• Show
Clear All
  • Fleet 1
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Kauai
    • Send PM

Steve Young Unleashes On Chargers

Becoming a decent discussion on twitter. Probably posted here but maybe its worth its own discussion. Definitely feeling the vibe from former players and coaches that Staley and Co are not too popular. Just passing this along.

• Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Steve Young offers scathing critique of dysfunctional Chargers organization

Taylor Wirth
    Wed, November 9, 2022, 10:40 PM
    Young offers brutally honest opinion on dysfunctional Chargers originally appeared on NBC Sports Bayarea

Apparently dismantling the Los Angeles Chargersonce in his career wasn't enough, so Steve Young did so again Wednesday night.

The former 49ers quarterback and Pro Football Hall of Famer joined KNBR 680's "Tolbert & Copes" on Wednesday evening, discussing San Francisco's upcoming matchup with Los Angeles on "Sunday Night Football" in Week 10 at Levi's Stadium.

He also explained why he believes the Chargers don't pose nearly as much of a threat as other contending AFC teams.

"The Chargers are neither fish nor fowl," Young said. "If you think about the top-echelon teams, especially in the AFC, Kansas City, Buffalo, Cincinnati, and the Dolphins now, they are all teams that are well-coached, innovative and are going to throw their way there. And they've got the personnel and they've got the quarterback and the coach, they've got all those things and that's why it's going to be tough. And the Chargers are not that team."

Young is all-in on Chargers Pro Bowl quarterback Justin Herbert and believes he is one of the league's elite stars at the position. However, the structure around him leaves much to be desired in Young's eyes.

"They don't have the weapons, they don't prepare that way, their offense isn't built that way, they're not a 2022 innovative offense, they're not," Young explained. "They have the guy, Justin Herbert honestly is ... I really do believe he is generational like Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen. He is that guy, but I don't believe he's got the help.

"He's not getting (the help) philosophically, but he's also not getting it with talent. But also, strategically, who are we? Who are the Chargers? Offensively I mean. Offensively they're ... I don't know."

Young goes on to compare the dysfunction of the Chargers to that of the Arizona Cardinals, who many believe to be of the league's most inconsistent teams.

"The Chargers show up and they're a little more like the Cardinals," Young added. "I always kind of make fun of the Kliff Kingsbury-Kyler Murray kind of wing-it offense and I feel like the Chargers are that way with less of a plan. You can tell I'm not for the Chargers and I think they're not doing a great job of taking care of a generational talent and I'm worried about that.

"I'm worried there are people there who don't understand it, don't understand what needs to happen and they're being lapped by other teams who do."
    RELATED: Why Warner feels optimistic about 49ers' 4-4 start

Regardless of how Young might feel about the Chargers, the 49ers certainly are taking them at face value as a 5-3 team that, albeit very injured, still has game-breaking talent on both sides of the ball in Herbert, running back Austin Ekeler and defensive stars Derwin James and Khalil Mack.

Young handled the Chargers with ease in Super Bowl XXIX almost 28 years ago, completing 24-of-36 passes for 325 yards and six touchdowns on his way to securing San Francisco's fifth championship, but today's 49ers certainly aren't taking the Chargers lightly
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Come on Steve, we’re a team whose offensive coordinator spends his nights trying to figure out how to turn a 2 inch pass into a 1 inch pass.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

I think Steve Young is full of shit on this.

I also think Staley's scheme is not the problem.

Instead, I listen to Austin Ekeler's version of what's going on, both on offense and on defense.

We have to play better.
        You don't know ball

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Every aspect of the NFL is constantly in flux, on a moment by moment basis.

Ww have no idea how our game will be officiated, or how the matchups will go.

See Buffalo Bills before last Sunday vs now (Josh Allen may need to learn how to play TE.)

Compare ATL's OL performance now vs the earlier games this year, and conversely vs last year...it's the same players.

Herbert is getting healthy, and his mobility is increasing Justin's effectiveness exponentially, and a just the right time.

Herbert vs Garoppolo...lol.
          You don't know ball

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Super Bowls are still won in different manners.

Teams rely on doing basic things well, very consistently.

Steve Young and Kurt Warner are both speculating, and their ideas can be stood on their head.

This year, the old NFL adage can be in play...the season doesn't really begin until November--December.

Our second half of the 2022 season BEGINS at HT @ Santa Clara.

