• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DennisR91
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

The whole short passing game in lieu of a running game is controlling the clock. Thing is with Herbert WE DON"T WANT to control the clock. We need to get into the end
    zone quick and often. When not injured talent wise we are in the same boat as KC. We should be winning games by putting up 30+. All a run game does is make the
    game closer than it often should be. Unless of course you have an LT. But that era is gone. We do need a run game so that we don't become one dimensional.
    But we don't need to become the Titans. Another reason to be able to run the football is because our red zone offense stinks. 1st and goal at the six and we settle for
    a FG. So it's not like I don't agree with you. It's just it's a passing league and we have a QB with a cannon arm. Let them fear the passing game and running the
    football becomes that much easier. Injuries pretty much derailed this philosophy, which is why we need more offensive weapons for Herbert.

nice post

we don’t need to run as much as titans quantity

however if we can run just as good as them quality when we do run then I think that would take care of that problem

kind of like a great running game on demand if that’s even possible

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Have we actually interviewed anybody for the OC position? I was just listening to the radio and there's a lot of interviewing
      going on. Didn't hear anything about the Chargers. Are we going to sit back and wait for the scraps?
      It could just mean that we're interested in someone on the staff of a playoff team.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

It could just mean that we're interested in someone on the staff of a playoff team.
        Ooh, good speculation. I like it. But who? Teams can block a current OC, so someone lower on their staffs?
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by DennisR91 View Post

nice post

we don’t need to run as much as titans quantity

however if we can run just as good as them quality when we do run then I think that would take care of that problem

kind of like a great running game on demand if that’s even possible
          The Bills run it well. It sets up the pass nicely, too. They ran for 5.2 ypc. Better than the 49ers (4.7) although not as much (attempts-wise)
          For all of the talk about WR speed, Stephon Diggs ran a 4.46 and Gabe Davis ran a 4.53. And they both get behind the secondary on a pretty regular basis.

Be balanced... that's all I want. And be able to run it in the redzone.

Staley said running the ball is about being physical and making the defense tackle and play their gaps.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Ooh, good speculation. I like it. But who? Teams can block a current OC, so someone lower on their staffs?
            I'm kind of hoping Aaron Kromer... Bills OL coach and run coordinator.
            The OL has talent... it just didn't produce.

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

The Bills run it well. It sets up the pass nicely, too. They ran for 5.2 ypc. Better than the 49ers (4.7) although not as much (attempts-wise)
              For all of the talk about WR speed, Stephon Diggs ran a 4.46 and Gabe Davis ran a 4.53. And they both get behind the secondary on a pretty regular basis.

Staley said running the ball is about being physical and making the defense tackle and play their gaps.
              Staley says a lot of things, very few of which actually come true

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Staley says a lot of things, very few of which actually come true
                So make it come true... with the right OC and OL coach.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

I had to go watch some Bijan highlights after his repeated call outs. I likey and an envisioning this different strategy. He has comparable speed to LT (4.49 vs 4.46) and he accelerates to full speed in a hurry. Defenders caught flat foot for a second will lose that race because he’s already gone.

Superior balance thru inside traffic, he effectively shifts direction to slip or break a lot of arm tackles if defender isn’t in perfect position. Stellar change of direction cuts and he accelerates both thru and out of the cuts to often leave defenders behind grasping at air or tickling him with a hand. As noted, a hand tickle won’t bring him down. Doesn’t quite have LT’s legendary cut moves but who the fuck does. We do not have this guy on our roster, that is for sure. He was a TD machine his last season at UT. Even saw some downfield passes to him that he tracked the ball fairly well in flight. He didn’t start as a frosh and he’s a Junior this (last) year so not completely ground down via over-use in his college career.

He would get 10x more touches and opportunities to change games than a 1st Rd WR. Get an Offensive staff that can actually install and teach an effective rushing game and he could transform the Chargers like LT did in his prime. Herbie could have a true balanced attack that defenses will have to respect at all times as BJ can take it to the house on any carry. Him and Eke in 2-back sets will be daring DCs to take risks on how they try to defend them both. Neither can be defended 1x1 for long.

hmmm … I was all in on WR in R1, now … you guys make me think. ok, I’m in. I didn’t see anything from Spiller to think he solved our long-running RB deficiency. He ran a 4.64, not close to the speed of BJ who, again, was comparable to LT.

