• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Here’s the thing that kind of bothers me about the running back debate this offseason…seems like so many people agree that lombardi was absolute dog shit as an offensive coordinator and yet the same folks seem to trust HIS personnel decisions…Like HIS decision not to play spiller as if that somehow reflects on Isaiah and not on coach shit for brains…so many people on here have already decided that spiller is a bust or whatever and the kid never even got a chance to play…I just can’t make sense out of that way of thinking…moore likes to feature two RBs and ekeler knows this, it’s one of the reasons he wants out because it also happens to be a contract year for him…in moore’s offense he probably starts kelley or spiller and brings ekeler out as the change of pace guy, which honestly is probably best for the offense and even ekeler long term…ekler could extend his career by being this teams version of ronnie harmon…but I don’t think he wants to lose touches in this offense…
    Very good point that maybe Lombardi not playing Spiller was a reflection on Lombo and his skillset as a coach and not Spiller on the field

As for Ekeler - I agree with you totally. He is best used as a change of pace, third down back. But that isn't going to get the big money. Ekeler probably understands his stats and fantasy numbers will change if the Chargers are too have more success on offense this coming season. Its just not having healthy Allen and Williams - but now QJ is involved.

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

Here’s the thing that kind of bothers me about the running back debate this offseason…seems like so many people agree that lombardi was absolute dog shit as an offensive coordinator and yet the same folks seem to trust HIS personnel decisions…Like HIS decision not to play spiller as if that somehow reflects on Isaiah and not on coach shit for brains…so many people on here have already decided that spiller is a bust or whatever and the kid never even got a chance to play…I just can’t make sense out of that way of thinking…moore likes to feature two RBs and ekeler knows this, it’s one of the reasons he wants out because it also happens to be a contract year for him…in moore’s offense he probably starts kelley or spiller and brings ekeler out as the change of pace guy, which honestly is probably best for the offense and even ekeler long term…ekler could extend his career by being this teams version of ronnie harmon…but I don’t think he wants to lose touches in this offense…
      Agree with a lot of this.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ekeler falling in love with how Moore utilizes him and once he hits the market, realizes his best combo of money and utilization would be here on a team-friendly 2 year extension.
      Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• charger1_sj
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2022
        • Send PM

How do you know not playing Spiller was Lombardi's decision? I hear he was injured at the beginning of the year. Never saw the field maybe because Kelly was better?
        Ekeler touched the ball more because our run offense was bad, so we used the short passing game in lieu of running the football. So now the question.
        Was our run offense bad because of the RBs, OR because the O line blocking wasn't there?

Agreed that Ekeler will not touch the ball nearly as much. But hopefully that's because the run game will get better (Spiller included) and new OC with hopefully
        better designed plays.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

How do you know not playing Spiller was Lombardi's decision? I hear he was injured at the beginning of the year. Never saw the field maybe because Kelly was better?
          Ekeler touched the ball more because our run offense was bad, so we used the short passing game in lieu of running the football. So now the question.
          Was our run offense bad because of the RBs, OR because the O line blocking wasn't there?

Agreed that Ekeler will not touch the ball nearly as much. But hopefully that's because the run game will get better (Spiller included) and new OC with hopefully
          better designed plays.
          Probably all three

subpar running backs in the run game. Ek was good in the pass game
          subpar OLine play
          not the best OC calling and designing plays

Comment

• charger1_sj
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Probably all three

subpar running backs in the run game. Ek was good in the pass game
            subpar OLine play
            not the best OC calling and designing plays
            Let me summarize the Chargers run game.
            1st down- 5 yard run, 2nd and 5
            2nd down runner hit and stopped for a loss, 3rd and 7 or 8 instead of 3rd and short or first down.
            3rd down, pass incomplete or pass short of first down or pass to Ekeler for 6 yards short of first.
            Punt.

So the big issue, what happened on 2nd down? D is expecting a run, maybe they stack the box.
            Or the RBs fault.
            Or the O line failed.

Which one best fits the narrative?

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post
              I'm kind of shocked that O Line coach Brendan Nugent didn't leave with Lombardi. The running schemes were poor, not much running room in any gap. I hope they can figure out some good run blocking this year.

I'd like to see a little involvement dialed up for Horvath as well.

Nugent did shit IMO. He should have been let go. This OL just did not provide gaps to run through on a consistent basis. Right now we can only hope it was Lombo overruling him on blocking schemes.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

I’ll never understand why staley didn’t consider steichen for the OC job, there were so many reasons to keep him too, continuity, stability for your young stud, I was really miffed by that when it hapoened, especially when considering the unprecedented success that they had with herbert his rookie season
                One hundred percent. I felt exactly the same way. And when Staley favored Lombardi over Steichen it made me immediately question Staley's judgment. Lombardi was his OC when he was a QB in college, or something like that so Staley had a level of familiarity and comfort with Lombardi, which almost always turns to be fatal when you hire a coach or that reason. Actually it was good for Steichen; had he been retained by the Chargers he most certainly would not be a HC now. Hopefully Staley learned from the failure of the Lombardi hire and he will apply different criteria when deciding on future hires for his staff.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

2nd down runner hit and stopped for a loss, 3rd and 7 or 8 instead of 3rd and short or first down.
                  3rd down, pass incomplete or pass short of first down or pass to Ekeler for 6 yards short of first.
                  Punt.

So the big issue, what happened on 2nd down? D is expecting a run, maybe they stack the box.
                  Or the RBs fault.
                  Or the O line failed.

Short yardage - why are the Chargers so terrible in short yardage running the ball. Thats another area of improvement. The Eagles short yardage- were the gold standard in the NFL last year - I think,

The Chargers - for many years now - short yardage meant a punt or loss of downs.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2022
                    • Send PM

Short yardage - why are the Chargers so terrible in short yardage running the ball. Thats another area of improvement. The Eagles short yardage- were the gold standard in the NFL last year - I think,

The Chargers - for many years now - short yardage meant a punt or loss of downs.
                    There are two main problems.

1. The O line gets no push.
                    2. Lack of a bigger RB that can push 300lb guys and LBs.

For #1 Continuity on the O line and better blocking scheme for short yardage needed. Perhaps use a lead fullback for power like in the old days. This goes to play design.
                    If we can get 5 guys uninjured and playing together for any length of time it would be of tremendous help.

For #2 We do not need an Elliot type RB to resolve short yardage issues. What we need is a big fullback used for that sort of thing. In general and this is my
                    opinion a elusive quick RB that can break the long ones and catch passes is more valuable than 2 yards and a cloud of dust RB. Of course getting a guy like
                    Bijan is always preferable. But that's really a luxury that comes around once every so often, sometimes decades.

Pretty sure a combo of Ekeler/Kelly/Spiller can get the job done on the ground IF O line blocking is improved along with better play design. We won't be
                    elite on the ground but we won't lack for a run game either.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                      Charger Fan since 1978
                      • Sep 2021
                      • Send PM

the eagles have consistently invested and continue to invest in the trenches...up until 2021 the chargers had not made those types of investments...
                      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Punt.

Or the RBs fault.
                        Or the O line failed.

Lombardi Sucks?

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• charger1_sj
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Lombardi Sucks?

Noted for future reference. Should have added that option.

Comment

Working...
                          X