Edit: LOL. Typos.
            Last edited by wu-dai clan; 11-11-2022, 11:34 AM.
            You don't know ball

Comment

• Heatmiser
              HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I have never like Steve Young. From the day he was drafted by Tampa.

TG
              Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                I have never like Steve Young. From the day he was drafted by Tampa.

TG
                From the day BYU and their 25 year old seniors throttled aztec teams in the 80s.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Just prior to our SB loss to SF,
                  I naively bad mouthed Steve Young to some LDS 49er fan friends.
                  That was interesting.
                  You don't know ball

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

It’s all bulletin board material.

Go Bolts.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Taylor Wirth
                      Young offers brutally honest opinion on dysfunctional Chargers originally appeared on NBC Sports Bayarea

Apparently dismantling the Los Angeles Chargersonce in his career wasn't enough, so Steve Young did so again Wednesday night.

The former 49ers quarterback and Pro Football Hall of Famer joined KNBR 680's "Tolbert & Copes" on Wednesday evening, discussing San Francisco's upcoming matchup with Los Angeles on "Sunday Night Football" in Week 10 at Levi's Stadium.

He also explained why he believes the Chargers don't pose nearly as much of a threat as other contending AFC teams.

"The Chargers are neither fish nor fowl," Young said. "If you think about the top-echelon teams, especially in the AFC, Kansas City, Buffalo, Cincinnati, and the Dolphins now, they are all teams that are well-coached, innovative and are going to throw their way there. And they've got the personnel and they've got the quarterback and the coach, they've got all those things and that's why it's going to be tough. And the Chargers are not that team."

Young is all-in on Chargers Pro Bowl quarterback Justin Herbert and believes he is one of the league's elite stars at the position. However, the structure around him leaves much to be desired in Young's eyes.

"They don't have the weapons, they don't prepare that way, their offense isn't built that way, they're not a 2022 innovative offense, they're not," Young explained. "They have the guy, Justin Herbert honestly is ... I really do believe he is generational like Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen. He is that guy, but I don't believe he's got the help.

"He's not getting (the help) philosophically, but he's also not getting it with talent. But also, strategically, who are we? Who are the Chargers? Offensively I mean. Offensively they're ... I don't know."

Young goes on to compare the dysfunction of the Chargers to that of the Arizona Cardinals, who many believe to be of the league's most inconsistent teams.

"The Chargers show up and they're a little more like the Cardinals," Young added. "I always kind of make fun of the Kliff Kingsbury-Kyler Murray kind of wing-it offense and I feel like the Chargers are that way with less of a plan. You can tell I'm not for the Chargers and I think they're not doing a great job of taking care of a generational talent and I'm worried about that.

"I'm worried there are people there who don't understand it, don't understand what needs to happen and they're being lapped by other teams who do."

Regardless of how Young might feel about the Chargers, the 49ers certainly are taking them at face value as a 5-3 team that, albeit very injured, still has game-breaking talent on both sides of the ball in Herbert, running back Austin Ekeler and defensive stars Derwin James and Khalil Mack.

Young handled the Chargers with ease in Super Bowl XXIX almost 28 years ago, completing 24-of-36 passes for 325 yards and six touchdowns on his way to securing San Francisco's fifth championship, but today's 49ers certainly aren't taking the Chargers lightly
                      I agree with him. It starts at the top. We will always be hindered from the top and the top hired Telesco who IMO this is his last hurrah. If no playoffs or we go one and done, he needs to go.
                      The problem with that is the top will hire another inexpensive, inexperienced GM. Im not down on Staley as i agree with others who said he could be a great HC given some experience and he is learning on the job here.

Telesco has been aggresive this past offseason for a change but im still concerned about his lack of getting that key player here and there in trades during the season to get us over the top. Been saying that for years about him. And yes it would be nice if we had more speed at the skill possitions though i dont think speed is everything, but playmakers is. Just trading for anybody isnt the way to go but be smart about it.

SF has made some moves for instance but they have also made some mistakes making moves as Lynch and Shanahan are still learning as well. The drafting of Lance will bite them in the ass.

We'll see what happens in teh second half when we start getting some of our studs back.

Till then, ill always keep saying.....Dean, please sell the team!

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Taylor Wirth

I'm a little surprised that Young is an open enemy of the Chargers. I thought he was better than that. F him and his bigotted opinions.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