• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post
    Danario Alexander could have torn an ACL sneezing.

Keenan Allen tore an ACL making a cut on a route, no contact.

The non-contact tear is generally cleaner, and has less associated collateral damage, so the healing process is less complicated.

When a player gets hit in a way that rips various surrounding knee structures? *That* is when healing is most complicated and least predictable.
    Hi there Quack and Jolt. Fun anecdotes but that doesn’t answer any clinical scientific question. Listing a half-dozen names doesn’t get us anywhere. So I went and looked myself for an actual meaningful answer, interesting to learn my hunch was incorrect:

The ACL can tear with both contact and noncontact maneuvers. Approximately 70 percent of injuries are noncontact and occur when the athlete is trying to change directions, slow down or land from a jump​
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
      It's PFF and I don't like them but many here think they are king so here ya go. They have Derwin #1.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-safety-...023-nfl-season
      Lol - wasn’t PFF one of the early “ranking” sources to kick start the anti-Derwin crowd?

James is the league’s most dynamic playmaker at safety. There isn’t a better combination of run defense (75.3 grade), coverage (74.5) and pass rush (90.9). His 77.6 overall grade ranked 13th among all qualified safeties in 2022. He racked up two interceptions, two forced fumbles and four sacks. On any given day, the soon-to-be 27-year-old has the ability to be the best safety in football. If he has another performance similar to his rookie year (87.8 overall grade), he’ll be in the Defensive Player of the Year conversation.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Hi there Quack and Jolt. Fun anecdotes but that doesn’t answer any clinical scientific question. Listing a half-dozen names doesn’t get us anywhere. So I went and looked myself for an actual meaningful answer, interesting to learn my hunch was incorrect:
        I knew it was higher, I just went off the top of my head and didn't research it. Seen many non contact knee injuries. Most on turf.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Lol - wasn’t PFF one of the early “ranking” sources to kick start the anti-Derwin crowd?
          I gotta admit I chuckled when reading the rankings as PFF was put up as some kind of gold standard for judging players, yet somehow James is ranked ahead of Fitzpatrick.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

I knew it was higher, I just went off the top of my head and didn't research it. Seen many non contact knee injuries. Most on turf.
            you were right all along, good one BJ!

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

The thing about Dalvin Cook, if he were to become a Bolt, is that he could have his carries cut in half. He would be more effective and it would extend his career probably. He was the Vikes' bread and butter in the run game during his career there, in addition to catching 30-40 passes per season. But that would mean accepting a salary commensurate with being a part-time player and I don't know if this is what he's looking for.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                French Speaking Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Québec city
                • Send PM

It's PFF and I don't like them but many here think they are king so here ya go. They have Derwin #1.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-safety-...023-nfl-season
                Is it really 2023 ?
                Athlon sports had a similar list in 2022.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

Is it really 2023 ?
                  Athlon sports had a similar list in 2022.
                  Derwin has always been the #1 Safety. you can disregard all erroneous publications to the contrary

Comment

• chargeroo
                    Fan since 1961
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Oregon
                    • Retired Manager/Pastor
                    • Send PM

I saw Derwin has a high opinion of JT Woods. He thinks Woods is gonna surprise people! Hope he's right and not just blowing smoke.
                    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                      I saw Derwin has a high opinion of JT Woods. He thinks Woods is gonna surprise people! Hope he's right and not just blowing smoke.
                      That would explain no movement there at FS. All Woods has to do is improve his tackling from awful to average.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                        Beef Before Gazelles
                        • May 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                        When I read words like those that Derwin had for J.T. Woods, I always find myself saying the same thing: "What else is he going to say?"

He's surely *not* going to say "My man needs to increase his focus and work harder, or else he's going to squander a golden opportunity, and regret it for the rest of his life!", even if that's exactly how he sees the situation.

Derwin was likely asked by a journalist how he sees Woods coming along, and again-- what is Derwin really free to say?

On the other hand, if Derwin interrupted a line of questioning from his interviewer and said, "Enough about me. You know who's going to surprise you, big-time, this year? J.T. Woods", that would be different because Derwin initiated the comment, vs. having it inquired of him.

Journalists ask waaaaaaaaay too many vapid questions that fail to generate thoughtful, insightful responses from the players they're interviewing. As a consequence, we get far too much in the way of meaningless sports reporting, or 'blather', as I refer to it.

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

That would explain no movement there at FS. All Woods has to do is improve his tackling from awful to average.
                          Davis, Woods, Ja, and Leonard all have 4.3 speed. Davis is a starter. Woods & JaSir have a good shot. It's nice to have.

Comment

Working...
                          X