• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Im against the quantity over quality model. I’d rather get just one or two star players. Herbie >>> the next 4 players taken by LAC. Suck on the cap - let the accountants figure out a way, i want stars!
    and yet super stars get drafted outside round one yearly, if anything, more often than not, the differences between a mid second rounder and all the players drafted between 5-32 are marginal…

it all depends on the draft…

In 45-55% of the drafts I’d rather have 3 second rounders than one first rounder between 5-10…in this draft rounds 2-3 are loaded, every draft is different but this one is loaded with talent all the way thru day 2 and very early day 3…

the chargers are not drafting starters for the 2023 season in this year’s draft, I KNOW, it’s kind of hard to wrap your head around it but it’s true, but they do need to add quality depth that can develop into starters in 2024 and beyond…thing is they need to badly improve depth in a lot of places, like Edge, TE, WR, OT, Edge, OG/C, LB, and Edge…
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

and yet super stars get drafted outside round one yearly, if anything, more often than not, the differences between a mid second rounder and all the players drafted between 5-32 are marginal…

it all depends on the draft…

In 45-55% of the drafts I’d rather have 3 second rounders than one first rounder between 5-10…in this draft rounds 2-3 are loaded, every draft is different but this one is loaded with talent all the way thru day 2 and very early day 3…

the chargers are not drafting starters for the 2023 season in this year’s draft, I KNOW, it’s kind of hard to wrap your head around it but it’s true, but they do need to add quality depth that can develop into starters in 2024 and beyond…thing is they need to badly improve depth in a lot of places, like Edge, TE, WR, OT, Edge, OG/C, LB, and Edge…
      This is kind of how I feel about. I can see the need for starters at every position you list for 2024. Maybe a bit early for Linsley but not too early to think about. If the Chargers can move out of 21 and get a 2nd and one if not two more picks on Day 2 - based on how draft boards look, I am doing it.

Drafting a player at 21 in the First Round doesn't mean they are can't miss

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

He was actually a decent RT for the Steelers. PFF had him graded above average in all 3 years there. Not elite, but solid.
        I have read their fans say he did pretty decent job at RT but here he was signed to play LG which he also did there.
        I never go to PFF to see players grading but it is useful to see where players in the draft had snaps, at what positions. Particularly OL.

I've hadn't noticed Fieler at all while he was a Steeler and he was decent here but he got eaten up at times as well by quicker DTs.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
          Charger Fan since 1978
          • Sep 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

This is kind of how I feel about. I can see the need for starters at every position you list for 2024. Maybe a bit early for Linsley but not too early to think about. If the Chargers can move out of 21 and get a 2nd and one if not two more picks on Day 2 - based on how draft boards look, I am doing it.

unless mckitty pulls a pipkins, we’re going to potentially (depends on free agency too) need new starters at TE, Edge, C, RB, and both LB spots in 2024…it’s important to remember that they have this draft and the 2024 draft to get all that filled before the 2024 season happens

"The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I have read their fans say he did pretty decent job at RT but here he was signed to play LG which he also did there.
            I never go to PFF to see players grading but it is useful to see where players in the draft had snaps, at what positions. Particularly OL.

I've hadn't noticed Fieler at all while he was a Steeler and he was decent here but he got eaten up at times as well by quicker DTs.
            The tape doesn’t lie, watch how he handled john houston as a right tackle for pittsburg…one of their fans did a video review on it, you’d have to ask pitt why they moved him inside, a lot of what they do their is about money, they are quietly one of stingiest clubs in the NFL when it comes to paying players, the bengals and others have the reputation but the steelers are up there and nobody talks about them like that…pitt had already paid someone else to play RT so fieler got fucked…

Comment

• QSmokey
              Guardedly Optimistic
              • Jun 2013
              • Kuna, Idaho
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

He was cut on March 15th. I would not mind seeing him back on a reduced contract because I agree he would be quality depth.
              No 'cesspool of misery and pessimism' with that post, eh, Doc?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

unless mckitty pulls a pipkins, we’re going to potentially (depends on free agency too) need new starters at TE, Edge, C, RB, and both LB spots in 2024…it’s important to remember that they have this draft and the 2024 draft to get all that filled before the 2024 season happens
                But wouldn't you rather have some players with experience in their second year over rookies as well. I understand they have two draft classes but still - -some players take time to develop

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Neither does drafting them in later rounds. Odds go down actually and again I'd agree on trading down depending on who is there and and who is gone.

