• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DerwinBosa
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Half the league doesn’t make Pro Bowls, it is something but hardly can stand anlone … and whats with the Peyton Manning example? What, is Peyton not HOF credible? For fuck’s sake, he was obvious first ballot worthy imo,. I’m already so bored with HOF discussion, why am I even posting about it? How do i get out of here? ARRRGGGHHH!

Peter King is a douche and not a very smart one.
    I think his point about Peyton Manning was that a beat writer shouldn't have to convince the voters that a player is worthy of the Hall of Fame. The voters should know that already.

Legitimate Pro Bowls certainly are an accomplishment to be proud of. But I remember Shannon Sharpe talked up Tyrod Taylor as a Pro Bowl quarterback. Tyrod "made" the Pro Bowl as an alternate in 2015. He is not a Pro Bowl quarterback.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

I think his point about Peyton Manning was that a beat writer shouldn't have to convince the voters that a player is worthy of the Hall of Fame. The voters should know that already.

Legitimate Pro Bowls certainly are an accomplishment to be proud of. But I remember Shannon Sharpe talked up Tyrod Taylor as a Pro Bowl quarterback. Tyrod "made" the Pro Bowl as an alternate in 2015. He is not a Pro Bowl quarterback.
      Exactly. Of course Peyton Manning is a Hall of Famer. But I have read in these conferences, that can take 6-8 hours - and reading Peter King all these years, he has talked how some presentations sway voters for those borderline candidates. And like you said, the voters should do their own research

And of course I was being facetious about Pro Bowls v All Pro. But every year, how many players opt out so that means more players get "Pro Bowl" added to their resume.

I also think the rule about 4 players each year could mean that some players get in because of the number being 4. The max number is 7 - it also works the other way - what if there are truly 8 WORTHY candidates. That 8th player shouldn't have to wait a year

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Johnston and Palmer sitting out due to undisclosed injuries.

Comment

• Riverwalk
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
          Here we go!

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Chargers DE Sebastian Joseph-Day on Kellen Moore and the #Chargers new offense

"It's night and day right now. Tempo, speed...just the complexity of it."​
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
              Beef Before Gazelles
              • May 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Here we go!
              D-bag auditions don't even start until the opening of training camp! Save it for when it counts!
              Last edited by Ghost of Quacksaw; 06-14-2023, 10:13 PM.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                Beef Before Gazelles
                • May 2021
                • Send PM

Broken femurs, dislocated necks, the usual stuff.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Seriously?

Comment

• SuperCharged
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Utah
                    • Midnight Toker
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Them dislocated necks can be a sumbitch to come back from I hear.

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

We need to emphasize stretching and hydration.
                      this is ricockulous.
                      P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                      P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                      P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                      P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

I think you misinterpreted what I meant. If Keenan Allen had been born in 1947 and played for the Chargers from 1968 through 1979, he wouldn't have had the opportunity to train like he does now. He may very well have smoked a ton of cigarettes and drank lots of beer during the offseason. If Lance Alworth, Paul Warfield, and the other great receivers of that era had the knowledge, money, and same opportunities to train the way today's athletes do, they certainly would have. Therefore, you would see a lot of them displaying similar examples of incredible athleticism, such as Odell Beckham's one-handed catch that fantasy football nerds gush over. With that in mind I think it's unfair to say something like, "I would take Malcom Floyd over John Stallworth." The players of the past shouldn't be looked down upon because they didn't do what today athletes do. They simply weren't able to.

Does that mean I think every single wide receiver from the 1960s and 1970s was better than those from this century? Of course not. Leaving biases out of it, if Lynn Swann trained the exact same way Marvin Harrison did, I would choose Harrison over Swann without any hesitation.

This type of argument will take place 30 years from now, 60 years from now, and 90 years from now. In 2053 there may be a quarterback playing for the Chargers who throws for 8,747 yards and 68 touchdowns in a 19-game season. He may clinch a playoff berth by throwing a last-second scoring strike from the Chargers' 20-yard-line to a 6-8, 260 pound wide receiver standing five yards into the end zone. Cris Collinsworth's 35-year-old grandson may say, "Woooooow! That's UNBELIEVABLE! Now here's a guy that knows how to sling it!" And you may be on this forum soiling your diaper (if they even have those anymore) while fighting against the youngsters saying this quarterback is ten times better than Justin Herbert ever was.
                        I think you misstate what you mean because you said it twice, now you just implied it again, only with a twist. This time it’s a fantastic hypothetical Time Machine swaparoo. Keenan came of age in the 70s and sat around all off season smoking and drinking and Paul Warfield was engineered in a bionetics super-lab and … Uh, ok. Whatever you say.

My analysis is based on what really happened. Today’s players are stronger and faster. They train harder and longer, the best do not sit around smoking and drinking. Normalizing all of that harder work and better life choices to make them equal is a disservice to them. I care about the what, not the why.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

Them dislocated necks can be a sumbitch to come back from I hear.
                          Yep...I hear they can be, ahem, a real "pain in the neck"...

Comment

Working...
                          X