• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post
    I™m praying for a jumbo package of Matlock at FB and 330# Jerrod Clark (Horvath) at RB on short yardage plays. Or do what the Eagles did and just pushed Herbert forward by using Matlock and Clark (Horvath).
    There...fixed it for 'ya!

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post
      I’m praying for a jumbo package of Matlock at FB and Horvath at RB on short yardage plays. Or do what the Eagles did and just pushed Herbert forward by using Matlock and Horvath.
      last year they had ekeler take the snap directly from center during the Miami game which I thought "why haven't seen this more during the year on short yardage?
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

I hope so. Even though Lombardi called a fair amount of RPOs it felt like Herbert never called his own number, even when it was wide open for him. If he does that even once a game, when it is really safe and he can run out of bounds, it will help open up the run game.

TG
        He ran a bit more in 21 when he wasn’t dealing with his ribs. I do agree with dmac about not wanting him to turn into a running QB, but there are occasions where he could scramble for some yards and go out of bounds/down - something to make the D think about. I think back to the Sunday night game against the Steelers and how he killed them running.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

He ran a bit more in 21 when he wasn’t dealing with his ribs. I do agree with dmac about not wanting him to turn into a running QB, but there are occasions where he could scramble for some yards and go out of bounds/down - something to make the D think about. I think back to the Sunday night game against the Steelers and how he killed them running.
          The only college game I saw of Herbert was the 2020 Rose Bowl. He ran for 3 TDs, including one 30 yarder. His passing stats for that game were not that impressive. When we drafted him, I thought the most dangerous element to his game was going to be his running ability and that his passing game would have to be developed. I thought of him as a QB like Colin Kaepernick. Big, tall and athletic with a big time arm but was not the most polished passer but who could devastate a defense with his legs. The run game was a big part of Herbert's college game. I was kind of shocked when he showed in his first few games as a rookie that he was and NFL ready passer. I think Herbert could elevate his overall game by running a bit more, like he did in college. When he does run, he usually is very cautious about taking a hit, sliding well short of contact on most occasions. It would really help keep defenses off-balance if he became more of a run threat, like Josh Allen.

Quarterback Justin Herbert led Oregon to a Rose Bowl title on Wednesday that further cements his legacy as one of the greatest players in program history.

Comment

• charger1_sj
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

The only college game I saw of Herbert was the 2020 Rose Bowl. He ran for 3 TDs, including one 30 yarder. His passing stats for that game were not that impressive. When we drafted him, I thought the most dangerous element to his game was going to be his running ability and that his passing game would have to be developed. I thought of him as a QB like Colin Kaepernick. Big, tall and athletic with a big time arm but was not the most polished passer but who could devastate a defense with his legs. The run game was a big part of Herbert's college game. I was kind of shocked when he showed in his first few games as a rookie that he was and NFL ready passer. I think Herbert could elevate his overall game by running a bit more, like he did in college. When he does run, he usually is very cautious about taking a hit, sliding well short of contact on most occasions. It would really help keep defenses off-balance if he became more of a run threat, like Josh Allen.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-3-rushing-tds
            FYI, Josh Allen does not want to run anymore. Wants some fundamental change to the Bills offense.

In general designing plays for your QB to run is a very bad idea in my opinion. Having a mobile QB that can avoid sacks and
            make runs when needed is the best course of action.

Comment

• WindsorUK
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Windsor, U.K.
              • Send PM

No reason( if healthy!) JH can't run for a few first downs every game. Keep the D honest.
              And then( hopefully!) Kellen Moore dials up the howitzer!
              Frightnen Lightnen baby!
              Time to re-visit our Air Coryell days.

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-3-rushing-tds
                I'm a Ducks fan. I watch every game and here's what I remember about Herbert's time in Eugene.

The Ducks offense has QB runs woven into the game plans but on passing plays, Herbert was pass first and he only ran when the pressure forced it. In that Rose Bowl game the Wisconsin pass rush was pretty strong and pretty constant so he ran more.

His footwork was kind of stumblebum, so his accuracy was below average. But, by the time he stepped on the field as a Charger, his footwork was way better and so was his accuracy. Someone in the Chargers organization coached him up on the footwork. He's such a willing worker that I bet he's going to get even better. We got lucky that Miami liked Tua.
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                  His footwork was kind of stumblebum, so his accuracy was below average. But, by the time he stepped on the field as a Charger, his footwork was way better and so was his accuracy. Someone in the Chargers organization coached him up on the footwork.
                  Shane Steichen and Pep Hamilton. Maybe the best OC/QBC combo an NFL rookie QB could have today.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

I'm a Ducks fan. I watch every game and here's what I remember about Herbert's time in Eugene.

The Ducks offense has QB runs woven into the game plans but on passing plays, Herbert was pass first and he only ran when the pressure forced it. In that Rose Bowl game the Wisconsin pass rush was pretty strong and pretty constant so he ran more.

His footwork was kind of stumblebum, so his accuracy was below average. But, by the time he stepped on the field as a Charger, his footwork was way better and so was his accuracy. Someone in the Chargers organization coached him up on the footwork. He's such a willing worker that I bet he's going to get even better. We got lucky that Miami liked Tua.
                    I recall he got some tutoring and showed up at the combine with improved footwork already, no doubt got more improvement via Coach Hamilton before he entered his first game with bolts on.

That big QB taken third this year, Anderson, I think could be the exact same story. howitzer arm, big strong and can run though not a “runner”, but he wasn’t as accurate as scouts want. I saw a few breakdowns of film by “experts” that saw some fixable mechanics and footwork errors were causing his inaccurate throws. Fix that and he’s the top prospect by far imo.

“Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I recall he got some tutoring and showed up at the combine with improved footwork already, no doubt got more improvement via Coach Hamilton before he entered his first game with bolts on.

That big QB taken third this year, Anderson, I think could be the exact same story. howitzer arm, big strong and can run though not a “runner”, but he wasn’t as accurate as scouts want. I saw a few breakdowns of film by “experts” that saw some fixable mechanics and footwork errors were causing his inaccurate throws. Fix that and he’s the top prospect by far imo.
                      Anderson is not a QB - you got the name wrong.
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

I hope so. Even though Lombardi called a fair amount of RPOs it felt like Herbert never called his own number, even when it was wide open for him. If he does that even once a game, when it is really safe and he can run out of bounds, it will help open up the run game.

TG
                        Yep...LT ran out of bounds many times, which probably helped extend his career by avoiding those big hits...Herbie can do the same, or at least do the old baseball slide well short of the tacklers...

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Send PM

Anderson is not a QB - you got the name wrong.
                          He meant Anthony Richardson I think.

Comment

Working...
                          X