• Show
Clear All
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
    On Spiller...my take is that he got by in college with his natural abilities as a runner...instincts and vision...but was only a decent athlete. Hopefully a year of pro strength/speed/agility training, coupled with his inate skills, will ascend his game. After the draft, and looking at our roster, a lot hinges on that RB room, specifically Kelley and Spiller...we have to move on from giving Eke a gazillion touches...it wears him out, teams have miles of film on him, making us predictable, and Herbert HAS to learn to play without him anyway, as he is likely gone after this season.

Seems everytime they were questioned about the RB room, pre and post draft, they name dropped Spiller...Im guessing they really like the work he has been putting in this offseason...fingers crossed.
    We should not be going into the season with these RB options. Ekeler a contract dispute and a unkown players qualities. More confidence in Kelly and Horvath so that helps.
    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

We should not be going into the season with these RB options. Ekeler a contract dispute and a unkown players qualities. More confidence in Kelly and Horvath so that helps.
      I am not that comfortable with the RB room or the TE room. Still think Edge could be a concern and Safety as well

I am not saying the Chargers need to go crazy with the cap - but they can;t stop now. I think they need to re-work Vato, get about another 5m and shore up a couple more spots with quality not minimum level depth. Granted, they did well with Fox, KVN and Callahan last year. But still think that Telesco needs to get a bit more

KC signed Donovan Smith yesterday - -so they are continuing to add depth.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

We should not be going into the season with these RB options. Ekeler a contract dispute and a unkown players qualities.
        Agreed. I think they almost have to bring in a veteran. Ezekiel Elliot maybe.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
          I am not that comfortable with the RB room or the TE room.
          I'm a lot more comfortable with the TE room than the RB room. Everett is a borderline top 10 TE and Parham, if he can remain healthy, is decent. And nobody is asking for a trade.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Agreed. I think they almost have to bring in a veteran. Ezekiel Elliot maybe.
            at the right price, one year deal heavily laden with incentives - i would trust zeke over Ek, Kelley or Spiller if I needed three yards for a first down

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

at the right price, one year deal heavily laden with incentives - i would trust zeke over Ek, Kelley or Spiller if I needed three yards for a first down
              The grass is always greener.
              THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

In 2022, Kelley- 4.2 ypc, Ekeler 4.5. Kelley had stretches where he was ahead of Ekeler in YPC. Not great but serviceable.
                IMO play calls, run blocking schemes and execution let the players down.
                I can’t remember which game but kelley comes out in the first 1 1/2 quarters and had like 36 or 42 yards rushing on like 6 or 7 carries, then the last drive of the half he gets nothing and they went completely away from the run and he didn’t see the field in the second half…I’ll never fucking understand what lombardi was doing, never…the dumbest fucking shit ever, no rhyme or reason to his play calling…

I agree, the players had limited opportunities to show out and even when they did it didn’t lead to anything…
                "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

IMHO, Kelley has elevated himself to JAG status. His first two seasons he was less than JAG.
                  Perhaps you’re right, but I thought he showed enough to have justified increasing his touches, he was more effective than ekeler at finding yardage when the blocking was complete dogshit, broke some tackles and converted some clutch 3rd downs in some games…lombardi was obsessed with austin tho, ekeler was the only back he wanted to use…
                  "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I can’t remember which game but kelley comes out in the first 1 1/2 quarters and had like 36 or 42 yards rushing on like 6 or 7 carries, then the last drive of the half he gets nothing and they went completely away from the run and he didn’t see the field in the second half…I’ll never fucking understand what lombardi was doing, never…the dumbest fucking shit ever, no rhyme or reason to his play calling…

I agree, the players had limited opportunities to show out and even when they did it didn’t lead to anything…
                    Lombardi was terrible. Didn't seem to have a feel for the game. How many end arounds did he call - not even counting the botched play in Jacksonville. But they didn't work

So maybe a healthy OL will help the running game; a new play caller as well. If TelescoStaley do not sign any other RBs - I hope they have faith in Spiller to tote the rock 18-20 times per game.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                      Charger Fan since 1978
                      • Sep 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post
                      I'm kind of shocked that O Line coach Brendan Nugent didn't leave with Lombardi. The running schemes were poor, not much running room in any gap. I hope they can figure out some good run blocking this year.

I'd like to see a little involvement dialed up for Horvath as well.

I’ll never understand why staley didn’t consider steichen for the OC job, there were so many reasons to keep him too, continuity, stability for your young stud, I was really miffed by that when it hapoened, especially when considering the unprecedented success that they had with herbert his rookie season despite having the absolute worse offensive line in football…the lombordi hire might still haunt brandon yet, steichen already proved it again in philly and now has a chance to do it with the most physically talented QB to ever enter the league…to me jalen hurts was career back up material and look what shane did with him!

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Lombardi was terrible. Didn't seem to have a feel for the game. How many end arounds did he call - not even counting the botched play in Jacksonville. But they didn't work

So maybe a healthy OL will help the running game; a new play caller as well. If TelescoStaley do not sign any other RBs - I hope they have faith in Spiller to tote the rock 18-20 times per game.
                        Here’s the thing that kind of bothers me about the running back debate this offseason…seems like so many people agree that lombardi was absolute dog shit as an offensive coordinator and yet the same folks seem to trust HIS personnel decisions…Like HIS decision not to play spiller as if that somehow reflects on Isaiah and not on coach shit for brains…so many people on here have already decided that spiller is a bust or whatever and the kid never even got a chance to play…I just can’t make sense out of that way of thinking…moore likes to feature two RBs and ekeler knows this, it’s one of the reasons he wants out because it also happens to be a contract year for him…in moore’s offense he probably starts kelley or spiller and brings ekeler out as the change of pace guy, which honestly is probably best for the offense and even ekeler long term…ekler could extend his career by being this teams version of ronnie harmon…but I don’t think he wants to lose touches in this offense…

Comment

• charger1_sj
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2022
                          • Send PM

The run game will be fine once we fix the O line blocking. Not concerned unless "Ekeler isn't here and we don't bring in a replacement.

A more pressing issue is fixing the run defense, which has been more or less a mess. Staley's approach is to stop the pass, understandable
                          given today's pass happy league. But we got to do better stopping the run, its an integral part of the game and sets up the passing game.

It's also a mess on 3rd and long, we expect pass and they run for a 1st. That's got to stop.

Comment

Working...
                          X