For.instance, for me.....Bijan is there, I'm drafting him. Bijan gone, Kincaid there, I'm drafting him. Kincaid gone, then Flowers , then Branch,...those gone I might pick Murphy if he is still there.
                  Or if a team wants a QB and we can move 2 or 3 spots down, cool if we can still get Flowers for example.

After that I may trade down a little depending on how far and who the target is.

I just getting the impression since you keep repeating it, you would trade down who knows how far if you could get 2 picks and let some good players pass us by.

I'm not against trading down but not isn't an absolute thing I gotta do.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Neither does drafting them in later rounds. Odds go down actually and again I'd agree on trading down depending on who is there and gone.

Fkrminstamce, for me.....Bijan is there, I'm drafting him. Bijan gone, Kincaid there, I'm drafting him. Kincaid gone, he gone then Flowers , then Branch,...those gone I might pick Murphy if he is still there.

After that I may trade down a little depending on how far and who the target is.

I just getting the impression since you keep repeating it, you would trade down to 33 or lower if you could get 2 picks and let some good players pass us by.

I'm not against trading down but not isn't an absolute thing I gotta do.
                    Only guy - based on teh draft boards I have seen - worth drafting at 21 is Bijan

WR - so many options
                    TE - so many options
                    Edge - so many options

this year - yes. trading down for above reasons. I think the WRs in Round 2 work just as well in Round 1. Zay might be the only WR in Round 1 worth taking. What I have read about addison, Johnston and the OHio Kid with three names - not enough of a difference from what they have. More of the same. Flowers is the unqiue one. Hyatt does have speed but Scott or Reed in R2; trey palmer in R3

Edge or TE - same thing - there are clusters of Edge Rushers and TEs. Pick your poison. Kincaid is probably the best. Mayer is fine. Washington - dear go now. Not at all. Not explosive - just big.
                    '
                    For the right trade - I would trade to the top of the second round if truly unique top 15 talent is on the board - and right now - that might only be Bijan

One last thing - Telesco I think needs more picks, more chances. Certainly not less picks

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

The tape doesn’t lie, watch how he handled john houston as a right tackle for pittsburg…one of their fans did a video review on it, you’d have to ask pitt why they moved him inside, a lot of what they do their is about money, they are quietly one of stingiest clubs in the NFL when it comes to paying players, the bengals and others have the reputation but the steelers are up there and nobody talks about them like that…pitt had already paid someone else to play RT so fieler got fucked…
                      Well the fact Pitt did that and we didn't give him a shot at RT....tells me there is more to it that we don't know. Gotta trust the coaches on 2 different teams here.
                      And I'm not bagging on him. We got a cheaper replacement.

Also only beach is the one here who wanted to keep him. Everyone else saw cap savings and wanted him cut. Nobody is calling that a mistake.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2022
                        • White Rock, BC Canada
                        • Send PM

Only guy - based on teh draft boards I have seen - worth drafting at 21 is Bijan

WR - so many options
                        TE - so many options
                        Edge - so many options

this year - yes. trading down for above reasons. I think the WRs in Round 2 work just as well in Round 1. Zay might be the only WR in Round 1 worth taking. What I have read about addison, Johnston and the OHio Kid with three names - not enough of a difference from what they have. More of the same. Flowers is the unqiue one. Hyatt does have speed but Scott or Reed in R2; trey palmer in R3

Edge or TE - same thing - there are clusters of Edge Rushers and TEs. Pick your poison. Kincaid is probably the best. Mayer is fine. Washington - dear go now. Not at all. Not explosive - just big.
                        '
                        For the right trade - I would trade to the top of the second round if truly unique top 15 talent is on the board - and right now - that might only be Bijan

One last thing - Telesco I think needs more picks, more chances. Certainly not less picks
                        Like what you said...but there is some intrigue to me with a TE that is 6 foot 7 270 and ran 4.6. That is the same time as Everett

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

But wouldn't you rather have some players with experience in their second year over rookies as well. I understand they have two draft classes but still - -some players take time to develop
                          Of course, but my point is that they probably won’t be able to fill all the ‘depth holes’ with this draft…the chiefs went thru this in the last couple of years and they won a superbowl, it can be done but we need to draft smart…not the sexy stuff and no fucking trade ups for fuck’s sake, this team needs every pick it has…

bottom line is that the chargers are at the least “roster wise” in one of the best positions we’ve seen in over a decade so let’s not forget that fact when we talk about all these things, this team is set up to be a force for the next 5-6 seasons if they play their cards right…

Comment

Working...
                          X