• Show
Clear All
  • Maniaque 6
    French Speaking Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Québec city
    • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

We didn't use Nwosu properly. He should of been used as a LB, just as Seattle uses him. If we draft Nolan Smith he also should be used as a LB.
    A great coach crafts his systems around the players he has, not the other way around.
    When the Chargers drafted J. Bosa, I read somewhere that he doesn't fit our system.

Comment

• charger1_sj
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

When the Chargers drafted J. Bosa, I read somewhere that he doesn't fit our system.
      I lost track of what systems we used. Once LT left the team and we had Norv as our HC I felt thing would go south, and they did.
      Anyways I think the last DC that knew what we were doing was Ron Rivera. In my humble opinion Bosa's best fit would be DE in
      a 4/3 system. Staley runs some sort of odd 3/4 system. It hasn't worked but difficult to say why because of all the injuries.

Comment

• Boltgang74
        We Are The Storm!
        • Aug 2018
        • Send PM

Weird how Staley had such a successful defense with the Rams then went right downhill with us.He should have most of the players he wants this go round so time to earn the paycheck.

Comment

• QSmokey
          Guardedly Optimistic
          • Jun 2013
          • Kuna, Idaho
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
          Weird how Staley had such a successful defense with the Rams then went right downhill with us.He should have most of the players he wants this go round so time to earn the paycheck.
          Staley was hired, as is typical of the most recent Charger hirings, without much of a resume. A year with Chicago as LBs coach; a year with the Broncos, also as LBs coach. Then to the Rams as DC, again for one year, before we signed him to be the Chargers HC. That's pretty minimal experience, so I guess we shouldn't be surprised that he's been in over his head.

Comment

• charger1_sj
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
            Rams D, in particular the front seven was loaded the year they won the SB. Staley wanted to duplicate what he had with the Rams. That's why we loaded up in FA with
            Mack and Jackson. Didn't exactly go as planned.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

Staley was hired, as is typical of the most recent Charger hirings, without much of a resume. A year with Chicago as LBs coach; a year with the Broncos, also as LBs coach. Then to the Rams as DC, again for one year, before we signed him to be the Chargers HC. That's pretty minimal experience, so I guess we shouldn't be surprised that he's been in over his head.
              "Over his head" implies drowning. Making the playoffs with a badly damaged roster implies otherwise. Neither is completely true. 10-7 is absolutely true as is losing to the Jags. Neither proves anything going forward. Watch the damn games and whine or cheer to your heart's content.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

We didn't use Nwosu properly. He should of been used as a LB, just as Seattle uses him. If we draft Nolan Smith he also should be used as a LB.
                A great coach crafts his systems around the players he has, not the other way around.
                Staley wasn't here when we drafted Uchenna.

He was drafted for Gus' defense and he also played him at DE. I think it just took him a while to find his groove there. He was playing pretty decent on the back end of his last year with us.
                Staley had him at Edge/OLB in his system which is where he is playing in Seattle.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

He was drafted for Gus' defense and he also played him at DE. I think it just took him a while to find his groove there. He was playing pretty decent on the back end of his last year with us.
                  Staley had him at Edge/OLB in his system which is where he is playing in Seattle.
                  And Vato's play improved dramatically after StaleyD benching. A light went off re the new and different coverage techniques.

StaleyD did, from time to time in 2022, put together genius level game plans. More of that please.

Moore had DAL at #4 in scoring offense.

Rise Chargers, rise !!

In the name of Tommy Prothro, Bobby Beathard, John Butler and AJ Smith...

this will be a golden draft.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Everyone that plays that pass rushing position is inconsistent - everyone! They made a mistake on Nwosu. He was clearly an ascending player and they let him go.
                    He was going to demand, and demanded more money than what management was willing to pay him. Many players will demand too much money, and I'm pretty sure you know that you can't keep everyone. A lot of good contributors on the team had to be let go over the years.

People bemoan about how this or that player should have been kept. But when you get down to it, people will side with management over the players.​

Rams D, in particular the front seven was loaded the year they won the SB. Staley wanted to duplicate what he had with the Rams. That's why we loaded up in FA with
                    Mack and Jackson. Didn't exactly go as planned.
                    Austin Johnson and Sebastian Joseph Day are pretty good. Along with Morgan Fox. How a team struggles when they have good players in a certain position group is baffling. Murray is the weakest link. The team needs to find another linebacker, even after acquiring Kendricks.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Seattle runs a different scheme than Staley, even though both now run a 3/4. Uchenna plays more LB role and is used to blitz. In our system even though a 3/4 he was used
                      more as a rushing DE. In Seattle he's getting more tackles and more sacks because of the way he's used. I agree that he was on his way up with the Chargers. But for some
                      reason Staley didn't see it that way.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Seattle runs a different scheme than Staley, even though both now run a 3/4. Uchenna plays more LB role and is used to blitz. In our system even though a 3/4 he was used
                        more as a rushing DE. In Seattle he's getting more tackles and more sacks because of the way he's used. I agree that he was on his way up with the Chargers. But for some
                        reason Staley didn't see it that way.
                        May have also been his asking price. He wasn't signed til later in FA'cy and maybe they weren't willing to meet his price. He only got a 2 year deal in Seattle. Another good year and he will definitely get more.

We really don't know the circumstances. We just know he went elsewhere and assume we didn't want him.

We know they want Ekeler but not for what he wants. He just isn't a FA this year.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

He was going to demand, and demanded more money than what management was willing to pay him. Many players will demand too much money, and I'm pretty sure you know that you can't keep everyone. A lot of good contributors on the team had to be let go over the years.

People bemoan about how this or that player should have been kept. But when you get down to it, people will side with management over the players.​

Austin Johnson and Sebastian Joseph Day are pretty good. Along with Morgan Fox. How a team struggles when they have good players in a certain position group is baffling. Murray is the weakest link. The team needs to find another linebacker, even after acquiring Kendricks.
                          Both were hurt.

We have no idea what the guy was asking for. We know he didn't sign with the Chargers and got a decent deal in Seattle. We got Van Noy, now he's gone unless he's resigned for cheap.
                          We brought in Kendricks but have a bare cupboard at LB. Murray has had his issues.

Comment

Working...
                          X