• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charger1_sj
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

The hiring of Payton doesn't mean we're going to be pummeled. It doesn't seem to matter who the head coach and quarterback are for the Broncos; we have played like idiots against them at least once a year since Peyton Manning retired. Payton is an overrated coach, who I believe will not do well in Denver.

The real problem is Kansas City.
    I've looked into this and guess what, I know what the real problem is. It's us!

Comment

• gzubeck
      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
      • Jan 2019
      • Tucson, AZ
      • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

The Chargers have become a triple A training ground for future successful coaches around the NFL. There has been TOO MUCH emphasis put on the head coaching position and not enough on the coordinators. Whenever we've had success as an organization we had multiple competent coordinators on the team. When we are light we crash and burn. When a coach can't develop and train young talent I rank them a zero in my book. Lombardi is a zero unless some offensive minded head coach like Payton or McCarthy hires him to be heavily supervised. How we let Steichen walk and allowed the head coach to hire a huge question mark is beyond me. We are to strong to placate a new head coach and allow them to hire whoever they want as their staff. I get that we want to allow some latitude for head coaches but any new head coach should NOT have this scope. Only proven head coaches should have this ability not new head coaches in the league. In other words they have to get this guy signed off on before hiring. Real desperation to fix the defense lead to this irrational decision and allowed Lombardi to be hired over retention of Steichen.
      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

It seems like Payton is god ?
        He's at the very least competent.
        He'll hire competent assistant coaches and they'll know how to teach their underlings how to correctly prepare the players within their system.

A coach like Willhoit would have succeeded under a competent DC.

If some star players are not on board or are inattentive, Payton can get rid of them: he doesn't need to butter up to them like Staley.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

you're a charger fan. best to adjust your expectations of what constitutes success.

i can tell ya one thing, getting pummeled in the division for the next 10 years isn't going to be joyful
          Swami jamrock serving a crock.
          KC is legit although we have always played them close, winning occasionally.
          Now we have a top OC and the Turds and Donks will pummel us.
          Sorry I can't wish you luck with that.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Very true.

Comment

• charger1_sj
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2022
              • Send PM

Our record since Reid joined the Chiefs: 5-15. Two of those wins came in Reid's first year with the Chiefs.
              Let's hope Payton to Denver doesn't produce the same results.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I'm not certain what we have in the OC.

He's young, he did well under an offensive minded head coach (whom i'm sure had his oars in those waters),
                he got fired,
                and now he's coaching under Staley, who gave Lombo very little help.

Keyshawn Johnson said that McCarthy was unhappy with Moor for pushing the football down the field too much...
                which is a good thing for Charger fans.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Payton let Evero go to pursue other opportunities

Some team is going to get a very good DC on the rise

The Chargers have Staley and Renaldo Hill - nobody is calling to interview Hill

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

As pointed out above, 5-15 against the Chiefs with Reid and that includes Alex Smith and 2 of those losses were in Reid’s first year. We play just well enough to lose against KC. Maybe if Kelce retires it’ll get better. Doubt it.

mas also pointed out, we play poorly against the Broncos (certainly did in 2022) and now they have Payton. Gonna get better? Doubt it.

we have a top OC? Let’s pump the brakes until he calls a play or two.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I'm not certain what we have in the OC.

He's young, he did well under an offensive minded head coach (whom i'm sure had his oars in those waters),
                      he got fired,
                      and now he's coaching under Staley, who gave Lombo very little help.

Keyshawn Johnson said that McCarthy was unhappy with Moor for pushing the football down the field too much...
                      which is a good thing for Charger fans.
                      I heard from reliable Cowboy fans that have been following them forever that it was the exact opposite. Dink and donks with
                      medium passes to Lamb. Moore did say he would incorporate some Coryell's schemes which would include a vertical game
                      and big time use of a TE. I guess we just have to wait and see.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

As pointed out above, 5-15 against the Chiefs with Reid and that includes Alex Smith and 2 of those losses were in Reid’s first year. We play just well enough to lose against KC. Maybe if Kelce retires it’ll get better. Doubt it.

mas also pointed out, we play poorly against the Broncos (certainly did in 2022) and now they have Payton. Gonna get better? Doubt it.

He called plenty of plays in Dallas. Not like he is coming in cold as a OC.
                        11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
                        35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                        37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                        66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                        69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                        100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                        110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                        140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                        181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                        225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• charger1_sj
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2022
                          • Send PM

Should also point out that Reid has been in the PO 9/10 seasons. Missed in 2014 with a 9-7 record. Has never had a losing season in KC.
                          4/5 times Alex Smith was his QB.

I don't expect quite the same results from Payton. But I'm pretty sure he's going to turn that franchise around by hook or crook.

Comment

Working...
                          X