• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

If TT was going to replace Woods with a draft pick, wouldn't it most likely have to be a higher pick than Woods was, himself? I mean... if you draft a safety in the 5th round, is it really practical to think he's going to start at safety over Woods, or anybody else?!?

Since the only draft that's taken place since Woods was drafted is the most recent one, that would mean Telesco drafted a safety ahead of QJ, Tui or Henley.

In your opinion, were there safeties available when the Bolts were on the clock that would have been better value than the players they actually selected?

Even if Telesco is wanting to upgrade over Woods, I'd contend he addressed more urgent needs with the players he selected.
    If TT/Staley liked “their” guy and he was there a round early…but that seems to be ancient history, this draft was not that (and included only UDFA safeties).

I think they like Woods to take that next step. If the O forces other teams to play from behind, well that’s Woods’ game IMHO. Guess we’ll find out.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
      Woods was behind DJ, Nas and Gilman and no, he didn't look good in spot play. I thought it was him trying too hard, thinking too much. HBK Might be great, might not.
      Currently, Nas' retirement left the FS job open for him. It won't take a lot to replace or upgrade the low avg Adderley.
      No doubt why he was drafted. Woods will get his shot at FS on the field and we'll see how it goes.
      By all accounts Staley's D concepts are hard on DB's (lots of reads and responsibilities). MAYBE that's why they did better when they were dumbed down when DJ was out . . . . . . . .

Comment

• Air Coryell
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2021
        • Carlsbad, CA
        • Teacher, Coach, CFO
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

By all accounts Staley's D concepts are hard on DB's (lots of reads and responsibilities). MAYBE that's why they did better when they were dumbed down when DJ was out . . . . . . . .
        Woods is a very good athlete. The question is, can he learn to be more physical and tackle? He has a great opportunity to play significant minutes with Nas gone.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
          Beef Before Gazelles
          • May 2021
          • Send PM

I don't know how common it is for a guy who's a poor tackler when he enters the NFL to become a good tackler once there.

I'm guessing not especially often.

There's a certain *want to* that's required for tackling, and guys either have it, or they don't. Of course there's a degree to which technique is important, but all the technique in the world won't help you much if the desire and fearlessness aren't there.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

I don't know how common it is for a guy who's a poor tackler when he enters the NFL to become a good tackler once there.

There's a certain *want to* that's required for tackling, and guys either have it, or they don't. Of course there's a degree to which technique is important, but all the technique in the world won't help you much if the desire and fearlessness aren't there.
            Agree if you lack as a tackler....tackling is something you need to work at. Your approach and technique.....and want to. Deion just dove at their legs or just got in the way lol, but he was a CB. FS is the last guy to beat.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
              Beef Before Gazelles
              • May 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Agree if you lack as a tackler....tackling is something you need to work at. Your approach and technique.....and want to. Deion just dove at their legs or just got in the way lol, but he was a CB. FS is the last guy to beat.
              Deion is an excellent example of an outstanding player who didn't possess the "want to" factor as a tackler.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                Outback Goon
                • Sep 2018
                • Australia
                • Send PM

Deion is an excellent example of an outstanding player who didn't possess the "want to" factor as a tackler.
                he made "a business decision"

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                  Beef Before Gazelles
                  • May 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

he made "a business decision"
                  I guess "protecting one's ass" qualifies as a 'business decision'. lol

I'm going to look into writing that off on my taxes.

Which reminds me of the line from the comedian Gallagher: "I smoke dope. Write it off on my taxes, too. I put it under 'Transportation'."

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                    Woods was behind DJ, Nas and Gilman and no, he didn't look good in spot play. I thought it was him trying too hard, thinking too much. HBK Might be great, might not.
                    Currently, Nas' retirement left the FS job open for him. It won't take a lot to replace or upgrade the low avg Adderley.
                    No doubt why he was drafted. Woods will get his shot at FS on the field and we'll see how it goes.
                    I really liked the good parts we saw from Naz - was disappointed in his inconsistency.

Nobody knows what we got in Woods. Apparently the staff isn’t shivering about iit but most of us are.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

^ This...for example, Launchwhiffy was with the Bolts for years...and never quit launching himself and whiffing...not to mention his nasty habit of friendly fire injuring his own teammates...hope the Bolts can coach Woods up, but not holding my breath...

Comment

• WindsorUK
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Windsor, U.K.
                        • Send PM

They don't do many hitting or tackling drills during the season, do they? I imagine during pre season they get some instruction but I for one am not expecting Woods to turn into a tackling machine.
                        We need someone back there who can at least hold on until reinforcements arrive.

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Woods had 57 tackles as a SR, numerous awards. https://baylorbears.com/sports/footb...jt-woods/10548
                          Not knowing how to tackle isn't the issue.

Comment

Working...
                          X