7 sacks in 7 games.) The Chargers are averaging 2.4 sacks per game, which is about middle of the road in the league.

Comment

• Caslon
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2019
        • Send PM

Long ball. Not gonna happen. Left with what? I want to see screens done to perfection, or else.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

We have receivers that can catch the ball if Herbert can find them and make a good throw.
          That will depend on OL , run game and play calling. Not to mention LAC defense. We can't let them hold the ball for 50 minutes out of 60.
          Atl has one of the weakest pass coverages in the NFL

Put together a complete team game and we get the W.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

I continue to be surprised the Chargers are still -3 for tomorrow's game.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
              Herbert vs bottom feeding pass defense.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Keelan Doss over Joe Reed? Says all you need to know about what the staff thinks of Reed. I thought he looked good when he got a chance in pre season

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                  Keelan Doss over Joe Reed? Says all you need to know about what the staff thinks of Reed. I thought he looked good when he got a chance in pre season
                  Me too so unless he is hurt again, he is a waste of even a PS spot.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

If I had to guess why, it would be Doss is a better run blocker than Reed. The staff seems to emphasize that a lot - not that you can tell by the results in our running game.

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

Me too. Considering our problems at WR and our run defense, I think we should be +3.
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                        If I had to guess why, it would be Doss is a better run blocker than Reed. The staff seems to emphasize that a lot - not that you can tell by the results in our running game.
                        At this point they can sacrifice the run support for desperately needed playmakers at WR. Heck, I’d rather see Hightower as at least he has some speed. But speed seems to valued as much as LBs by the staff. As in not at all

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Doss has 11 career catches for 133 yds/0 TDs, all in 2019 for the Raiders. He's big - 6-3, 215 - but not fast - 4.56 40. He's out of UC Davis. I guess they value him over two speedier WRs on the PS, Joe Reed and John Hightower. Maybe they look at Doss's size as an advantage. The Falcons are without their top CB, A.J. Terrell. Casey Hayward is on IR.

The Falcons are in fact dead last in pass defense. I don't know that to expect from the Chargers' offense tomorrow. Their passing game is depleted, but that is where the Falcons can be had. The Falcons' rushing D is respectable - No. 11 overall, giving up about 108 yds per game. I don't know if the offensive game plan will be more run heavy because the Chargers' passing game is depleted or if they will try to air it out with Herbert and his patchwork receiving corps because the Falcons' pass defense is so bad..
                          How disruptive is Grady Jarrett going to be? With Linsley, the Charger interior is the strength of the offense.....so they are well matched there.
                          Atlanta edge rushers not a strength for them.

If the Chargers can't attack Atlanta's defensive backfield, even with their problems at wide receiver, than Lombo should hand in his resignation after the game.
                          :sigh:
                          My fear is that Staley's defense will lay a big goose egg.

Comment

Working...
                          X