• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I wouldn't do it. Juedy is injured too much and I'm not helping a rival get better.
    I am not concerned about making the Broncos better if it makes the Chargers better
    Just not sure Jeudy is the right WR for the Chargers - besides the injury concern - does he add what the offense needs outside
    There are worse deals I am sure for Ekeler out there

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
      Encouraging to see Sarell working with the big boys:

My confidence in Sarell just went way up. He’s got natural talent, he just needs to improve his technique.

And Slater is the gift that keeps on giving. He’s now got Pipkins and Sarell getting top notch training.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

My confidence in Sarell just went way up. He’s got natural talent, he just needs to improve his technique.

And Slater is the gift that keeps on giving. He’s now got Pipkins and Sarell getting top notch training.
        If Sarell is a quality back up OT - that is a pretty big time result.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I am not concerned about making the Broncos better if it makes the Chargers better
          Just not sure Jeudy is the right WR for the Chargers - besides the injury concern - does he add what the offense needs outside
          There are worse deals I am sure for Ekeler out there
          Look at the vid from Chargers @ Broncos from Jan. I feel like Jeudy is starting to emerge, he'll be 24 this season and could be just starting to blossom. Against the Chargers, he caught 5 of his 6 targets for 154 yds - 31 yds per. He got deep and caught long balls. He took WR screens for long gains. He carried the ball 3 times for 39 yds. He has some injury history, but he played in 15 of 17 games last year. Even with the dysfunction at QB, he had 954 yds receiving and scored 6 TDs. A team that has him could be getting a top WR talent just as he's entering his prime. I'd love to see him catching passes from Herbert.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Sarell in college was considered the cream of the crop...hopefully he realizes his full potential...

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Is there a link to that interview?
              Here’s a portion of Telesco’s interview today.
              Telesco reiterated Brandon Staley's comments about wanting Austin Ekeler back, says Jamaree Salyer will play right guard.

4. The Chargers have the 21st pick in the first round. When asked about the possibility of trading back to accrue additional picks, Telesco said the Chargers “typically” have first-round grades on 16 to 19 players.

“Certainly when you’re in that late first, there’s probably a little bit more of a thought,” Telesco added of trading back from 21. “Essentially at that point you’re taking a player that at least you have graded as a second-round player. That’s all really subjective. But if you can trade back a little bit and pick up a pick and still get maybe even the same player or close to the same player, then it’s a pretty good deal to do.”

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Totally agree. Have mentioned if Top 15 talent is on the board at 21, as long as not QB - take the player

But what if, there are a group of players with similar grades. Like the TEs, WRs and Edge - there might be a cluster where the rankings of 20 to 30 are pretty close. Meaning the top 15 - there is a cut off - than the next group and finally 20 to 30. If there is a distinct star player - sure. But if the rankings are tight enough - go for the good quantity of TWO players over one player

We agree - if you have a top 12-15 player left on your board - you cannot turn that talent down. But at 21 - its not like a top 10 pick - have no idea if a star or not. And in this draft - with what seems to be clusters of TEs, Edges and WRs - I would rather get two solid players.
                I'm not a fan of quantity over quality. The idea that we can't find a quality talent that will improve the 2023 Chargers with pick 21 seems ludicrous. Being indifferent as to who you'd want among, say, the next 5 seems like a failure in scouting.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I'm not a fan of quantity over quality. The idea that we can't find a quality talent that will improve the 2023 Chargers with pick 21 seems ludicrous.
                  Since a large number of draft picks will not live up to expectations, there is a lot of merit to quantity, especially if you are not in a position to pick a "can't miss" prospect early.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

I'm not a fan of quantity over quality. The idea that we can't find a quality talent that will improve the 2023 Chargers with pick 21 seems ludicrous. Being indifferent as to who you'd want among, say, the next 5 seems like a failure in scouting.
                    I am a data guy -- so I think analytically
                    If I see three TEs with scores of 5.9, 5.87 and 5.83, and they all fit the offence being ran and I can make a trade back and get another pick and still get the guy with a score of 5.83
                    I think if you can get a valued player plus another top 100 pick - your team is deeper and better

TElesco said it above - the cut off is 16 to 19 usually. So if the cut off this year is closer to 16 - that changes the players and the rankings

Chargers need a helluva lot. This idea they are the 21st pick away is nonsensical to me
                    They need WRs and Edge (plural for both), probably a RB with some juice and sizzle, TE, maybe CB, OT depth (always) and OC

Thats 10 players - aren't filling all of those with 5th -7th rounders and a bunch of UDFAs.

Also with two Edge and two WRs and their contract status - get those players in this year not next year

Comment

• charger1_sj
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2022
                      • Send PM

You may not be thinking straight. If there are no clear differences in talent between #21 and #41 you trade down if you can. If TT is correct (I myself said 15-20 blue chippers in this draft), then trading down is an option. If you want the clear cut blue chip guy then you trade up at the expense of blowing up the draft. Not a good idea for a team that has needs for players at different positions.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Since a large number of draft picks will not live up to expectations, there is a lot of merit to quantity, especially if you are not in a position to pick a "can't miss" prospect early.
                        Thats it. If a player drops for some reason - and they are in your Tier 1 Top 15 bucket of players - of course take the player
                        if not, I want more picks as some will flame out

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

You may not be thinking straight. If there are no clear differences in talent between #21 and #41 you trade down if you can. If TT is correct (I myself said 15-20 blue chippers in this draft), then trading down is an option. If you want the clear cut blue chip guy then you trade up at the expense of blowing up the draft. Not a good idea for a team that has needs for players at different positions.
                          And this would for sure be a draft day trade just in case that unique talent does drop to 21

Comment

Working...
                          X