• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
    I doubt any of the "Big 4" are going anywhere next year. They're making another SB run next year... sans the historic injuries.

To get under the cap, you have to restructure at least 2 of them. Bosa/Allen save the most. Every dollar you defer/restructure makes the 2024 cap year smaller.
    2025 cap space eases quite a bit... extensions? I have no reservations seeing Bosa or Keenan on the roster in 2025. Injuries happen in the NFL Neither Keenan nor Joey are done.
    IMO, the only one I'd be worried about (age wise) is Mack going into 2024. If you cut Mack in 2024, you save $23 million dollars but eat $4.5 million. If you cut Keenan in 2024, you also save $23 million and eat $2.7 million.

Cutting Joey in 2024, saves $22 million... eating $7 million.
    Cutting Mike in 2024, saves $20 million... eating $7 million.

You can see who they think is the long-term solution by the way they structured the deals. Having said that, each one was structured with an out. Some more expensive (dead cap) than others.
    BFTB is saying Pip won't be prohibitively expensive !
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

BFTB is saying Pip won't be prohibitively expensive !
      Doesn't really matter.

I've cut Feiler, re-structured Bosa and Williams... It got me to $5 million. You can have a go... but it ain't easy...

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Besides... don't you want better...? Admit it.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

The point I am trying to make is that our road will be difficult but not impossible. TT/Staley started thinking about it long before now.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Doesn't really matter.

I've cut Feiler, re-structured Bosa and Williams... It got me to $5 million. You can have a go... but it ain't easy...
            https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/ro...b3830c701f064/
            I traded Joey to the Seahawks for #20 & 84. Signed some of our own ...no idea what Tranq and Pips cap would be year one, just took a guess. Couple restructures. Have over 8 mil left.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/ro...293631cc5ac5a/

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Tranq is near the final spot on the Top 50 Free Agents posted at ESPN.

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Sure , but Joey is worth something today being 27 and we can recoup perhaps a 1st or 2nd and 3rd ( based on what Chubb brought and Buckner) plus lose some of his cap hit.

He is worth more than Keenan in a trade and as you said the draft position is deep.

I'm not insisting this happens but I'd be on board if we hear realistic rumors.
                Do we know any teams that would realistically be interested in trading for him?
                Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Air Coryell
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2021
                  • Carlsbad, CA
                  • Teacher, Coach, CFO
                  • Send PM

I doubt any of the "Big 4" are going anywhere next year. They're making another SB run next year... sans the historic injuries.

To get under the cap, you have to restructure at least 2 of them. Bosa/Allen save the most. Every dollar you defer/restructure makes the 2024 cap year smaller.
                  2025 cap space eases quite a bit... extensions? I have no reservations seeing Bosa or Keenan on the roster in 2025. Injuries happen in the NFL Neither Keenan nor Joey are done.
                  IMO, the only one I'd be worried about (age wise) is Mack going into 2024. If you cut Mack in 2024, you save $23 million dollars but eat $4.5 million. If you cut Keenan in 2024, you also save $23 million and eat $2.7 million.

Cutting Joey in 2024, saves $22 million... eating $7 million.
                  Cutting Mike in 2024, saves $20 million... eating $7 million.

You can see who they think is the long-term solution by the way they structured the deals. Having said that, each one was structured with an out. Some more expensive (dead cap) than others.
                  The cap is why the draft is so important. Slotted salary for 4 or 5 years. You should always look to trade down and NEVER trade up (unless for a QB). TT has sucked at this.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                    The point I am trying to make is that our road will be difficult but not impossible. TT/Staley started thinking about it long before now.
                    Exactly. When TT/Staley chose not to re-sign Nwosu and traded for Mack, it was a clear indicator that they were going all in short term. When they re-signed MW it was because they needed top-tier weapons (with experience) for the SB push. When they signed JC Jackson, they thought he would be a guy that brought the defense up to snuff to stop the top offenses in the playoffs.

They had to know what it would do to the cap for 2023. Salyer was drafted to replace Feiler. JCJ was brought in to replace Vato. JT Woods was brought in to replace Nasir. And to that point... Pipkins was a complete bust. There was no plan to bring these guys back. Restructures were the plan... not bringing back FA's. Fox, Van Noy and Callahan were 1-year rentals.

It's hard for me to believe that KA, MW, KM, and JB weren't in the plans for 2002 and 2023. Their contracts are structured thusly. Whereas, if they wanted to re-sign Pip, Tranq, Adderly... they wouldn't have dedicated that much money to FA's in 2022. I'd bet my mortgage that the Big-4 will be back next year. And only the very cheap FA's will be back.

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I traded Joey to the Seahawks for #20 & 84. Signed some of our own ...no idea what Tranq and Pips cap would be year one, just took a guess. Couple restructures. Have over 8 mil left.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/ro...293631cc5ac5a/
                      Wow, that Bosa trade results in nearly $18 million in dead cap. That ain't gonna happen.
                      Remember when you talked me out of cutting Mack...? Now, you're getting rid of a younger, more productive player... and created millions more dead cap money...? All because a guy got pissed and slammed his helmet to the ground...? I don't think so. You keep the talent you have... and you try to go get that ring.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post

The cap is why the draft is so important. Slotted salary for 4 or 5 years. You should always look to trade down and NEVER trade up (unless for a QB). TT has sucked at this.
                        The draft is the most important. And lately, TT has done a pretty good job of letting the draft come to him. Herbert... Slater... ASJ.

Right now, we have almost all of the premium spots filled... QB, LT, DE, WR, CB.
                        IMO, we're real close to having a complete roster.
                        Replace Pipkins @RT, replace Callahan @slot CB, and Tranquill @LB.
                        There is absolutely no reason we can't find starters at those positions in rounds 1-3.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Exactly. When TT/Staley chose not to re-sign Nwosu and traded for Mack, it was a clear indicator that they were going all in short term. When they re-signed MW it was because they needed top-tier weapons (with experience) for the SB push. When they signed JC Jackson, they thought he would be a guy that brought the defense up to snuff to stop the top offenses in the playoffs.

They had to know what it would do to the cap for 2023. Salyer was drafted to replace Feiler. JCJ was brought in to replace Vato. JT Woods was brought in to replace Nasir. And to that point... Pipkins was a complete bust. There was no plan to bring these guys back. Restructures were the plan... not bringing back FA's. Fox, Van Noy and Callahan were 1-year rentals.

It's hard for me to believe that KA, MW, KM, and JB weren't in the plans for 2002 and 2023. Their contracts are structured thusly. Whereas, if they wanted to re-sign Pip, Tranq, Adderly... they wouldn't have dedicated that much money to FA's in 2022. I'd bet my mortgage that the Big-4 will be back next year. And only the very cheap FA's will be back.
                          Fox, Khalil, KVN were supposed to provide leadership. If they want to stay and try to get a ring with Herbert, there is a way...a team friendly deal/restructure.

Pipkins trained with Duke and made a quantum leap. Obviously, Salyer is in at either OLG or ORT.

All is very fluid, depending on who iremains + who is on the board.

It would not surprise me to see us go OT-IOL round one and two, with speed/weapon obtained later. I always desire continuity at OL across the board.

PON > BPA in '23.

Comment

Working...
                          X