TPB (and UTSD before that) has chirped for over a decade that a Rd1 RB is a complete waste. We’ve cycled thru too many bleh RBs to count. This could be the change we need and if Staley really wants to be a LOS team, he needs a superior RB imo.

Speed WR in round 2 or 3 then? . I’d hate to just land some Day3 WR that is fast but is a shit WR. That’s what Oakland did for 20 yrs, never fielding one great WR in all of their attempts

Get those two explosive pieces and boom - OL gets better, Herbie gets better, Scores go up, … everyone else gets less attention and are more effective. I’m in!
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• charger1_sj
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2022
                    • Send PM

The Bills have Allen who runs the football. With the Bills they actually set up the run plays with the pass. It's not straight line speed that counts with WRs,
                    Jerry Rice proved that. It's the moves, quickness that get you open that counts. Even with T. Hill, it's the moves that jocks out the DBs and then he turns on
                    the speed. Agreed that balance is needed. But running into a brick wall as we routinely do with our running plays is not the answer.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                      We Are The Storm!
                      • Aug 2018
                      • Send PM

I had to go watch some Bijan highlights after his repeated call outs. I likey and an envisioning this different strategy. He has comparable speed to LT (4.49 vs 4.46) and he accelerates to full speed in a hurry. Defenders caught flat foot for a second will lose that race because he’s already gone.

Superior balance thru inside traffic, he effectively shifts direction to slip or break a lot of arm tackles if defender isn’t in perfect position. Stellar change of direction cuts and he accelerates both thru and out of the cuts to often leave defenders behind grasping at air or tickling him with a hand. As noted, a hand tickle won’t bring him down. Doesn’t quite have LT’s legendary cut moves but who the fuck does. We do not have this guy on our roster, that is for sure. He was a TD machine his last season at UT. Even saw some downfield passes to him that he tracked the ball fairly well in flight. He didn’t start as a frosh and he’s a Junior this (last) year so not completely ground down via over-use in his college career.

He would get 10x more touches and opportunities to change games than a 1st Rd WR. Get an Offensive staff that can actually install and teach an effective rushing game and he could transform the Chargers like LT did in his prime. Herbie could have a true balanced attack that defenses will have to respect at all times as BJ can take it to the house on any carry. Him and Eke in 2-back sets will be daring DCs to take risks on how they try to defend them both. Neither can be defended 1x1 for long.

hmmm … I was all in on WR in R1, now … you guys make me think. ok, I’m in. I didn’t see anything from Spiller to think he solved our long-running RB deficiency. He ran a 4.64, not close to the speed of BJ who, again, was comparable to LT.

TPB (and UTSD before that) has chirped for over a decade that a Rd1 RB is a complete waste. We’ve cycled thru too many bleh RBs to count. This could be the change we need and if Staley really wants to be a LOS team, he needs a superior RB imo.

Speed WR in round 2 or 3 then? . I’d hate to just land some Day3 WR that is fast but is a shit WR. That’s what Oakland did for 20 yrs, never fielding one great WR in all of their attempts

Get those two explosive pieces and boom - OL gets better, Herbie gets better, Scores go up, … everyone else gets less attention and are more effective. I’m in!
                      Bijan in the 1st and Zay Flowers in the 2nd would be cool.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

I've been wanting to draft a RB in the first or second round the last 2 drafts.

I wouldn't mind Bijan as well if he falls to us.

I also like UAB RB DeWayne McBride but thinking he is 2nd-3rd rounder and he only has 5 career receptions so the combine is place to show he can catch the ball.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post

Bijan in the 1st and Zay Flowers in the 2nd would be cool.
                          That wouldn't be bad - -but I am not sure Zay lasts until the second round. And my problem with draft Bijan is Telesco has drafted Kelley, he drafted Spiller and now another RB with a high round pick. Thats overkill to me

Now I get you can't pass up talent -- but not even sure what they have in Spiller yet. So I still think at 21 - its Edge, RT (depending on Pipkins) of a guy like Hyatt. Which means the pick witll be Bijan or Mayer

Comment

Working...
                          X